Brexit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit aside we've always needed more ferries, the delays in and out of Dover are constant problems. We have always been too dependant on Dover maybe that will change now. The Government pulled the plug on Seaborne when it's big Irish backer pulled out, hope there was no pressure from the Irish Government.

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
      Nope - it's customs posts that might be short, not ferries.
      Doesn't matter how many ferries you have if the wagons can't drive off them and through customs.
      The whole point was that the extra services won't be going through Dover, which is where the worst customs bottleneck would be.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...7-january-2019

Comment

Originally posted by Ted.E.Bear View Post
        The whole point was that the extra services won't be going through Dover, which is where the worst customs bottleneck would be.
        I think it's more of a potential issue with Eurotunnel, as seems to have been highlighted by the news today.

Comment

Massive investment going into Liverpool superport...less goods will be coming from Europe from now on!
          Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by Kape65 View Post
            The Government pulled the plug on Seaborne when it's big Irish backer pulled out, hope there was no pressure from the Irish Government.
            Seaborne did not have ANY ships.

Comment

Which was actually very handy, because Ramsgate harbour wasn't deep enough to take the ones they planned to use.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Kape65 View Post
                Brexit aside we've always needed more ferries, the delays in and out of Dover are constant problems. We have always been too dependant on Dover maybe that will change now.
                Dover and Folkestone will continue to be the busiest ferry ports because it is the shortest crossing to the continent, and therefore the cheapest crossing. That isn't going to change.
                Other ferry crossings are already available, if there was more demand for these crossings there would already be more ferries operating on those routes.

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                  Massive investment going into Liverpool superport...less goods will be coming from Europe from now on!
                  Perhaps, but I doubt that there will be any significant change.
                  It's likely that more goods from other parts of the world will come directly from other parts of the world, rather than via Europe, but we already receive goods from all over the world and it is unlikely that there will be a huge amount of change.
                  There are a number of reasons why the majority of global trade is between countries that are close to each other, and in part this is a result of the ease with which goods can be moved and the costs involved with doing so (transport costs, not import/export duties).

Comment

What a royal mess the last 2 years have been, and yet bizzarely due to the complete inept and frankly pathetic excuse for an opposition government under Corbyn, the tories are still the best of a bad lot if we were voting tomorow. Its thoroughly depressing the shambles uk politics is in at the minute, so much so that overnight a rabble of MP’s cobbled together from labour and tories can poll higher than the lib dems.

Despite all that i still cling to the hope that a deal can be acheived to stop us “crashing out” of the EU. They are well known for 11th hour deals the EU so expect an all night marathon by May and Junker on march 28th with them both claiming victory.

I was having a chat with a friend yeaterday about it, he has given up caring at this point and his stance was “as long as corbyn doesnt get in i couldnt care less if we did the hokey cokey with brexit for another 20 years.

Comment

I get the impression that the only people who care enough to actually do anything are people who want to stay in.
                      There are a few extremist leavers (wearing hi viz vests), but for most brexiteers, it's just a thing to complain about, like the weather.

Most people's general view is "I wish it would get sorted and we don't like Corbyn".
                      Put "We'll sort it out and Corbyn won't" on a bus...
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I care but what can I do I wonder? MPs elected on a Brexit manifesto have morphed into die hard remainers. Short of another election which would raise the spectre of Corbyn in No10 I don't see what more we can do. Happy "crasher outer" here - all would be well, though I can't see it happening.

Comment

I can't see a "no deal" exit either.
                          While I am convinced it would be a disaster and understand that others don't, the mechanical parts of a no deal exit require a reasonable amount of time.
                          We and the Republic of Ireland would have to set up customs points and/or cameras on 260 odd roads between them, and that's not going to happen in a month or so.

You can do it, make the border like Switzerland, where goods have to cross at a limited number of places and cars are allowed to cross freely (with camera's and random checks enforcing the rules at the non-goods crossing points).
                          So people could cross without the customs checks, but goods in volume couldn't.
                          But not in a few weeks.

Comment

I would not mind a delay in order to get things set up if necessary but not a delay (as will almost certainly happen) created in order to give more time to thwart the whole idea of Brexit. And now comrade Corbyn has gone against his years of hating the EU to back a second referendum. Who on earth could ever trust that man who is so hungry for power he would do anything. What a sad state of affairs.

Comment

It's not his idea, he's as thick as it gets - he doesn't actually have ideas.
                              He's tried to delay doing what Labour actually announced a year ago hoping that the conservatives would fail and trigger a general election.

They'll support the amendment that rules out leaving with no deal and, if there's no deal forces a vote.
                              That'll pass.
                              They'll submit their own plan as an amendment.
                              It won't pass.

They'll insist on including their option in the referendum, which means there would be four options.
                              Leave with no deal, leave with the conservative deal, leave with the labour deal or remain.

And I have no idea where that would end up.

This referendum is likely to have to be binding, fixing the stupid mess that the last one left us with.
                              Which would mean a proper majority for one of the options and a framework for what would happen with a result.

And I don't see any of those options getting more than 50 odd percent of the vote.

Comment

An interesting discussion - and good to see a Brexit discussion rather than the usual slanging match.

The idea that people dont want to work in certain jobs may well apply to fruit picking - but a lot of people would still be perfectly content to work in factories or mines if (a) there were still factories and mines left to work in and (b) people in authority stopped despising and talking down honest work. A lot of people were very upset when their traditional industries vanished and blame the EU (with only partial truth) for that happening.

Those extra ferries are needed because with customs checks come delays. So the roads to and from Dover become lorry parks as you cant get the same number of lorries through the ports. No point in denying that is a consequence of a hard exit and that it will continue for a considerable time. There will be a substantial shock to a hard Brexit, although the worst case scenarios are probably exaggerated. For that reason a transition period in a customs union is necessary unless you wish to see shortages of food and medicines. . May's deal is unacceptable to many because it ties us more firmly to the customs union than staying in the EU., Northern Ireland could stay in an EU customs union and checks be across the sea - there is precedent for part of a country being in a different customs position.

Eventually more goods are likely to be made in this country and more food grown here. We could be more self-sufficient in food at present but it would mean eating a different diet and wasting less of what is available We do not have to keep flying food around the world. One of the advantages of Brexit might prove to more local production of food and goods. I dont personally have a plan for that as I'm not a farmer or a manufacturer but I expect entrepreneurs to seize those opportunities in time. With climate change shipping goods half way around the world is going to be increasingly unsustainable, Britain could be ahead of the game.

House prices in London are falling. It's rather surprising to see landlords not mentioning house price falls as a consequence of Brexit. Personally I'd see it as a good thing. .

Immigration is never going to stop, especially while there is a Tory government. Asylum seekers could be allowed to work and not be a drain on public finance or driven into crime or both.

I remember joining the EU - the public had no say in that. The vote to remain was after a campaign with a fair number of lies being told then.. We should have had a vote after the Masstricht treaty.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Dog size chart for tenants idea
                                  Rewolf
                                  My statistics for the top 3 breeds, enquiring tenants have in West Yorkshire and can't rent anywhere - Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Rottweiler. German Shepherd.
                                  I personally don't accept pets but year after year I always get the same enquiries from different people; "he's only a small dog...
                                  04-09-2018, 08:15 AM
                                • Reply to Dog size chart for tenants idea
                                  dazwalsh
                                  I have just taken back posession of a house used to breed pitbulls, this all despite a no pets policy. The damage is unreal. Starting with the outside the decking has been chewed and what was once a healthy grassed lawn pulled to bits leaving a muddy mess full of holes and dog muck. Brand new external...
                                  23-03-2019, 22:49 PM
                                • Brexit
                                  craig2222
                                  I'm wondering how many of you voted for brexit and would you change your mind if you had the chance ? . I didn't vote and I still wouldn't be sure if I would choose leave or remain if we had another chance...
                                  30-09-2018, 16:17 PM
                                • Reply to Brexit
                                  buzzard1994
                                  Care to summarise that video in a sentence or two? I tried to watch a little but it was so tedious I couldnt....
                                  23-03-2019, 11:00 AM
                                  Lawcruncher
                                  I do not thnk it is cruel. Rather I ask, as I do on other restrictions: Are you in BTL to provide homes or just places to live?

Everyone can quote a worst case scenario, but the fact is that millions up and down the land keep pets with no greater problems than hairs and the odd chewed slipper....
                                  23-03-2019, 10:54 AM
                                • Reply to Brexit
                                  buzzard1994
                                  Supermarkets simply cannot store fresh produce so this is far from sorted. Medicines are not "planned for" as the government asked companies to stockpile 6 weeks supplies and told the NHS not to stockpile. There are often medicine shortages anyway as companies decide where they can get the...
                                  23-03-2019, 10:52 AM
                                  Rewolf
                                  How about allergies though ... I would not buy a house that had a cat living in it, would not be able to go in my own property to inspect etc without becoming rapidly ill and feeling dreadful for days. Even with antihistamines

Years ago I went to inspect a property (not one of mine) it...
                                  23-03-2019, 08:00 AM
                                • Reply to Brexit
                                  Macromia
                                  So they have now decided to devote a bit of time to deciding things that they should have planned properly before triggering ArticleArticle 50.

I'm not at all surprised though, the whole thing has been a farce right from the beginning (from before David Cameron even started the motions...
                                  22-03-2019, 14:43 PM
                                • Unconscious humour from posters
                                  jta
                                  It seems to me there is a lot of unconscious humour here, the latest one for me is...........

Of course I know what he means but his brain seems to be running faster than his typing

Can I suggest that we post them here when we spot them....
                                  01-08-2012, 17:16 PM
                                • Reply to Unconscious humour from posters
                                  JK0
                                  Sadly, I've never met such a tenant. ...
                                  22-03-2019, 14:40 PM
                                Working...
                                X