Brexit

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit aside we've always needed more ferries, the delays in and out of Dover are constant problems. We have always been too dependant on Dover maybe that will change now. The Government pulled the plug on Seaborne when it's big Irish backer pulled out, hope there was no pressure from the Irish Government.

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
      Nope - it's customs posts that might be short, not ferries.
      Doesn't matter how many ferries you have if the wagons can't drive off them and through customs.
      The whole point was that the extra services won't be going through Dover, which is where the worst customs bottleneck would be.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speech...7-january-2019

Comment

Originally posted by Ted.E.Bear View Post
        The whole point was that the extra services won't be going through Dover, which is where the worst customs bottleneck would be.
        I think it's more of a potential issue with Eurotunnel, as seems to have been highlighted by the news today.

Comment

Massive investment going into Liverpool superport...less goods will be coming from Europe from now on!
          Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Originally posted by Kape65 View Post
            The Government pulled the plug on Seaborne when it's big Irish backer pulled out, hope there was no pressure from the Irish Government.
            Seaborne did not have ANY ships.

Comment

Which was actually very handy, because Ramsgate harbour wasn't deep enough to take the ones they planned to use.
              When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
              Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by Kape65 View Post
                Brexit aside we've always needed more ferries, the delays in and out of Dover are constant problems. We have always been too dependant on Dover maybe that will change now.
                Dover and Folkestone will continue to be the busiest ferry ports because it is the shortest crossing to the continent, and therefore the cheapest crossing. That isn't going to change.
                Other ferry crossings are already available, if there was more demand for these crossings there would already be more ferries operating on those routes.

Comment

Originally posted by islandgirl View Post
                  Massive investment going into Liverpool superport...less goods will be coming from Europe from now on!
                  Perhaps, but I doubt that there will be any significant change.
                  It's likely that more goods from other parts of the world will come directly from other parts of the world, rather than via Europe, but we already receive goods from all over the world and it is unlikely that there will be a huge amount of change.
                  There are a number of reasons why the majority of global trade is between countries that are close to each other, and in part this is a result of the ease with which goods can be moved and the costs involved with doing so (transport costs, not import/export duties).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Unconscious humour from posters
                    jta
                    It seems to me there is a lot of unconscious humour here, the latest one for me is...........

Of course I know what he means but his brain seems to be running faster than his typing

Can I suggest that we post them here when we spot them....
                    01-08-2012, 17:16 PM
                  • Reply to Unconscious humour from posters
                    KeepTheFaith
                    Facebook have never been any good at keeping anything secure. Let alone cupboards. ­čĄú...
                    20-02-2019, 09:35 AM
                  • Reply to Unconscious humour from posters
                    JK0
                    I'm still confused! ...
                    18-02-2019, 20:35 PM
                  • Brexit
                    craig2222
                    I'm wondering how many of you voted for brexit and would you change your mind if you had the chance ? . I didn't vote and I still wouldn't be sure if I would choose leave or remain if we had another chance...
                    30-09-2018, 16:17 PM
                  • Reply to Brexit
                    Macromia
                    Perhaps, but I doubt that there will be any significant change.
                    It's likely that more goods from other parts of the world will come directly from other parts of the world, rather than via Europe, but we already receive goods from all over the world and it is unlikely that there will be a huge...
                    17-02-2019, 03:34 AM
                  • Reply to Brexit
                    Macromia
                    Dover and Folkestone will continue to be the busiest ferry ports because it is the shortest crossing to the continent, and therefore the cheapest crossing. That isn't going to change.
                    Other ferry crossings are already available, if there was more demand for these crossings there would already...
                    17-02-2019, 03:20 AM
                  • Reply to Brexit
                    jpkeates
                    Which was actually very handy, because Ramsgate harbour wasn't deep enough to take the ones they planned to use.
                    15-02-2019, 15:57 PM
                  • Reply to Brexit
                    ram
                    Seaborne did not have ANY ships....
                    15-02-2019, 15:35 PM
                  • Pilot Error
                    JK0
                    I bet you guys know what I mean by pilot error.

It's when your tenant calls you out saying something is faulty when they don't know how to use it. Today the lady who couldn't open her Washer Dryer a couple of months ago called to tell me that the heater in her spare room wasn't working....
                    29-12-2015, 19:03 PM
                  • Reply to Pilot Error
                    JK0
                    I do. However he was desperate for somewhere to live, and I had my hands full with another flat, so did not want two vacant ones.

My friend just visited me at home, and tells me he took his old 2nd hand fridge freezer over to my flat. There's nowhere for it to go in the kitchen, and actually...
                    15-02-2019, 15:09 PM
                  Working...
                  X