Dog size chart for tenants idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dog size chart for tenants idea

My statistics for the top 3 breeds, enquiring tenants have in West Yorkshire and can't rent anywhere - Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Rottweiler. German Shepherd.
    I personally don't accept pets but year after year I always get the same enquiries from different people; "he's only a small dog and he's house trained" ...Humouring myself I ask "What breed is he?" Here follows the ridiculous reply ..."He's a really small German shepherd" ...Just as I anticipated! (I reply in my head) Oh really what a game changer I'd said no pets but I'd really like to meet him, is he free tonight?
    What would be the top three breeds you receive enquiries about despite clearly stating No pets ?

Not dogs - but how about 2 parrots in a cage? Harmless you may think - but when the cage is against the wall with a door frame in reach the damage was considerable & I don't even want to think what the stains on the paintwork were!

Comment

'Tenant has some fish'

Imagining a few goldfish in a bowl, I accepted. Turns out to be fifteen to twenty tanks in a two bedroom flat, together with all the paraphernalia for keeping them.

And Lawcruncher thinks we are cruel for not allowing pets!

Comment

JK0, that sounds like an aquarium! I hope the tenant shared the proceeds of their ticket sales with you

I can empathize with both sides. I'm a tenant and would love pets, I recently asked my landlord if they minded me keeping hamsters, but they said they've had bad experiances in the past with tenants and pets so maintain a zero tolerance now. I'm very responsible and a hamster is minimal risk, but I can appreciate that they don't know me, or necessarily hamsters, plus no one can guarantee 100% that even something like a hamster won't trot down the hallway one day and have a wee in the corner on the carpet. So although it's disappointing to hear no I can understand the LLs position.

Comment

Why not just provide cheap carpets in properties for tenants with cats and dogs.

Comment

My experience is that most tenants want to have a pet but don't want to pay any additional rent to cover the cost or replacing the carpets and fixing the damage that pets do.
            It's a commercial decision, not anything to do with not wanting anyone to have a pet.

And of all pets, cats are the worst.
            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
              My experience is that most tenants want to have a pet but don't want to pay any additional rent to cover the cost or replacing the carpets and fixing the damage that pets do.
              It's a commercial decision, not anything to do with not wanting anyone to have a pet.

And of all pets, cats are the worst.
              There's nothing more destructive than a puppy under 18 months left unsupervised and uncaged/unpenned for even a very short time. I am a pet sitter (pops in for an hour while the owner is at work) and have experienced the aftermath scenes of horrific devastation! 🙂 Having said that, if they are trained well they can grow up to be quite house-friendly dogs, well apart from the pet hairs and muddy paws!

Theoretically it's about (trying to) manage the situation to minimise the destruction. But there will inevitably be at least some destruction. Its not unreasonable to expect to pay for that destruction with a larger deposit or to accept a lesser quality of accommodation and provide your own carpets etc. So I am surprised people with pets won't accept that. I can only think that there must be other Landlord’s daft enough not to charge the extra else the tenant pet owners wouldn't have the choice.

Having a destructive pet isn't taken into account by fair rent officers and rent assessment committees when working out what the rent should be. 🤔

Comment

Interesting!

My experience is that puppies damage furniture and chewable things* (and pooh and wee everywhere).
                Cats scratch pretty much everything (including carpet, walls and wooden skirting and doorframes** and pooh and wee in places that are hidden from view.

*which aren't mine.
                **which are mine.

Either way, a dog or cat requires new carpets.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You forgot cats bringing up food and bile and furballs! I mainly see damage done to furniture and carpets with cats. Puppies seem to destroy anything. I have witnessed the result of a puppy weimaraners work on a very expensive wooden floor in a rented house. So I don't blame landlord's being wary about having pets.

People like myself however would be lost without their dog or cat and rely on them as a major source of companionship, sad as that may be.

Probably tiled floors downstairs and cheapest carpets upstairs and bring your own furniture and rugs if you want anything else would be the best solution I can think of.

Comment

Sounds like some unfortunate experiences with cats.
                    Problem with cats is the same as the problem with dogs, if they're not trained / acclimatised properly they will make a mess.

Our LL was kind enough to let us keep a cat over a 3year tenanacy and we had no problems with damage etc, however we did put 4 cat scratching towers / cat trees around the property to ensure kitty had something to work on instead.
                    Never had any issues with furballs either, but again we bought a cat supplement that helped chewed fur &c to pass out the "other end" into the litter tray

Comment

I lived with various cats for 20 years or so and found while most didn't cause any issue or damage, some did like to claw the stairs carpets but only when young. But then they had other cats and children to play with, a garden and woods to explore and trees to scratch. A solo cat kept in a second floor flat however may be a different story. Also whilst some tenants will know how to provide for their pet i.e. scratching towers and Bram Stoker mentioned, others may not. Unfortunately for us responsible pet-wanting tenants, LLs understandably won't always know the tenant well enough to judge and therefore may feel safer saying no to pets than finding out the hard way whether the pets cause damage.

Comment

Yes many aren't trained properly or exceedingly difficult to train. Most of my clients are responsible pet owners who do their best for their pets. But they aren't dog/cat trainer experts so they don't have perfectly behaved pets.

Some of my clients have several scratching posts in strategic positions but the cats still prefer the sofa!
                        ​​​​​​
                        About 1 in 5 cats I look after seem to get sensitive stomach and furballs now and then. The owners usually say they have had the vets check them. It's not difficult to clean up though wet wipes usually do a good job of it. I will tell them about the furball supplements.

Comment

Originally posted by KeepTheFaith View Post
                          Yes many aren't trained properly or exceedingly difficult to train. Most of my clients are responsible pet owners who do their best for their pets. But they aren't dog/cat trainer experts so they don't have perfectly behaved pets.
                          You'll likely know better than most that - just like humans - cats and dogs vary as individuals. Just as some people will be hard to educate in school or work with, some pets will learn/behave better than others and no one say 100% that a cat or dog will or won't cause damage. Hence there will always be an element of risk with pets in properties and I guess it depends whether the landlord is happy to justify it.

Comment

Cats "soften" where they sleep with their claws.
                            You can't train them not to, and declawing is inhumane.

You can't fully house train cats or dogs.
                            You can be 99% confident, but once there's been an accident, that spot is then OK from then on.

I keep dogs and cats (and used to keep rabbits in the house).
                            You have to be realistic about them.

Comment

Originally posted by zanorias View Post

You'll likely know better than most...
                              Of course it could just be I tend to attract those types of pets... Just like JK0 tends to attract those types of tenants. 😂

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Dog size chart for tenants idea
                                Rewolf
                                My statistics for the top 3 breeds, enquiring tenants have in West Yorkshire and can't rent anywhere - Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Rottweiler. German Shepherd.
                                I personally don't accept pets but year after year I always get the same enquiries from different people; "he's only a small dog...
                                04-09-2018, 08:15 AM
                              • Reply to Dog size chart for tenants idea
                                JK0
                                I can't imagine anyone voluntarily using that agreement now. With friends like them... eh? ...
                                25-03-2019, 19:07 PM
                                Lawcruncher
                                I have had a look at the Act and cannot see anything in the list of "Consumer contract terms which may be regarded as unfair" which obviously applies. An important provision though is the one which says: "A term which has the object or effect of irrevocably binding the consumer to terms...
                                25-03-2019, 12:51 PM
                                dazwalsh
                                Im pretty sure it was added to the unfair terms which comes under the consumer rights act 2015.

i know the RLA tenancy agreements were changed from no pets to “any request in wiriting for a pet will not be unreasonably refused.” or something along those lines....
                                25-03-2019, 12:11 PM
                              • Brexit
                                craig2222
                                I'm wondering how many of you voted for brexit and would you change your mind if you had the chance ? . I didn't vote and I still wouldn't be sure if I would choose leave or remain if we had another chance...
                                30-09-2018, 16:17 PM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                jpkeates
                                Junker and Barnier haven't made any claims that the Britain needs to be in the EU to eat, breathe and have toilet paper.
                                They have only ever pointed out that being in the EU benefits its members (which they would, they believe that being in the EU is better than not being in the EU - and they...
                                25-03-2019, 10:34 AM
                              • Pilot Error
                                JK0
                                I bet you guys know what I mean by pilot error.

It's when your tenant calls you out saying something is faulty when they don't know how to use it. Today the lady who couldn't open her Washer Dryer a couple of months ago called to tell me that the heater in her spare room wasn't working....
                                29-12-2015, 19:03 PM
                              • Reply to Pilot Error
                                JK0
                                My friend just phoned regarding the council tax...

He moved in 1st Feb, so should not have to pay any council tax until 1st April!
                                25-03-2019, 10:21 AM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                islandgirl
                                Junker and Barnier tell people that Britain needs to be in the EU in order to exist, eat, breathe and have enough toilet paper (oh and to avoid WW3) and you believe them! There really is no answer to anyone that naive, although at least even you admit that the EU has not been responsible for keeping...
                                25-03-2019, 08:28 AM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                buzzard1994
                                Our government tells people "everything will be fine " - and you believe them! There really is no answer to anyone that naive, although at least even you admit now that we may be without lettuce. My wife's Brexit lettuces are doing very nicely and we'll be able to start eating them soon. We...
                                25-03-2019, 08:20 AM
                              Working...
                              X