Delinquent meanness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delinquent meanness

You guys know I have been renovating a flat since March. The first month, I kept hearing a 'peep' noise every few minutes, so I bought a new battery for the mains linked smoke alarm. However, I still heard the 'peep' and came to the conculsion that it is next door's smoke alarm. Surprising, since the flat is occupied, and I'm amazed anyone can sleep with this.

A couple of months ago, I saw my neighbours, and mentioned the 'peep'.

'Oh, yes,' he said. 'Our electrician is coming to replace the battery'.

'You are waiting for an electrician to replace a battery?' I said.

'Yes, he said he will bring a battery round when he has time.'

Now, I can't imagine any homeowner calling an electrician to do that. Obviously, tenants get repairs free of charge, so they are waiting for that to happen. It's still 'peeping' today. How mad though to put up with that noise for months because you are too tight to buy a battery?

Anyone got any other stories in this vein?

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
    You guys know I have been renovating a flat since March.
    Blooming 'eck JKO, how long is this going to take? Are you doing it all alone cos you're too tight to pay trades?

Re the 9V battery, what I do (and have done) is buy one from Poundland, 60p after tax, and change it for them myself the next time I'm around.
    Builds goodwill, boosts your reputation as a good landlord, a favour in the bank with the neighbouring LL, doesn't annoy your new tenants (if you ever finish it). Everyone's a winner!

Comment

That's mental. Alarm beeps drive me mad.
      Do you think the electrician has any intention of turning up with a battery, or just wanted to get them off the phone.
      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

Blooming 'eck JKO, how long is this going to take? Are you doing it all alone cos you're too tight to pay trades?

Re the 9V battery, what I do (and have done) is buy one from Poundland, 60p after tax, and change it for them myself the next time I'm around.
        Builds goodwill, boosts your reputation as a good landlord, a favour in the bank with the neighbouring LL, doesn't annoy your new tenants (if you ever finish it). Everyone's a winner!
        Not too tight. Just can't get anyone to do a decent job. Yes, I will do as you suggest before my one is let.

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          That's mental. Alarm beeps drive me mad.
          Do you think the electrician has any intention of turning up with a battery, or just wanted to get them off the phone.
          No, I don't. Just I guess you'd have to be as stupid to think that was going to happen, as you would be to not buy a battery yourself.

Comment

They might not be too tight to buy a battery, just not have the capacity to know how to replace it, or to use google to find out about it. Sometimes very intelligent people can't sort this kind of problem out, and sometimes people are just too lazy. They might need Mummy's help or their social worker.

Comment

My wife’s first car was a 1999 Renault Clio (bought in 2010, she didn’t learn to drive until later in life) with 5000 miles on the clock. One previous lady owner from new.

There were receipts in the car’s original faux-leather folder for *everything* you could think of that a car would need over a ten year lifespan. Even, and I kid you not, for putting air in the tyres.

I’m not sure what I’m more horrified at, the little old lady paying someone else to put air in the tyres, or the garage for charging her to do so.

Comment

Some of those detectors can be a bit stiff to remove; I hate having to do it.

Comment

When I worked in a lettings agents at weekends, all the Sunday morning calls were tenants who had blocked their toilets up Saturday night / Sunday morning ... they must save it all up for one massive weekend clear out. Then "wash their hands of it"

They just wouldn't do that if it were them footing the emergency plumber bill
                  I have it signed for that if they caused a blockage to the toilet or sink ..it's their responsibility to get it unblocked or pay the bill for it sorting

I see the look on their faces switch from wanna be carefree toilet blocker or happy fat down sink pourer 😂 to responsible adult in 20 seconds of reading it

Comment

My friend who rented a flat from me recently tells me he will not use the tumble drier, as it is very expensive, and will not put clothes out on the line as someone will steal them.

'No-one will steal your sh*t!' I told him.

'One man's rubbish is another man's treasure' he replied.

'Look, if you make that flat damp, I will evict you', I said. Let's hope his wife talks some sense into him.

Comment

My friend who rented a flat from me recently tells me he will not use the tumble drier, as it is very expensive, and will not put clothes out on the line as someone will steal them.

'No-one will steal your sh*t!' I told him.

'One man's rubbish is another man's treasure' he replied.

'Look, if you make that flat damp, I will evict you', I said. Let's hope his wife talks some sense into him.
                      Has he considered using a dehumidifier? I switched my tumble dryer for one a few years ago, much more energy efficient plus useful for general humidity control during winter. My clothes will dry within 5-6 hours. Can't stand that musty smell from clothes being damp too long

Comment

Sometimes smoke alarms are in places too difficult to reach without a ladder, tenant may not have a ladder. There are householders who would call in a handyman to do the job - and others who would get a handyman to move the smoke alarm.

Also true that people will buy, or steal, something you might consider valueless. Supply a dehumidifier - and dont rent to friends.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzard1994 View Post
                          Supply a dehumidifier -
                          He'd be too tight to pay for the electricity. Seems to have no problem paying £80 per month for Sky though.

Comment

He'd be too tight to pay for the electricity.

And yet you trust him to pay rent.

Understand about the renovation though - sometimes it seems harder work to get someone in than just to get on with it.

Comment

Peace at last!

I heard neighbour's voice on the way in today, so asked his son to ask dad if I can replace the smoke alarm battery. 'In ten minutes', I was told.

<Amazing that someone offering a favour is asked to wait.>

Anyway, neighbour's smoke alarm was hanging loose from its wires, as neighbour thought that was how to replace the battery. I showed him the little drawer in the side for the battery, and replaced with a new Duracell.

No more peeps!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Unconscious humour from posters
                                jta
                                It seems to me there is a lot of unconscious humour here, the latest one for me is...........

Of course I know what he means but his brain seems to be running faster than his typing

Can I suggest that we post them here when we spot them....
                                01-08-2012, 17:16 PM
                              • Reply to Unconscious humour from posters
                                JK0
                                I believe butlers are popular in the USA. ...
                                22-09-2019, 21:33 PM
                              • Brexit
                                craig2222
                                I'm wondering how many of you voted for brexit and would you change your mind if you had the chance ? . I didn't vote and I still wouldn't be sure if I would choose leave or remain if we had another chance...
                                30-09-2018, 16:17 PM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                islandgirl
                                I give up. Blind loyalty is a wonderful thing if you have it. Let us see what happens next....
                                22-09-2019, 21:31 PM
                              • Pilot Error
                                JK0
                                I bet you guys know what I mean by pilot error.

It's when your tenant calls you out saying something is faulty when they don't know how to use it. Today the lady who couldn't open her Washer Dryer a couple of months ago called to tell me that the heater in her spare room wasn't working....
                                29-12-2015, 18:03 PM
                              • Reply to Pilot Error
                                JK0
                                My friend's BMW is still at the garage, so he has been using his old Audi A6 automatic estate.

He rang me this afternoon: Could I give him a lift to pick up his wife from work, as the Audi was now playing up? The symptoms he described sounded like a binding handbrake, so I suggested I put...
                                22-09-2019, 19:33 PM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                Macromia
                                And the EU cannot leave the withdrawal agreement without the UK's permission - the arrangement works both ways.
                                But, both the UK and the EU get to leave the withdrawal agreement once a more permanent trade deal of some type has been agreed (or if the transition period comes to an end without a...
                                22-09-2019, 18:27 PM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                Kape65
                                Looks like the government is on the verge of repatriating 150,000 holidaymakers over the next 48 hours and yet people seem to think they're not capable of putting food or medicine on the shelves after we leave the EU.
                                22-09-2019, 17:53 PM
                              • Reply to Unconscious humour from posters
                                JK0
                                'But you let me have a cat. You might have guessed the cat would pee on the floor, so it's fair wear & tear.' ...
                                22-09-2019, 11:33 AM
                              • Reply to Brexit
                                jpkeates
                                That's great.

Still no meaningful and definitive list of the proposed benefits anywhere.
                                Even if only so that in, say, a decade, we can check to see if they've been achieved.

And, given that there are significant concerns about leaving (which aren't countered by labelling...
                                21-09-2019, 09:39 AM
                              Working...
                              X