One thing after another...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing after another...

You guys may remember I am presently re-tiling the bathroom of my first Reading rental flat which fell vacant in Feb. Since I got the place cleaned up, I have had to replace a shower head, a window handle, the hob, the dishwasher, the worktop, the bathroom boxing, and for good measure the bathroom plasterboard.

Two weeks ago I went over to start work and heard the water softener regenerating itself. It never stopped though, so after about half an hour I called Harveys to repair it. They showed up on Thursday, and charged me £471 for re-building the thing. Today I noticed the airing cupboard housing the softener was still wet, so investigated further. Oh, for goodness sake... Now the hot water cylinder is leaking!

Hey ho...

At least when you do get round to lettting it out you'll know that everything is in good condition. LOL.

Comment

Thanks Nukecad.

Unfortunately the hot water tank is pressurised, so I have to get a tradesman to replace it. That's a stressful process, as tradesmen don't seem to like me. Not sure if it's my looks, or that they can tell they won't be able to bullsh*t me.

I met two tradesmen to quote for things last week, and both said they would respond as soon as they got home. Not a dickie bird so far...

Hey ho, again...

Comment

Blinkin' ek JKO! You've replaced the dishwasher? A dishwasher in my house is a family member - usually the one that's just gone to uni . What's a water softener? I just tried to beat my water to death but it didn't make any difference - it's still flopping around the place.

Comment

Another softener today!

Good grief. I guess I should not be surprised, as these softeners I bought nine years ago all seem to be packing up at once. The engineer told me that the resin is held in a stainless steel mesh, which corrodes and releases the resin into the drain.

I'm wondering if some of it ends up in the hot water tank, as this flat's tank had trouble last week also.

Comment

They are pretty expensive but weve fitted some in line aquabion water softeners which soften the water over a ten year life span. They are supposed to make the appliances last longer without any salt or maintenance. Ill let you know how they function but there is nothing to go wrong

Comment

After the plumber finished the hot water tank this week, he mentioned that the ensuite toilet was running constantly. Now I have to take that apart to replace the ballvalve. This place begins to remind me of this old song:

Comment

Very good. Old ones always the best

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Brexit
                  craig2222
                  I'm wondering how many of you voted for brexit and would you change your mind if you had the chance ? . I didn't vote and I still wouldn't be sure if I would choose leave or remain if we had another chance...
                  30-09-2018, 16:17 PM
                • Reply to Brexit
                  islandgirl
                  Very interesting. A bit over dramatic and over the top but there is a backlash. I suppose David Lammy's fuss about Comic Relief that cost it £8 million this year shows it is here too. It is so sad to see so much division. The "Elites" have a lot to answer for (cue link to Brexit!)
                  19-03-2019, 20:36 PM
                • Reply to Brexit
                  JK0
                  The subject of this talk is the United States. I think a lot of it applies to the UK also:

19-03-2019, 18:51 PM
                • Reply to Brexit
                  jpkeates
                  I will (personally) gain absolutely zero additional "freedom" from leaving the EU and neither will you.

Can you name anything that we will gain that improves our quality of life in any meaningful way?

Coronation Street down to one episode almost did it, though!...
                  19-03-2019, 11:00 AM
                • Reply to Brexit
                  islandgirl
                  You are of course entitled to your view JP which I respect but I think entirely the opposite is true. It is also a new one on me to equate food bank supplies with Brexit but I suppose project fear have tried everything else so far! What next I wonder? Coronation Street down to 1 episode a week horror...
                  19-03-2019, 10:33 AM
                • Reply to Brexit
                  jpkeates
                  This may be some of the most scary notions I have seen.

Medicines are not "planned for" in the event of no deal. The government has started to stockpile some of the most critical medicines to prevent a shortage immediately after a hard brexit. But that's of essential medication...
                  19-03-2019, 09:58 AM
                • Reply to Brexit
                  islandgirl
                  But in the real world there will be no serious shortages. Medicines have been planned for. Supermarkets are certainly sorted - profits are at stake. Good old capitalism will ensure there are very few issues. The answer to the question of "how we are supposed to fill the current gap between what...
                  19-03-2019, 09:19 AM
                • Reply to Brexit
                  buzzard1994
                  Project fear may become project Face Reality. We can not physically get the goods we need to import through Dover with the extra delays caused by customs checks.No-one has just proposed a workable solution to that problem and such solutions as there are ( waving lorries through, paying for extra ferry...
                  19-03-2019, 06:43 AM
                • Reply to Brexit
                  islandgirl
                  A price worth paying as far as I am concerned. Anyone for a chorus of "There'll be Project Fear over the whilte cliffs of Dover"? Though come to think of it anyone afraid of being without chestnuts has a very empty life!
                  18-03-2019, 23:21 PM
                • Reply to Brexit
                  buzzard1994
                  Harvest is something like September to November - maybe they'll all be through the queues by Christmas but priority is likely to still be given to medicines and fresh food. Perhaps our incompetent government will have got some extra ferry contracts then,perhaps not. Of course the pound would drop again...
                  18-03-2019, 19:48 PM
                Working...
                X