X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berlingogirl
    started a topic A UC thought.

A UC thought.

As a struggling LL, I am on Tax Credits, not a lot but every bit counts. Eventually I'll be on UC and as a self employed person will be subject to the Minimum Income Floor (MIF). If a tenant pays early (and some do) or late (and many do) it will affect my MIF and therefore my UC entitlement.

Would it be an unfair 'terms and conditions' to put in the TA that the T will be liable for any UC I lose due to their early or late payments?

• KeepTheFaith
    replied
    If you are found to not be gainfully SE then you can still carry on your SE and claim UC without coming under the MIF, so that's another way people are getting around it.
    ​​​​​​
    On the plus side of the MIF I was hoping it might shake the market removing some competition. I have to compete with a lot of casual underground workers already sometimes vastly undercutting me in my line of work. But looks like that situation is only going to get worse.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Originally posted by KeepTheFaith View Post
    I guess that's what they used to do before tax credits. The problem is that a lot of lower income SE are there for a reason eg restrictions due to caring responsibilities and long term health problems. These will end up having to quit SE as difficult to meet their MIF. In the absence of finding employment suitable for their circumstances will then just end up long term unemployed/claiming disability under UC and not doing anything.
    Yes, they will and then do their SE for cash and be loads better off! It's happening already, there's an 'undergound' of SE workers, or so I'm told.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Berlingogirl View Post
    Claymore,

It IS a nightmare. If any LLs are claiming tax credits join FB sites - UC and the SE etc and see the devastation UC has caused.
    I'm there just offered a survival package to somebody living fairly near by.

Leave a comment:

• Moderator2
    replied
    Originally posted by theartfullodger View Post
    Now why would my last post suddenly go "Unapproved"
    Automatic spam detection software, probably all those links triggered it. Please send me a PM in future.

Leave a comment:

• KeepTheFaith
    replied
    I guess that's what they used to do before tax credits. The problem is that a lot of lower income SE are there for a reason eg restrictions due to caring responsibilities and long term health problems. These will end up having to quit SE as difficult to meet their MIF. In the absence of finding employment suitable for their circumstances will then just end up long term unemployed/claiming disability under UC and not doing anything.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    KeepTheFaith,

It's all just bonkers for the SE. I can see us all slipping through the net, only using cash and going underground.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post

That's accruals basis accounting, which Berlingogirl say that the UC people won't accept, whereas HMRC prefer it, and insist on it for companies.
    When I pay my insurances i pay them all in the same month which will totally wipe out any income so I've no chance of meeting the MIF for that month, but I would if accounts were taken yearly by UC. At the moment there's no carry forward of any earnings over the MIF to the next month. I'll have to arrange a loan (from Mother) and pay it back month by month. How loopy is that?

Leave a comment:

• KeepTheFaith
    replied
    I am an SE T and been worrying about the MIF since hearing about it in 2013. But hope is that someone will judicial review it on discrimination grounds, (see fb UC and SE group for info) and that could lead to them changing it or abandoning it altogether, hopefully not before too long and before they start migrating people over to UC!

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Claymore,

It IS a nightmare. If any LLs are claiming tax credits join FB sites - UC and the SE etc and see the devastation UC has caused.

Leave a comment:

• Berlingogirl
    replied
    Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post

That's accruals basis accounting, which Berlingogirl say that the UC people won't accept, whereas HMRC prefer it, and insist on it for companies.
    That's a problem UC and HMRC don't accept the same accounting.

Leaseholder - you don't . don't , don't want to investigate UC and the SE (bet you do though!).

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    My post just went unapproved as well. Although that's probably because I had 4 links in there.

Maybe the spam filters have been tightened up?

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    Self employment with an irregular income is a recognised problem with UC.

(TBH although replacing 6 benefits most of UC seems set up as if it was for unemployed Jobseekers only).

You might be interested in these 3 (short) threads on Rightsnet, (a forum for benefits advisors):
    https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/12487/
    https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/11922/
    https://www.rightsnet.org.uk/forums/viewthread/12302/

That last one refers to this Works & Pensions Select Committee inquiry into the problem of SE and irregular income.
    https://www.parliament.uk/business/c...vidence-17-19/

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    Originally posted by Claymore View Post
    Sounds like a nightmare! I would guess you would just record the rent as if it had been received and continue in the normal process of chasing debts.

Leave a comment:

• Claymore
    replied
    Sounds like a nightmare! I would guess you would just record the rent as if it had been received and continue in the normal process of chasing debts.

I guess UC have a help desk, but I bet they won't know what to do either. Anyway, relax for the mo - its not UC yet and it might not happen if everyone prays hard.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Delinquent meanness
    JK0
    You guys know I have been renovating a flat since March. The first month, I kept hearing a 'peep' noise every few minutes, so I bought a new battery for the mains linked smoke alarm. However, I still heard the 'peep' and came to the conculsion that it is next door's smoke alarm. Surprising, since the...
    02-08-2018, 22:13 PM
  • Reply to Delinquent meanness
    zanorias
    Has he considered using a dehumidifier? I switched my tumble dryer for one a few years ago, much more energy efficient plus useful for general humidity control during winter. My clothes will dry within 5-6 hours. Can't stand that musty smell from clothes being damp too long...
    22-02-2019, 21:16 PM
  • Reply to Delinquent meanness
    JK0
    My friend who rented a flat from me recently tells me he will not use the tumble drier, as it is very expensive, and will not put clothes out on the line as someone will steal them.

'No-one will steal your sh*t!' I told him.

'One man's rubbish is another man's treasure' he...
    22-02-2019, 17:52 PM
  • Dog size chart for tenants idea
    Rewolf
    My statistics for the top 3 breeds, enquiring tenants have in West Yorkshire and can't rent anywhere - Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Rottweiler. German Shepherd.
    I personally don't accept pets but year after year I always get the same enquiries from different people; "he's only a small dog...
    04-09-2018, 08:15 AM
  • Reply to Dog size chart for tenants idea
    KeepTheFaith
    Of course it could just be I tend to attract those types of pets... Just like JK0 tends to attract those types of tenants. 😂...
    22-02-2019, 15:45 PM
  • Unconscious humour from posters
    jta
    It seems to me there is a lot of unconscious humour here, the latest one for me is...........

Of course I know what he means but his brain seems to be running faster than his typing

Can I suggest that we post them here when we spot them....
    01-08-2012, 17:16 PM
  • Reply to Unconscious humour from posters
    JK0
    Ain't that the truth. ...
    22-02-2019, 14:35 PM
    jpkeates
    Cats "soften" where they sleep with their claws.
    You can't train them not to, and declawing is inhumane.

You can't fully house train cats or dogs.
    You can be 99% confident, but once there's been an accident, that spot is then OK from then on.

I keep dogs...
    22-02-2019, 14:28 PM
  • AML nonsense
    JK0
    AML= Anti Money Laundering in case you were wondering...

From time to time, the companies I have unit trusts with ask for a photostat of my passport, and a utility bill. One particular firm in Ireland wrote last week regarding this, and I trotted off down to the solicitor to get those things...
    22-02-2019, 14:15 PM
    zanorias
    You'll likely know better than most that - just like humans - cats and dogs vary as individuals. Just as some people will be hard to educate in school or work with, some pets will learn/behave better than others and no one say 100% that a cat or dog will or won't cause damage. Hence there will always...
    22-02-2019, 13:23 PM
Working...
X