Sand in washing machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sand in washing machine

My tenant just rang to tell me he has a problem with his Miele washer dryer. He says after washing the clothes, he found 'sandy stuff' on them. For a minute I thought his water softener had suddenly disgorged its beads, but he tells me there is no problem with the other taps.

There wouldn't be any way a washing machine could shred its insides to produce that, is there? I wondered if there was something left in a pocket, so I have suggested he runs the machine without clothes to see if the problem is still there.

What is more likely is that the clothes (and their wearers) had been to the beach and come back full of sand which then disgorged into the washing machine. Socks are the usual culprits - the sand gets trapped inside.There is nothing in a washing machine which turns into sand during normal use.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Are you in a very hard water area? Take some of the stuff and add some vinegar -- does it fizz, and then dissolve with time.

If so, run machine with vinegar and limescale remover.

If it is really sand ask tenant to buy a new machine. Are you near the beach? Have they been on holiday?

Comment

Oh, well I'm in Reading, though my tenants are from Zimbabwe. I wonder if they brought some of it back with them?

I have yet to hear from my tenant how the 'water-only' wash went. I suspect he feels a little foolish for bothering me.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
          Oh, well I'm in Reading, though my tenants are from Zimbabwe. I wonder if they brought some of it back with them?
          Difficult to know whether you get your own joke or not here!

'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X