Uber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uber

I take it you all heard the news about Uber losing it's licence in London today?

Now Uber has 40,000 drivers in London. If even half of those cars are on finance of say £10,000, that's £200 million of loans going bad.

I suspect an 'accommodation' will be reached to allow Uber to continue.

If you have read many comments on Yahoo ( most drivers can barely speak English ), and as far as I know, you use your own clapped out car ( which is not good for the safety of passengers ), when Private hire , and London Taxis have to go through rigorous testing, the the safety concern is a big one.
    And the law breaking ( exactly what, evades me at the moment ), together with the many complaints of sexual harassment of women, then the end of Uber ( as an unsatisfactory business model ) is long overdue.

Comment

Well, they're going to appeal, then probably court if the decision's not overturned. That'll give it a good year or so.

Almost all of them will be on finance, but I would imagine 2nd hand value will cover a bit of it. Then there's also the possibility of the drivers going to work for different companies.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Ah, well funnily enough my gf is a recently 'qualified' Uber driver, (against my entreaties). She recently took a £10k loan to buy a Prius to do Ubering. The car has to be under 6 years old, and is actually inspected before you can use it.

She has paid thousands for this nonsense, and might just break even after a year of work. Unfortunately, you can't help some people.

Comment

Look at the reports.
          If you want anarchy, then let firms disobey the rules.
          If you want more rapes, then let firms disobey the rules.

THE facts.
          Transport for London says the company, whose app is used by 3.5 million passengers and 40,000 drivers in London, isn't "fit and proper" to hold a license to operate a private-hire vehicle service.
          The agency cited a failure to do proper background checks on drivers, report crimes and a program called “Greyball” used to avoid regulators.

In its decision, Transport for London singled out Uber's approach to reporting serious criminal offenses and how it conducts background checks on drivers. TfL also took issue with Uber's explanation of software that could be used to block regulators from gaining full access to the app and "prevent officials from undertaking regulatory or law enforcement duties."

Police in London accused Uber last month of not reporting a sexual assault by a driver on a passenger, allowing the driver to strike again. Metropolitan Police Inspector Neil Billany suggested in a letter that the company was putting concerns for its reputation over public safety.

In June, 20 staff were sacked after a law firm investigated specific complaints made to the company about sexual harassment, bullying, and retaliation for reporting problems.

In 2015 the New Delhi government banned app-based taxi companies after an Uber driver raped a passenger in his vehicle.

Comment

Oh, I agree with you Ram. I don't think Uber should be allowed. Just that I think TPTB will be leant on to allow it.

Comment

Uber will triumph ...hand over fist

Comment

Uber driver on LBC today reckons he took £1200 last week.

Comment

This is a regressive decision aimed at protecting the chums of the taxi unions. A bit like they did in Reading for those who follow news there.

It's too obvious that they try to find anything they can against Uber when other companies are not subjected to such scrutiny, and are certainly not perfect either...

Note that to get a private hire licence from TFL every driver has to be suggested to a full criminal check by TFL.

It's also rather laughable to think that a victim of a sexual assault will issue a 'customer complaint' to Uber/taxi company but not inform the police.

Comment

I'm with jj on this one. It is a first look into what might become the Corbyn soviet fascist nightmare. Listen up children.

All of the arguments are spurious - pick up a black cab, and it's all undocumented. No records of the request, no record of the pick-up, no record of the location, no record of the route, and no record of the earnings which should have been taxed. None of this applies to Uber.

Comment

I think my feelings about this will be determined by the outcome.

London Black Cabs are a peculiar institution and controlled by rules that are onerous, you have really got to want to be a black cab operator. And usually be self-employed.

Mini cab rules are different, but you can't hail a mini cab (legally), so there are records and there's some central control - however theoretical.

Uber is a hybrid of the two, who are essentially undercutting both by using zero hours contracts with no employment or job security. I don't like the business model and I don't like the results - minimal tax paid by Uber and the profits all end up in the US. But competition is good.

If the TfL decision is to simply exclude Uber, then I am not in favour of the decision.
                      If the decision is to force Uber to behave more responsibly and to level the playing field somewhat, I will probably be in favour.

And I visit London so rarely, its effect on me is zero.
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Uber is just running minicabs. It's just that they do it by making the most of the technology available.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
                          Uber is just running minicabs. It's just that they do it by making the most of the technology available.
                          Quite. And there is no requirement to "level the playing field" apart from basic legislation which already exists. That is a bit like saying that Pizza Express should have a level playing field with a Michelin star establishment in terms of glitz in order to be allowed to exist.

The playing field for black cabs is a self imposed set of rules that has allowed them to form an exclusive club with a high bar for entry -- nothing more. It used to be the case (and may still be) that to enter that club one had to have memorised all of the streets of London. That was not a legislative requirement in 1957 (it was a club rule), and is hardly relevant in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
                            Well, yes and no.
                            http://www.londonreconnections.com/2...-uber-not-app/

One of the main complaints about Uber is that they're simply buying the market by trading at a vast loss.
                            Because no one else can compete with the losses they are enduring, they will simply win by attrition and then be free (without further competition) to charge what they like.
                            The investors are (like someone like Amazon) prepared to subsidise the current situation in the '"hope" of vast future profits as a monopoly.
                            When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                            Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

A lot Uber drivers can't speak proper English, which tells you the probable ethnicity of the drivers, due to open borders, and they can charge you what they like.

Heathrow. Normal charge for Black cab to go to nearest hotel, is £ 10.
                              Uber, who dominate Heathrow ( I am told ) charge £ 50., and there are masses of them.

Uber has more rapes associated with them than Black cabs and mini cabs.
                              Because of the criminal element AND foreigners operating them. is why
                              Uber isn't "fit and proper" to hold a license to operate a private-hire vehicle service.

THAT is the problem.
                              Do your research.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X