Deposit Paid On Property Without Planning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deposit Paid On Property Without Planning

I am part of a group of 4 who agreed to pay a deposit on a house for the 17-18 academic year from a student landlord agency that has a portfolio of properties in the Manchester area.

We were then told a week later that there had been an administrative error and that this property had been given to another group. They provided us with a property that they said would be the same layout 2 doors down on the same street, so we agreed to take this.

6 weeks passed and we had heard nothing regarding signing a contract. I visited the office on May the 22nd and was informed that they could not give us this property as they never had planning permission to do the work that needed to be done on the property and that the council were not going to approve this.

We were offered an alternative property which was not the same and was half the size so we have asked for a refund of our deposits.

Do we have any legal standing to sue them for taking our deposits on a property that they did not have planning permission for? And the fact they were then not able to provide a property of the equal size?

You have standing, but haven't suffered any loss to be compensated for.

Any action would be pointless.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post

Any action would be pointless.
      I disagree with this. A holding deposit is like an engagement ring. It’s a formal show of intent. Payment of the holding deposit enters you into what is essentially an (implied or express) contractual agreement. When the agents did not give you the property they broke the agreement. You should expect to receive the full holding deposit back if the prospective landlord or letting agent decides not to go ahead with the tenancy. If you can’t come to an amicable agreement with the estate agent, a court can help you settle the dispute. You could therefore go to court and a blanket “no refunds” clause (if there is one), for example, is unlikely to be considered fair by the courts.
      My opinion is my own and is for informational purposes only and does not constitute advice. It is recommended that specific professional advice is sought before acting on any of the information given.

Comment

The question was not should they get their deposit back - obviously, yes.
        If the deposits aren't returned I would definitely sue for their return.

The question was whether they could sue the agent for taking a deposit on a property that couldn't be let.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Find out what professional association they belong to, look up it's code of conduct. Try reminding them of that first but if they are reluctant to return your deposit mention money claim online and that they will need to pay your court costs. As students you may get help with the fees - advice here https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Write or email requesting a refund of your deposit within 7 days - if they have agreed to return it write or email to confirm that.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Not every tenant has signed is the contract legally binding?
            REGS
            Hello,

I come for help with two problems. Six other friends and I all found and decided on a student property. Six of us signed a contract and paid our deposits. We went into the estate agents and the lady said something about not having a complete contract yet (1 person missing). When...
            22-05-2017, 21:04 PM
          • Reply to Not every tenant has signed is the contract legally binding?
            buzzard1994
            3 months on this probably is of no interest - but since we never found out exactly what they had paid and what it was said to be for giving advice was difficult. This agent obviously want going to give them anything back without a fight because if they had been a decent agent they would have made the...
            03-08-2017, 06:06 AM
          • Reply to Not every tenant has signed is the contract legally binding?
            HantsAgent
            That term refers to an admin fee, not a holding deposit. They could be one and the same, but it's not uncommon for agents to take a payment of X to act as a holding deposit and then for that holding deposit to act as credit towards the balance of other costs (admin fee, rent and deposit).
            02-08-2017, 16:28 PM
          • Deposit claim
            agriengineer
            I'm looking for some advice regarding our student let.

We were coming to the end of the tenancy and planned on moving out 10 days before the tenancy was due to end.

The landlord came round to check the house and was happy with the condition of the house, just the odd minor...
            03-07-2017, 19:32 PM
          • Reply to Deposit claim
            jpkeates
            The practical outcome of tenancy deposit arbitration processes is that the arbiters are "above" the law - even if it's not theoretically (or legally) 100% accurate.

When the parties selecting arbitration agree that the outcome of the process will be final and not appealed further...
            17-07-2017, 09:44 AM
          • Can LL deduct from deposit for this?
            spleenharvester4245
            Hi all.

I've been living on an AST in an apartment setup for the past year, which is coming to an end shortly. The flat is basically a temporary construction within a house and hence furnished with fairly new (1-2 years~?), but incredibly cheap materials.

One particular issue...
            16-07-2017, 21:48 PM
          • Reply to Can LL deduct from deposit for this?
            buzzard1994
            That sort of chair often causes damage to floors. you've been lucky before and when the damage first started you should either have stopped using the chair or bought a mat. So I would hold you liable for that. Dents under furniture will often come out again if you move the furniture, if they dont you...
            17-07-2017, 04:39 AM
            AndrewDod
            Agree with mtg -- but having said that -- was the rolling chair provided by L? If not then it may be your problem. These rolling chairs can cause significant damage even to the best floor or carpet -- which is why they make special mats to protect the floor.

If you bought the chair and...
            16-07-2017, 23:07 PM
            mind the gap
            How do you know the ceiling mark was present at check in if you did not notice it? Either way, if it is a water stain it is unlikely to be your fault.

The flooring - I agree, with you, it would seem to be unfit for purpose if ordinary furniture dents it.

Simply dispute any...
            16-07-2017, 22:56 PM
          • Reply to Deposit claim
            buzzard1994
            With the carpets it will depend on how badly the inventory says the carpet was marked when you moved in and how many new marks have been added. Also where they are - the landlord could put a rug over them. So if not much worse than when you moved in - and you have the evidence to prove it - dispute...
            15-07-2017, 17:02 PM
          Working...
          X