Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots on
    replied
    Thanks mindthe gap that's great advice. It's off to Homebase and the colour swatches for me now!

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Unless your hall has a lot more natural light than the bedrooms (unlikely), I would do it the other way round.

Leave a comment:

• Lots on
    replied
    Thanks Mindthegap. I think I'll do the hall a couple of tones darker than the bedrooms.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Sounds like a safer bet, yes. If you are going to vary the tone in a different room though, use at least two tones darker or lighter. One tone is not enough.

Leave a comment:

• Lots on
    replied
    I see what you mean Mind the gap. I might play it safe and just do all the bedroom walls one colour, maybe slightly different tones in the hall and use a contrasting colour in the bathroom .

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Lots on,

If you do it yourself you will only achieve a professional result with a painted feature wall if you use low-tack masking tape on the internal corners. It is extremely hard to cut in vertically freehand, even if you are good at doing it horizontally.

Leave a comment:

• Lots on
    replied
    Thanks for all those who posted (serious) suggestions. I suspect decor and colour schemes must make a difference, and was wondering if should be a bit more adventurous with colour this time, so it's interesting to hear about the featire wall making a difference.
    My budget does not stretch to hiring an interior decorator, and as I've had such bad luck with tradesmen I am also thinking of doing the painting myself.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    I was shocked too.

Must be something to do with the cellular telephones these young people use.

Leave a comment:

• doobrey
    replied
    Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    Our letting agent says that the feature wall is something that they can talk about when showing people round
    Surely the weather should suffice?

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Nothing really to do with students, but I own two virtually identical properties (3 doors from each other in the same terrace).
    One we decorated quite nicely, and included (wife's idea) a feature wall in the living room, the other, for one reason or another we decorated with no feature wall.

The one with the feature wall has rented consistently quicker and for a few quid more per month than the other.

Our letting agent says that the feature wall is something that they can talk about when showing people round, like a nice fire or bigger than normal room, and their tiny bit of extra enthusiasm makes a difference.
    Next time we redecorate I'll let you know if my experiment confirms this...

Leave a comment:

• andybenw
    replied
    And maybe a bold wallpapered 'feature wall' in each room.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Ha! Yes. And a lot of white, beige and brown and you wake up thinking you're in a branch of John Lewis.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Originally posted by bureaucrazy View Post
    Take a look at 'boutique' hotels and copy them.
    Lots of black and white pictures of pebbles, then...

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Originally posted by bureaucrazy View Post
    So, do not use matt paint. Washable paint is a must.
    You clearly know nothing about paint. It is perfectly possible to have a washable paint with a matt finish (try Dulux Trade Durable Matt, or Little Greene's Intellimatt). Shiny/silky paint finishes look naff and institutional and contrary to your inference, are not always washable.

In any case, with student tenancies, you should be aiming to refresh the emulsion paint between each tenancy, i.e. annually, in most cases. So the washability or otherwise of painted walls is not really that much of an issue.

Hire an interior designer and they will coordinate your colour scheme with the furnishings and accessories. It makes a huge difference for a little extra money. Contemporary students will only except 'boutique' interior design. Take a look at 'boutique' hotels and copy them.
    I think you mean 'accept' not 'except'. Are you a letting agent? I've noticed that their spelling is often disappointing.

Leave a comment:

• bureaucrazy
    replied
    Students: Your walls will be bombarded with vomit, beer, spaghetti hoops, etc.

So, do not use matt paint. Washable paint is a must.

Hire an interior designer and they will coordinate your colour scheme with the furnishings and accessories. It makes a huge difference for a little extra money. Contemporary students will only except 'boutique' interior design. Take a look at 'boutique' hotels and copy them.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X