Please recommend good colour schemes and paint brands for student flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing really to do with students, but I own two virtually identical properties (3 doors from each other in the same terrace).
    One we decorated quite nicely, and included (wife's idea) a feature wall in the living room, the other, for one reason or another we decorated with no feature wall.

The one with the feature wall has rented consistently quicker and for a few quid more per month than the other.

Our letting agent says that the feature wall is something that they can talk about when showing people round, like a nice fire or bigger than normal room, and their tiny bit of extra enthusiasm makes a difference.
    Next time we redecorate I'll let you know if my experiment confirms this...
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      Our letting agent says that the feature wall is something that they can talk about when showing people round
      Surely the weather should suffice?
      There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

I was shocked too.

Must be something to do with the cellular telephones these young people use.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for all those who posted (serious) suggestions. I suspect decor and colour schemes must make a difference, and was wondering if should be a bit more adventurous with colour this time, so it's interesting to hear about the featire wall making a difference.
          My budget does not stretch to hiring an interior decorator, and as I've had such bad luck with tradesmen I am also thinking of doing the painting myself.

Comment

Lots on,

If you do it yourself you will only achieve a professional result with a painted feature wall if you use low-tack masking tape on the internal corners. It is extremely hard to cut in vertically freehand, even if you are good at doing it horizontally.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I see what you mean Mind the gap. I might play it safe and just do all the bedroom walls one colour, maybe slightly different tones in the hall and use a contrasting colour in the bathroom .

Comment

Sounds like a safer bet, yes. If you are going to vary the tone in a different room though, use at least two tones darker or lighter. One tone is not enough.
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Thanks Mindthegap. I think I'll do the hall a couple of tones darker than the bedrooms.

Comment

Unless your hall has a lot more natural light than the bedrooms (unlikely), I would do it the other way round.

Comment

Thanks mindthe gap that's great advice. It's off to Homebase and the colour swatches for me now!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X