Landlord a pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I could do but I would like my deposit back. How can I go about annoying my landlord without losing my deposit?

Comment

Your landlord can only make deductions from your deposit for actual costs, not for things like noise nuisance or leaving the toilet seat up. If he tries to do this you just sue him for the money using MCOL.

By the way, it might be worthwhile you doing a bit of digging to see if you can find anything on your landlord that you can use as leverage. Is he paying tax on the income? Does he still claim the single person discount for Council Tax? Does he have a gas safety certificate and did he give you a copy?

Comment

Originally posted by DPT57 View Post
        Your landlord can only make deductions from your deposit for actual costs, not for things like noise nuisance or leaving the toilet seat up. If he tries to do this you just sue him for the money using MCOL.

By the way, it might be worthwhile you doing a bit of digging to see if you can find anything on your landlord that you can use as leverage. Is he paying tax on the income? Does he still claim the single person discount for Council Tax? Does he have a gas safety certificate and did he give you a copy?
        I wouldn’t know if he is paying tax on his rental income.
        I researched gas safety and an EPC certificate but apparently he doesn’t have to give us one as we are in a HMO, with multiple residents in living in respective rooms

Comment

In any rented property with a gas supply, including HMOs, tenants must be provided with a copy of GSC at the start of the tenancy and when the gas safety checks are done during the tenancy. This includes landlord's own home with excluded occupiers.

Common practice in HMOs is to display the certificate in a communal area which probably(?) removes the need to provide individually to each tenant. But one way or another they should have it.

That said, it is unusual for a landlord to be resident in an HMO. For technical reasons it is problematic and from discussion of the subject on this forum I think the two things are generally considered mutually exclusive or close to.
          There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X