Landlord a pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Landlord a pain

I have a live in landlord, who is a nice bloke, but a pain in the ass. He complains whenever I come in late, because my door slams. I have told him the door is damaged and for me to shut it I have to slam it. He said he would look into it last November, but is yet to do any repairs. He doesn’t want to spend a dime on the property and acts like a general c*nt, never following through. Mould is riddling the bathroom. What can I do?
    Cheers

Move?

Or fix the door and clean the mould yourself?

Comment

Can’t move as I’m in a fixed term contract. I do use mould remover most weeks but he doesn’t have proper ventilation installed and the bathroom is like a steam room

Comment

What kind of idiot resident landlord gives a lodger a fixed term contract?

As you are not a tenant but an excluded occupier your landlord does not have to comply with the repair responsibilities set out in the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 because the legislation only applies to tenancies, not licences. Your landlord does have to comply with gas safety legislation and electrical safety legislation but neither helps you with the door or mould.

Keep slamming the door and ventilating the bathroom as well as you can when you use it until your fixed term ends. What kind of ventilation is available in the bathroom?

Comment

Hi, I keep seeing that my landlord is stupid for giving a lodger a long fixed term contract. Why is this so bad?

The only ventilation is the window which we basically leave open 24/7 however the window rattles the door constantly making quite a noise.

Comment

When does your fixed term end?

In your previous thread you said 'a few months', is that linked to the student year and that's why it's a fixed term?

You also said there that you are trying to move out early, what's the reason for that?
            (and is that what this post is about, looking for an excuse to leave early?)

You can move out any time you like but (you can never ... - sorry went Hotel California there) but you will still be liable to pay rent for the whole of the fixed term that you agreed to.
            If it's only a few months then is that so bad if you really want out?

Comment

Move out as soon as soon as you reasonably can without causing a diplomatic or legal incident. In law, an excluded occupier arrangement doesn't come close to a tenancy.
              There is a fine line between irony and stupidity. If I say something absurd please assume that I am being facetious.

Comment

Originally posted by Ensquik View Post
                Hi, I keep seeing that my landlord is stupid for giving a lodger a long fixed term contract. Why is this so bad?
                Lodgers live in the landlord's home. If i wound up with a lodger I couldn't stand living with I wouldn't want to be stuck with him/her for a year before I can ask them to leave. I'd want them gone with a month's notice tops.

The only ventilation is the window which we basically leave open 24/7 however the window rattles the door constantly making quite a noise.
                My bathroom only has a window for ventilation and I don't need to leave it open anywhere near 24/7 to prevent mould. I hazard that my property is in a part of the UK much colder than where you live too so it seems odd that the bathroom is like a steam room and very mouldy if the window is always left open.

Comment

Fixing the rattle with some kind of wedge should be possible.

When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
                    When does your fixed term end?
                    It ends in September, however I wont be here and I’d save a few thousand pounds, a lot of money for me

Comment

DoricPixie,

I honestly don’t know. Maybe it is because the tiles are always bone cold to touch/ they used the wrong material, but whenever the shower runs, all the tiles become soaking wet and drip with water/condensation. If we close the window the bathroom smells terrible.

Comment

It ends in September, however I wont be here and I’d save a few thousand pounds, a lot of money for me
                        So are you saying that you signed a contract for longer than you needed; and are now trying to find a reason (excuse) to not pay what you had agreed to pay?

While I'm sympathetic, nobody likes to pay for something they are not going to be using, you did agree to it and it's a bit late to back out now.
                        (I've got a broadband contract I no longer need, but it still needs to be paid for the period I agreed to).

Comment

Clean the mould and slam the door as much as you need to, you have a right to coke and to as you please it’s not your fault he refuses to fix your door.

if he doesn’t feel it’s working out he may just let you leave early like you want to

Comment

nukecad,

Circumstances change, and lease length isn’t usually less than 12 months. I’d have thought the Landlord would at least allow me to find a replacement. He isn’t open to any sort of negotiation at all. Fair enough

Comment

12 months is not normal for a live-in landlord.
                              It's also pretty dumb, as you now have an incentive to make his life as miserable as possible until he kicks you out!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                              X