Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cardiff or other Uni Citi Residentials

Hi

Do we have any landlords with properties in Cardiff or Uni Cities who can share advice please?

Currently my son is at Cardiff Uni - so is his girlfriend. Both currently share at separate properties with others (5 in each house I think). As of July, they want to move in together. However there doesn't seem to be that many one bed flats.

Two bedroom flats/houses. If they are able to team up with another couple, do Landlords let to two student couples?

Assuming they can't find what they want, do students couples rent separate rooms in HMO's? Perhaps, they could share a double bedroom and the second bedroom could be a place of study.

Sorry to sound so vague, I don't understand HMO rules/regs. Also, just wondering if they do take up 2 separate rooms in an HMO, can this cause issues with other students (so best avoided?).

Many thanks
    Claymore

I am looking at studio flats in Sheffield for my son - there are lots which allow 2 people to live there either with no extra charge or an extra amount per week
    Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

As a parent of 3 post-uni kids and an ex student LL, I would suggest they look for 2 rooms in the same student house. Most have double beds in them but will only rent to one person because of the numbers game, but as you say they can use the other room for study etc.

Most LLs will not rent a non-student house to students because of the lack of income and 2 couples in a 2 bed is still an HMO and also more wear & tear for a LL so is uncommon.

Plus.....couples split up and this can be very difficult is they are sharing a room. Having the extra room may even save the relationship!

I would definitely go for the first option.

Comment

Thank you, appreciated. My gut feeling is that they should have two separate rooms in a house share.

Comment

I agree with the above as most landlords with two bed flats will not have HMO registration and this will be an extra expense and hassle that they probably won't want.

Comment

It's more likely than not that will split up during the year so perhaps keep this in mind when deciding. 2 rooms in a shared house would be better than a double room/flat of their own if neither can afford the full rent on their own.

Comment

Oopsey, the two love birds have signed up for a flat!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord a pain
                by Ensquik
                I have a live in landlord, who is a nice bloke, but a pain in the ass. He complains whenever I come in late, because my door slams. I have told him the door is damaged and for me to shut it I have to slam it. He said he would look into it last November, but is yet to do any repairs. He doesn’t want...
                19-04-2022, 21:46 PM
              • Reply to Landlord a pain
                by doobrey
                In any rented property with a gas supply, including HMOs, tenants must be provided with a copy of GSC at the start of the tenancy and when the gas safety checks are done during the tenancy. This includes landlord's own home with excluded occupiers.

Common practice in HMOs is to display...
                19-05-2022, 17:56 PM
                by Ensquik
                I wouldn’t know if he is paying tax on his rental income.
                I researched gas safety and an EPC certificate but apparently he doesn’t have to give us one as we are in a HMO, with multiple residents in living in respective rooms...
                19-05-2022, 17:07 PM
                by DPT57
                Your landlord can only make deductions from your deposit for actual costs, not for things like noise nuisance or leaving the toilet seat up. If he tries to do this you just sue him for the money using MCOL.

By the way, it might be worthwhile you doing a bit of digging to see if you can...
                16-05-2022, 11:40 AM
                by Ensquik
                I could do but I would like my deposit back. How can I go about annoying my landlord without losing my deposit?
                15-05-2022, 15:36 PM
                by Ted.E.Bear
                12 months is not normal for a live-in landlord.
                It's also pretty dumb, as you now have an incentive to make his life as miserable as possible until he kicks you out!
                09-05-2022, 10:06 AM
                by Ensquik
                nukecad,

Circumstances change, and lease length isn’t usually less than 12 months. I’d have thought the Landlord would at least allow me to find a replacement. He isn’t open to any sort of negotiation at all. Fair enough
                08-05-2022, 01:19 AM
              • Reply to Agent trying to fill empty room can they do that
                by Mike777
                Thanks you all for your replies they are very much appreciated and thank you for the time taken.
                l think we all need to review things based on the information given and discuss things with the agent and landlord to see the best way forward for all concerned. We let you know who it goes ..regards...
                29-04-2022, 15:15 PM
              • Agent trying to fill empty room can they do that
                by Mike777
                Hi
                My daughter and four of her unversity friends (all females) rented a private property through an agent in their second year of unversity. (4 parents are guarantors)
                They all signed for year 3 but unfortunately now one of her friends has dropped out.
                They have been trying to advertise...
                25-04-2022, 16:10 PM
              • Reply to Is the Student Market Changing?
                by AlexR
                My question was really aimed at whether universities and students have returned to the previous mode of operations or whether the market has changed in general and Lots On answered to confirm the situation I find now.

I have a 3 bedroom terraced house about a mile from the centre of Birmingham...
                29-04-2022, 12:55 PM
              Working...
              X