Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rent outside of contract

Hi
    I'm a student and have just been contacted by the estate agents for my property to pay two months missed summer rent (July and August 2021) and am a bit confused since the contract on my house ended in may 31st 2021 , i had gotten my things out of the house and left the key behind. A new contract was drawn up where under the "initial period" it states we are students starting on the 1st September. the fixed term also runs from 1st September to 31st may 2022. The contract also sets out each monthly payment of rent running from September to May and makes no mention of the summer months in which no contract had been signed. Have i got to pay this outstanding rent for those two months?

Was anyone else living in the property with you?

Are you sure it was a fixed period rather than an "initial period" and what did the tenancy agreement say would happen when it ended?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

The initial contract stated the fixed period ran until may 31st 2021, a couple of others stayed after this date as I'm aware you can do this with still paying the monthly rent, but i chose not to. With the new contract the fixed period began on 1st September 2021 and made no mention of rent for those months in between when the last contract ended.

Comment

Originally posted by lomo97 View Post
        The initial contract stated the fixed period ran until may 31st 2021, a couple of others stayed after this date as I'm aware you can do this with still paying the monthly rent, but i chose not to. With the new contract the fixed period began on 1st September 2021 and made no mention of rent for those months in between when the last contract ended.
        If it was a joint tenancy, no you can't. So the key issues are:
        a) Was this a joint tenancy - all of you signed the same tenancy contract and rented the whole place , not just a room. ?
        b) Did you personally notify them formally that you were wanting to end the tenancy? Otherwise it may not have ended depending on what happened.
        c) Did you personally stay even one day beyond the initial fixed term even if you did (b)?

Comment

a) After may 31st ended the original agreement, one of our tenants had completely vacated as the contract had ended. Another had intended to stay until september. There had been no new agreement signed yet
          b) I hadnt notified the agents that i was vacating since the contract had ended and since i hadnt signed a new agreement i wouldnt have had access to the property anyways, so i got my stuff out and left my keys behind.
          c) i didnt stay past may 31st when the contract ended.
          The thing that confuses me is one contract had ended and i hadnt signed another one until late august which made no mention of any rent due for july and august, it set out each rent payment beginning from september. Thing is this is all complicated and i dont quite get all the finer details, it didnt make sense that i was paying rent on a property that technically due to the lack of signed agreement for those months i couldnt live in or have access to

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

If it was a joint tenancy, no you can't. So the key issues are:
            a) Was this a joint tenancy - all of you signed the same tenancy contract and rented the whole place , not just a room. ?
            b) Did you personally notify them formally that you were wanting to end the tenancy? Otherwise it may not have ended depending on what happened.
            c) Did you personally stay even one day beyond the initial fixed term even if you did (b)?
            Also i noticed in our first contract it sets out the intial period as a three month period where reduced rent is paid
            in the new contract for 2021-2022 the date under initial period is the same date as the beginning of the fixed term Quote:
            "Intial Period: You are students whose academic year begins on September 1st 2021" and makes no mention of anything before this

Comment

You need to answer whether this was a joint tenancy or not. But either way it would have become a periodic tenancy so the tenancy never ended - because you never ended it (if not a joint tenancy) or your colleague stayed on (if it was joint tenancy).

There is no need for a new tenancy agreement to be signed.

I can understand why you got yourself into this position. Unfortunately politicians are intent on creating a dense meshwork of ill considered laws that mess people up - but it is not the job of the landlord or agent to explain the law.

What is not clear however is why they ended it at 2 months if you did not give notice? - In fact they had no right at all to initiate a new contract with anyone else until your tenancy had ended (which has NOTHING to do with the dates on the contract).

Comment

this was a joint tenancy i believe, me and 5 others were listed on the original agreement. Why does it become a periodic tenancy and not just end? as i had gotten my stuff out and left the keys as well?

Comment

Originally posted by lomo97
                  So because my colleagues stayed on even though i left the terms still stand?
                  Yes.

After it becomes periodic (which it will as a matter of law unless EVERYONE leaves) you can give 1 month of notice - but otherwise it continues forever. You remain jointly liable for the WHOLE of the rent - so you could be sued not just for your rent but all the rest of the rents as well.

Comment

Thankyou so much that has cleared it up completely. Thankyou for your help

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Air b@b
                      by lewis593
                      Can I let my air b and b to local students for 11 months?
                      17-11-2021, 20:45 PM
                    • Reply to Air b@b
                      by loanarranger
                      If the property is a BtL I think you might find the lender may raise a number of questions resulting in a No, better check before you take this step
                      19-11-2021, 22:50 PM
                    • Reply to Air b@b
                      by lewis593
                      Ok thanks for the info....
                      18-11-2021, 10:10 AM
                    • Reply to Air b@b
                      by jpkeates
                      It would be a tenancy as well as breaching AirBnB's terms and conditions.
                      If there are more than 2 students it would probably be an HMO.

So, in effect, yes, but it completely changes the nature of your business.
                      18-11-2021, 09:53 AM
                    • Reply to Anyone else thinking of getting out of student lets?
                      by K-21
                      Why on earth are you buying (sorry, ordering) a kitchen from Ikea? Open a Howdens trade account and take it away (assembled) the same day. Cancel Ikea if you can. You are paying for the boy to have an ensuite so clearly he is in a reasonably posh property? You should emulate this. If you can fit an...
                      11-11-2021, 20:33 PM
                    • Anyone else thinking of getting out of student lets?
                      by Lots on
                      I have a 3 bed flat which I have rented out to students for the last 8 years. I am now refurbishing it as it just didn’t let for this academic year, partly due to lessons being mostly online, partly due to the fact that it is really tired, which I am addressing with a new kitchen, new flooring throughout...
                      28-10-2021, 15:00 PM
                      by Lots on
                      I agree Jer it’s the same in my town. I can somewhat see the councils point of view though as over the years student lets have changed the character of the place ( generally not for the better with unkempt gardens, overflowing bins, noise etc) and they want students to be contained din purpose built...
                      30-10-2021, 17:37 PM
                      by Jer
                      We used to have 11 student let’s with a further two we manage. Just sold four. Council don’t want private landlords have student let’s as they want them in large buildings. We have at least four private large buildings and another housing around 375 or maybe more just being built. They are expensive...
                      30-10-2021, 16:57 PM
                      by Lots on
                      Thanks for taking the time to give that thoughtful reply Alex. I am feeling that I don’t have control over everything at the moment. IKEA just sent me a text to inform me the kitchen delivery is delayed by 4 weeks. So I’ll be lucky if the flat will be ready before Christmas.
                      The agent has...
                      30-10-2021, 13:58 PM
                      by AlexR
                      I have a student house which is in an area which has been historically popular with students. I have owned the house for 25 years and it has also been used for groups of 'professionals' in the past. I have faced and continue to face the same issues as you but my agent is on campus and has found me tenants...
                      29-10-2021, 09:49 AM
                    Working...
                    X