Reclaiming rent from landlords of students?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reclaiming rent from landlords of students?

Call this a follow-up thread to my old one about the government/council trying to reclaim overpayment (or fraud, etc) of benefits... am I in the clear if it's students? I am looking at a student property at the moment.

Thanks all

Your previous thread was about the concern that directly paid Universal Credit could be claimed back by the DWP if the tenant wasn't entitled to the benefit.
    How does that situation relate to students, who are normally not funded by the DWP and do not have rent paid directly to the landlord?
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Surely the only major difference here though is that the benefits tenant is being given money by the state and the student tenant is being lent money by the state?

Although sometimes they can be given it apparently, depending.

So I wasn't sure how similar situations would be handled. I guess lending tends to be a lot more forgiving than giving, for obvious reasons.

Comment

I suspect you're making a political point, and it's well made!

Comment

lol was I?

it can't be that well made because I didn't even know I was making it

Comment

On this subject though... I guess the money is never paid directly so it's probably OK.

Comment

I was thinking more about this today. I think... I have to consider this kind of... contract by contract, so to speak.

So UC is one "contract", housing benefit is another, etc. If I'm unsure then I need to go back to the terms of that specific benefit or whatever it is and understand how it works.

Also, sorry to have posted lots on this subject now. I guess it's just quite a big thing to wrap your head around when you're new to all this.

With time though I think I'll know what I'm doing regarding this and other stuff too ^^

Comment

If you are new to this, steer well clear of DSS lettings These may suit a certain "type" of Landlord who I will not try to define!
                I have 40+ years of student letting experience and there are many advantages with (imho) not many disadvantages.
                The main one of course being a higher return.

Comment

Student letting does seem good yeah

I hear though that they can be on all kinds on benefits potentially. I'd assume it's rare though and most are on loans (and maybe grants? I bet that's rare too though).

I think... if the situation does arise where a student is on a benefit, I should research it at that point but it's not super likely to impact me so probably not worth it too much ahead of time.

That's the conclusion I'm coming to anyway! Do you think that's good?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Rent outside of contract
                    by lomo97
                    Hi
                    I'm a student and have just been contacted by the estate agents for my property to pay two months missed summer rent (July and August 2021) and am a bit confused since the contract on my house ended in may 31st 2021 , i had gotten my things out of the house and left the key behind. A new contract...
                    15-10-2021, 15:02 PM
                  • Reply to Rent outside of contract
                    by lomo97
                    a) After may 31st ended the original agreement, one of our tenants had completely vacated as the contract had ended. Another had intended to stay until september. There had been no new agreement signed yet
                    b) I hadnt notified the agents that i was vacating since the contract had ended and since...
                    15-10-2021, 19:43 PM
                    by AndrewDod
                    If it was a joint tenancy, no you can't. So the key issues are:
                    a) Was this a joint tenancy - all of you signed the same tenancy contract and rented the whole place , not just a room. ?
                    b) Did you personally notify them formally that you were wanting to end the tenancy? Otherwise it may...
                    15-10-2021, 18:18 PM
                    by lomo97
                    The initial contract stated the fixed period ran until may 31st 2021, a couple of others stayed after this date as I'm aware you can do this with still paying the monthly rent, but i chose not to. With the new contract the fixed period began on 1st September 2021 and made no mention of rent for those...
                    15-10-2021, 16:25 PM
                    by jpkeates
                    Was anyone else living in the property with you?

Are you sure it was a fixed period rather than an "initial period" and what did the tenancy agreement say would happen when it ended?
                    15-10-2021, 15:39 PM
                  • Questions about return of deposit via mydeposits
                    by oscarvl
                    Hi,

We finished our student tenancy on 30/06/2020. I sent the mydeposits request for deposit refund template on 03/07/2020 for the return of £2800 and have heard nothing about the deposit from the landlord since.

Question 1:

Tomorrow it will have been 10 calendar...
                    12-07-2020, 12:13 PM
                  • Reply to Questions about return of deposit via mydeposits
                    by Felix Ungar
                    I'm horrified so many students are victims of this crime.

Isn't it time student landlords complied with the same rules ad all other landlords?
                    25-09-2021, 16:33 PM
                  • Reply to Reclaiming rent from landlords of students?
                    by Hoppimike
                    Student letting does seem good yeah

I hear though that they can be on all kinds on benefits potentially. I'd assume it's rare though and most are on loans (and maybe grants? I bet that's rare too though).

I think... if the situation does arise where a student is on a benefit,...
                    09-09-2021, 13:34 PM
                  • Reclaiming rent from landlords of students?
                    by Hoppimike
                    Call this a follow-up thread to my old one about the government/council trying to reclaim overpayment (or fraud, etc) of benefits... am I in the clear if it's students? I am looking at a student property at the moment.

Thanks all
                    30-08-2021, 23:52 PM
                  • Reply to Reclaiming rent from landlords of students?
                    by K-21
                    If you are new to this, steer well clear of DSS lettings These may suit a certain "type" of Landlord who I will not try to define!
                    I have 40+ years of student letting experience and there are many advantages with (imho) not many disadvantages.
                    The main one of course being a higher...
                    08-09-2021, 20:24 PM
                  Working...
                  X