Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to find housemates in London

Hi everyone,

I'm studying at Imperial this year and looking for accommodation, was wondering what the best websites are for finding like-minded housemates? I've had issues with Spare Room in the past, was wondering if anyone has used alternatives and what the pros and cons were? Would greatly appreciate any tips, thanks!

You will find in HMOs that tenants pay varying rents among the household as tenants will have been there varying amounts of time. In the example you give the tenant in the master bedroom may have been there a number of years. I revise rents as tenants move out so the new tenant will be paying a bit more. It isn't that the new tenant is overpaying, they will have a rent more in line with the current market. This is how all HMOs I have lived in have worked. I charge all inclusive rents, utility bills go up over time, so I have to factor that in also.
    London is expensive.
    The app you mention likely won't solve the problems you are having. When looking for a new place tenants aren't going to admit to drugs use if they take drugs or say they like to play loud music in their room if this is something they tend to do. The dynamic in HMOs changes over time as new people move in and out. It also helps if landlords require references, if they don't they may get problem tenants. I was never asked for a reference when renting rooms in HMOs and at times there were problem tenants.
    Perhaps look for a HMO with a live in landlord. Also maybe try finding a place where you share with one or two others only, I appreciate that will cost more.
    I know a HMO landlord whose tenancies are rolling monthly from the start. If the new tenant is unhappy they can move on by giving a months notice at any time. Agreements are usually for 6 months, but may have a break clause. Look for flexibility if you have concerns about going into a HMO. I lived with professionals while a student. Student HMOs I visited were always noisy and untidy.
    Also if your budget allows perhaps look into the private student halls that have a management team on site.

Comment

Thanks, I didn't realise that about rents being revised up as new tenants move in. I've been looking at post-graduate student accommodation as a last resort due to the expense but might have to go with that. Will look into more flexible landlord agreements as well. Thanks for the response and sorry for the earlier mix up!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X