Where to purchase study desk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to purchase study desk

I need to provide a new study desk in my student flat. Have looked at IKEA but would prefer ready assembled. Viking office supplies looks expensive- around £200 inc VAT! Any suggestions for decent quality at reasonable price- would prefer not to go above £100. Thank you.

Try FB marketplace or gumtree.

If you want to buy new, IKEA table top and legs sold separately, total £18.

You could spend the other £78 on some metal drawers and a comfy chair.

But to be honest, students these days rarely study at a desk - they sit on their beds with a laptop. So ask them first if they really want a desk.
    ​​​​
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

A few breezeblocks and some offcut kitchen worktop will do for many.

Also try second hand / charity shops.

British Heart Foundation 'Home Stores' are widespread and have everything you'd want to furnish a flat at much cheaper than new.
      Find your local one here:
      https://www.bhf.org.uk/shop/furnitur...ectrical-shops

Comment

If the desk has to go upstairs you might find it difficult with a ready assembled option. I supplied my students with ikea kitchen tables some years ago as they needed big desks. Cost £20 each and just had to attach legs

Comment

Thanks everyone. In the end I found something decent on gumtree which disassembles ( it’s being delivered by vendor tomorrow so fingers crossed the photo didn’t conceal any issues). The student did require a desk, that was a condition to them taking on the tenancy. I’m paying £40 plus £10 for delivery. It looks like a standard office desk and has the right measurements.

Comment

With business closing down, and more people working from home, I suspect that there is soon going to be a glut of second hand office furniture on the market.

Comment

As a student myself, I do not agree with the comment that says students rarely use their desks. For me, unless the house is within a 5 minute walk of the University I will use my desk for hours every day. It is a make or break thing in house viewings for me.

A big, spacious desk is a must. So many student houses have terrible Argos desks more suited for a children's bedroom than an adult's room.

Over lockdown I did an entire internship from my student house's desk, and it's very likely next academic year your tenants will be doing their first semester (maybe second too) virtually.

Just remember that the primary reason these people are renting from you is to study hard and earn a qualification. If your homes appear studious and productive, you will attract a different type of student to if it does not

Comment

Kitchen worktop cut to fit the space available - a length of batton at the back and two kitchen legs at the front (more if over 1.5m)

I gave up buying desks years ago - kitchen countertop is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by landlord-man View Post
                  Kitchen worktop cut to fit the space available - a length of batton at the back and two kitchen legs at the front (more if over 1.5m)

I gave up buying desks years ago - kitchen countertop is the way to go.
                  In today's episode of "How low can Student Landlords go"...

Comment

Sounds like a decent thing to me rather than 'How low can student landlords go'. Biggest desk possible to perfectly fit the space available. Not much cheaper than buying an actual desk, and highly practical.

Comment

Originally posted by oscarvl View Post

In your condemnation, you neglected to comment on the "(...if over 1.5m)" I mentioned.

You say you want space and a big desk - not many shop purchased desks are 1.5m long.

If there is a 3m space and the tenancy supports it, I would even install a 3m worktop at desk height (more space for left over pizza and pot noodles lol)

Or are you suggesting this worktop is not good enough for students? (not my picture but an example)
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by oscarvl View Post

He could have put 50cm legs on it then it would be really low!

Comment

OK I take it back, in my head I pictured a nasty melamine worktop with raw exposed chipboard at the sides where it's been cut (that's how my last landlord would have done it, anyway 😆), but that looks very nice.

Comment

Thanks Oscarvl for your input. It’s actually rare for student landlords ( or me , anyway!) to get any feedback from our tenants so it’s useful to know how crucial a decent desk is in the home.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord ignoring my messages
                              by eatsomekitkats
                              So, first time moving into house for uni after living in student accommodation for 3 years and so far it has been a shit show.

I had a house but then kind of fell out with one of my housemates and decided it would be best to vacate the property. A replacement tenant has been found for...
                              29-08-2020, 10:52 AM
                            • Reply to Landlord ignoring my messages
                              by Section20z
                              F**k me, how on earth are you going to cope with the rest of your life in the real world ?...
                              21-09-2020, 21:27 PM
                            • Reply to Landlord ignoring my messages
                              by gnvqsos
                              You have welfare officers at college who you could consult.As advised above you are in parlous circumstances.You need to restore your relationship with housemates.Describing something as a ****show makes you appear petulant,and does nothing to enhance your profile.
                              21-09-2020, 18:18 PM
                            • Best way to find housemates in London
                              by Tunji
                              Hi everyone,

I'm studying at Imperial this year and looking for accommodation, was wondering what the best websites are for finding like-minded housemates? I've had issues with Spare Room in the past, was wondering if anyone has used alternatives and what the pros and cons were? Would greatly...
                              11-09-2020, 19:15 PM
                            • Reply to Best way to find housemates in London
                              by Tunji
                              Thanks, I didn't realise that about rents being revised up as new tenants move in. I've been looking at post-graduate student accommodation as a last resort due to the expense but might have to go with that. Will look into more flexible landlord agreements as well. Thanks for the response and sorry...
                              12-09-2020, 10:23 AM
                            • Reply to Best way to find housemates in London
                              by amy131
                              You will find in HMOs that tenants pay varying rents among the household as tenants will have been there varying amounts of time. In the example you give the tenant in the master bedroom may have been there a number of years. I revise rents as tenants move out so the new tenant will be paying a bit...
                              12-09-2020, 09:11 AM
                            • Liverpool Student HMO
                              by mango65
                              I am a landlord with a couple of small flats in Woolwich London. I am looking for improved yields and have been thinkinf of investing in a student 6 bed house near the Liverpool Unis.

My concern is this market saturated? It looks as though you can buy high quality accommodation with a HMO...
                              07-09-2020, 15:42 PM
                            • Reply to Liverpool Student HMO
                              by DPT57
                              No idea, but you might like to take a look at this web-page: http://lightwatertpc.co.uk/2019/09/1...lats-and-hmos/
                              11-09-2020, 11:29 AM
                              by mango65
                              Thanks DPT. Sounds complicated.

Would you or anyone know how saturated the Liverpool student market actually is?...
                              10-09-2020, 14:34 PM
                              by DPT57
                              An HMO legally requires an HMO Manager as well as a landlord, (could be the same person). The reason is that they need a lot of management, especially student HMOs. If you let on the recommended room only basis you are responsible for the cleaning and regular inspection of communal parts. Difficult...
                              09-09-2020, 09:42 AM
                            Working...
                            X