Where to purchase study desk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to purchase study desk

I need to provide a new study desk in my student flat. Have looked at IKEA but would prefer ready assembled. Viking office supplies looks expensive- around £200 inc VAT! Any suggestions for decent quality at reasonable price- would prefer not to go above £100. Thank you.

Try FB marketplace or gumtree.

If you want to buy new, IKEA table top and legs sold separately, total £18.

You could spend the other £78 on some metal drawers and a comfy chair.

But to be honest, students these days rarely study at a desk - they sit on their beds with a laptop. So ask them first if they really want a desk.
    ​​​​
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

A few breezeblocks and some offcut kitchen worktop will do for many.

Also try second hand / charity shops.

British Heart Foundation 'Home Stores' are widespread and have everything you'd want to furnish a flat at much cheaper than new.
      Find your local one here:
      https://www.bhf.org.uk/shop/furnitur...ectrical-shops

Comment

If the desk has to go upstairs you might find it difficult with a ready assembled option. I supplied my students with ikea kitchen tables some years ago as they needed big desks. Cost £20 each and just had to attach legs

Comment

Thanks everyone. In the end I found something decent on gumtree which disassembles ( it’s being delivered by vendor tomorrow so fingers crossed the photo didn’t conceal any issues). The student did require a desk, that was a condition to them taking on the tenancy. I’m paying £40 plus £10 for delivery. It looks like a standard office desk and has the right measurements.

Comment

With business closing down, and more people working from home, I suspect that there is soon going to be a glut of second hand office furniture on the market.

Comment

As a student myself, I do not agree with the comment that says students rarely use their desks. For me, unless the house is within a 5 minute walk of the University I will use my desk for hours every day. It is a make or break thing in house viewings for me.

A big, spacious desk is a must. So many student houses have terrible Argos desks more suited for a children's bedroom than an adult's room.

Over lockdown I did an entire internship from my student house's desk, and it's very likely next academic year your tenants will be doing their first semester (maybe second too) virtually.

Just remember that the primary reason these people are renting from you is to study hard and earn a qualification. If your homes appear studious and productive, you will attract a different type of student to if it does not

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Where to purchase study desk
                by oscarvl
                As a student myself, I do not agree with the comment that says students rarely use their desks. For me, unless the house is within a 5 minute walk of the University I will use my desk for hours every day. It is a make or break thing in house viewings for me.

A big, spacious desk is a must....
                04-08-2020, 22:59 PM
              • Where to purchase study desk
                by Lots on
                I need to provide a new study desk in my student flat. Have looked at IKEA but would prefer ready assembled. Viking office supplies looks expensive- around £200 inc VAT! Any suggestions for decent quality at reasonable price- would prefer not to go above £100. Thank you....
                30-07-2020, 14:12 PM
                by nukecad
                With business closing down, and more people working from home, I suspect that there is soon going to be a glut of second hand office furniture on the market.
                04-08-2020, 11:37 AM
                by Lots on
                Thanks everyone. In the end I found something decent on gumtree which disassembles ( it’s being delivered by vendor tomorrow so fingers crossed the photo didn’t conceal any issues). The student did require a desk, that was a condition to them taking on the tenancy. I’m paying £40 plus £10 for...
                03-08-2020, 19:21 PM
                by DPT57
                If the desk has to go upstairs you might find it difficult with a ready assembled option. I supplied my students with ikea kitchen tables some years ago as they needed big desks. Cost £20 each and just had to attach legs
                03-08-2020, 07:56 AM
              • Student Letting advice
                by Mardanis
                Hi,

Does anyone have recommended sources of information around Student Letting?

Thank you
                13-07-2020, 08:19 AM
              • Reply to Student Letting advice
                by loanarranger
                Before anyone contemplates letting the property to students I would suggest that one checks with the current lender if they are presently happy for such a letting arrangement. Because of the current situation Paragon, TMW and Aldermore have changed criteria which excludes such Letting arrangements including...
                02-08-2020, 12:11 PM
                by nukecad
                A few breezeblocks and some offcut kitchen worktop will do for many.

Also try second hand / charity shops.

British Heart Foundation 'Home Stores' are widespread and have everything you'd want to furnish a flat at much cheaper than new.
                Find your local one here:
                02-08-2020, 11:51 AM
              • Reply to Student Letting advice
                by mind the gap
                I was being ironic, but less general than you, probably. 🙂
                01-08-2020, 22:55 PM
                by mind the gap
                Try FB marketplace or gumtree.

If you want to buy new, IKEA table top and legs sold separately, total £18.

You could spend the other £78 on some metal drawers and a comfy chair.

But to be honest, students these days rarely study at a desk - they sit on their...
                01-08-2020, 22:49 PM
              Working...
              X