Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student Letting advice

Hi,

Does anyone have recommended sources of information around Student Letting?

Thank you

From the position of a landlord or a student?

Comment

As a Landlord, I am familiar with letting HMO however not as a student let and wondered what the distinct differences are and regular points of friction or precautions to take.

Comment

Thats a big question and not one I could do justice to in a forum response. There are, however, lots of differences. I suggest you read as many of the threads on this section as you can to get a feel for it. There are also plenty of short guides on the Internet.

However, I would say that some key points to look out for are:
        - HMO regs
        - Council tax
        - joint tenancy vs room only
        - notice issues and potential overstaying
        - vulnerability and experience of the tenants
        - advertising
        - 10 month or 12 month lets & summer storage
        - holding deposit compliance
        - right to rent in relation to overseas students
        - bills included rents and the issue of overuse

Comment

It is also worth remembering that this is the first time away from home for most students and as such they can be very naive.

They are more likely to be a group of friends living together than strangers sharing a house; they may have house parties with more students; they will probably move on after a year; they will probably all dry their laundry in communal rooms (causing condensation); they will probably not open windows much; they may use a lot of gas and electricity; they can be loud; they don't always know how to keep a house clean; they can keep strange hours; I found boys more destructive (unintentionally) than girls; they may not really understand either contract or their rights or responsibilities; they may not know how to change a light bulb or spot a leaking shower!

In short, you need to be ready for extra expenses and I would keep a close eye on the property - I used to do maintenance in the Christmas and Easter holidays when the property was empty to keep it in order.

A student let can be financially rewarding but it can also be a lot of hard work.

Good luck

Comment

I disagree about boys being more destructive (intentionally or otherwise) than girls. In my experience it is impossible and thus unhelpful to generalise.

What I have observed is that there is generally a direct correlation between parental income and the entitledness felt by the students in terms of how much other people should do for them in terms of cleaning, repairs, etc. Also, the richer the parent, the less able the offspring is to be able to clean a toilet or empty a dishwasher. And the more likely it is than their mattress will be stained at the end of the tenancy and need replacing.
            'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

mind the gap,

You say it is unhelpful to generalise and .....then generalise!

My experience is of one house over 6 years so not exhaustive, but it is my experience which is all I can offer.

Comment

I was being ironic, but less general than you, probably. 🙂
                'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Before anyone contemplates letting the property to students I would suggest that one checks with the current lender if they are presently happy for such a letting arrangement. Because of the current situation Paragon, TMW and Aldermore have changed criteria which excludes such Letting arrangements including property which is a licensed HMO. There are a number who do not have such restrictions but it is prudent to check.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord ignoring my messages
                    by eatsomekitkats
                    So, first time moving into house for uni after living in student accommodation for 3 years and so far it has been a shit show.

I had a house but then kind of fell out with one of my housemates and decided it would be best to vacate the property. A replacement tenant has been found for...
                    29-08-2020, 10:52 AM
                  • Reply to Landlord ignoring my messages
                    by Section20z
                    me, how on earth are you going to cope with the rest of your life in the real world ?...
                    21-09-2020, 21:27 PM
                  • Reply to Landlord ignoring my messages
                    by gnvqsos
                    You have welfare officers at college who you could consult.As advised above you are in parlous circumstances.You need to restore your relationship with housemates.Describing something as a ****show makes you appear petulant,and does nothing to enhance your profile.
                    21-09-2020, 18:18 PM
                  • Best way to find housemates in London
                    by Tunji
                    Hi everyone,

I'm studying at Imperial this year and looking for accommodation, was wondering what the best websites are for finding like-minded housemates? I've had issues with Spare Room in the past, was wondering if anyone has used alternatives and what the pros and cons were? Would greatly...
                    11-09-2020, 19:15 PM
                  • Reply to Best way to find housemates in London
                    by Tunji
                    Thanks, I didn't realise that about rents being revised up as new tenants move in. I've been looking at post-graduate student accommodation as a last resort due to the expense but might have to go with that. Will look into more flexible landlord agreements as well. Thanks for the response and sorry...
                    12-09-2020, 10:23 AM
                  • Reply to Best way to find housemates in London
                    by amy131
                    You will find in HMOs that tenants pay varying rents among the household as tenants will have been there varying amounts of time. In the example you give the tenant in the master bedroom may have been there a number of years. I revise rents as tenants move out so the new tenant will be paying a bit...
                    12-09-2020, 09:11 AM
                  • Liverpool Student HMO
                    by mango65
                    I am a landlord with a couple of small flats in Woolwich London. I am looking for improved yields and have been thinkinf of investing in a student 6 bed house near the Liverpool Unis.

My concern is this market saturated? It looks as though you can buy high quality accommodation with a HMO...
                    07-09-2020, 15:42 PM
                  • Reply to Liverpool Student HMO
                    by DPT57
                    No idea, but you might like to take a look at this web-page: http://lightwatertpc.co.uk/2019/09/1...lats-and-hmos/
                    11-09-2020, 11:29 AM
                    by mango65
                    Thanks DPT. Sounds complicated.

Would you or anyone know how saturated the Liverpool student market actually is?...
                    10-09-2020, 14:34 PM
                    by DPT57
                    An HMO legally requires an HMO Manager as well as a landlord, (could be the same person). The reason is that they need a lot of management, especially student HMOs. If you let on the recommended room only basis you are responsible for the cleaning and regular inspection of communal parts. Difficult...
                    09-09-2020, 09:42 AM
                  Working...
                  X