Risk of being guarantor / Signing student tenancy / EU citizen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Risk of being guarantor / Signing student tenancy / EU citizen

I had a call from my cousin, who is a Spanish citizen. I was asked, if I could be a guarantor for his daughter, who has been studying in Brighton. He wondered if this was something easy or complicated.

For last year, she was in a student let. She only had to pay 3 months rent in advance.

For this academic year, she has found another place. This new agency is asking for 12months rent in advance. He is frustrated by their terms. Those with UK guarantors, only need to pay one month's rent in advance. They don't accept non-UK guarantors.

There are 4 girls in total. The other 3 students are British and have parents as guarantors.

The rent for the entire property is £25k per year.

I was n't keen on being a guarantor, mainly due to the hassle of paperwork. I did n't want to disclose my personal finances.

I also remembered the tenancy clauses tend to be "jointly and severely liable". So I did n't want to be liable for the entire £25k i.e. all four students. I can vouch for my cousin, but I can't vouch for the other 3 students.

I did express some concerns about signing a new student tenancy, given that we may have another lockdown, if cases explode. Given COVID-19, I don't know what happens. Will students be entitled to student financing? Or if their parents (guarantors) loose their jobs. There are many unknowns.

Many of the lessons will be online. However, the daughter is determined to go to Uni and salvage something of student life.

What are people's thoughts?

It would not be something I would do for all the reasons you have outlined, unless 25k is pocket change it could prove to be very expensive.

Comment

It is the same old story as usual. If it was not such a palava getting rid of rogue or non-paying tenants, then life would be a lot easier for people like your cousin. But those who make the laws don't give a stuff, because your cousin is not the their type of tenant.

Comment

Tricky to refuse family but maybe point out that you don't want to be liable for the whole lot. Could you maybe offer to help out with the 12 months in advance - £6250?

Comment

You could ask for the tenancy or guarantor agreement to be altered to limit your liability to your neices debt only.

Comment

I signed one because I had had no sight of the AST and think it would be unenforceable. Additionally all tenants in the shared house have to have guarantors which also dilutes risk (I know my son will pay what is owed and if he doesn't I will but as above I don't want to be liable for the rest!)
            Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Cousin? I'd think twice before doing it for a sister.

My cousins are jerks.

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
                Could you maybe offer to help out with the 12 months in advance - £6250?
                I don't think he needs financial help. He wanted to pay quarterly or even monthly. Spain is coming out of lockdown and everyone is licking their wounds.

Comment

There are a number of options - probably the most common is for the landlord to accept that they get 3 guarantors. This is only possible if the parents of those 3 have enough income to cover the rent. The other parents will be happier with this if 3 months is paid up front.

Some universities will act as guarantor, that is rare.

There are companies that do this for a fee e.g. https://ukguarantor.com/about-us/ and https://www.housinghand.co.uk/guarantor-service/

A lot of guarantor agreements are not worth the paper they are not written on. My child's landlords didnt always send me a copy of the AST before I virtually signed the guarantor agreement, they were fortunate they had decent tenants and never needed to try and enforce those.

I didnt even want to guarantee my child's friends, I would find an excuse not to do that for a cousin. Most agreements mean you guarantee not only rent but any damage they do, this is a very big ask for your cousin.

Comment

As above, in my case I have not seen the AST and virtually signed the agreement....
                    Unshackled by the chains of idle vanity, A modest manatee, that's me

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Landlord ignoring my messages
                      by eatsomekitkats
                      So, first time moving into house for uni after living in student accommodation for 3 years and so far it has been a shit show.

I had a house but then kind of fell out with one of my housemates and decided it would be best to vacate the property. A replacement tenant has been found for...
                      29-08-2020, 10:52 AM
                    • Reply to Landlord ignoring my messages
                      by Section20z
                      F**k me, how on earth are you going to cope with the rest of your life in the real world ?...
                      21-09-2020, 21:27 PM
                    • Reply to Landlord ignoring my messages
                      by gnvqsos
                      You have welfare officers at college who you could consult.As advised above you are in parlous circumstances.You need to restore your relationship with housemates.Describing something as a ****show makes you appear petulant,and does nothing to enhance your profile.
                      21-09-2020, 18:18 PM
                    • Best way to find housemates in London
                      by Tunji
                      Hi everyone,

I'm studying at Imperial this year and looking for accommodation, was wondering what the best websites are for finding like-minded housemates? I've had issues with Spare Room in the past, was wondering if anyone has used alternatives and what the pros and cons were? Would greatly...
                      11-09-2020, 19:15 PM
                    • Reply to Best way to find housemates in London
                      by Tunji
                      Thanks, I didn't realise that about rents being revised up as new tenants move in. I've been looking at post-graduate student accommodation as a last resort due to the expense but might have to go with that. Will look into more flexible landlord agreements as well. Thanks for the response and sorry...
                      12-09-2020, 10:23 AM
                    • Reply to Best way to find housemates in London
                      by amy131
                      You will find in HMOs that tenants pay varying rents among the household as tenants will have been there varying amounts of time. In the example you give the tenant in the master bedroom may have been there a number of years. I revise rents as tenants move out so the new tenant will be paying a bit...
                      12-09-2020, 09:11 AM
                    • Reply to Liverpool Student HMO
                      by DPT57
                      No idea, but you might like to take a look at this web-page: http://lightwatertpc.co.uk/2019/09/1...lats-and-hmos/
                      11-09-2020, 11:29 AM
                    • Liverpool Student HMO
                      by mango65
                      I am a landlord with a couple of small flats in Woolwich London. I am looking for improved yields and have been thinkinf of investing in a student 6 bed house near the Liverpool Unis.

My concern is this market saturated? It looks as though you can buy high quality accommodation with a HMO...
                      07-09-2020, 15:42 PM
                      by mango65
                      Thanks DPT. Sounds complicated.

Would you or anyone know how saturated the Liverpool student market actually is?...
                      10-09-2020, 14:34 PM
                      by DPT57
                      An HMO legally requires an HMO Manager as well as a landlord, (could be the same person). The reason is that they need a lot of management, especially student HMOs. If you let on the recommended room only basis you are responsible for the cleaning and regular inspection of communal parts. Difficult...
                      09-09-2020, 09:42 AM
                    Working...
                    X