Parent guarantor issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parent guarantor issue

6 students want to rent a house. 1 student proposed only parent to be guarantor - but parent doesn't fit LL/ agent criteria (no job/ no owned property). Student doesn't want to lose house (next autumn rental). Any good suggestions for student to propose to mates and the agent?
    Would paying deposit and 3-4months rent upfront (by summer) be enough?

There's no black and white answer to that, it depends on the landlord/agent's own criteria.

If they're all signing a joint and several tenancy agreement everyone is responsible for all of the rent, so, in theory, if one doesn't pay, the other 5 would have to make up the shortfall.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

As an LL I tend to overlook it if one person cannot meet the criteria, I get the parent to sign anyway, as it adds pressure to the students to behave, but as its joint and several you can just sue the others.
      However from the students point of view, if LL won't change his mind then that's tough to get around.

Comment

First see if the landlord will accept the 6 with one parent not meeting the criteria - my own child was in that position and the landlord did accept it as there was more than enough cover from the other parents. As one of the other parents I was not too happy effectively covering someone else's child but it worked.

If they wont then there are several possible options - paying some rent up front (6 months is the usual offer), finding another guarantor, seeing if the university will act as guarantor ( a few will, not many), and if all else fails https://www.housinghand.co.uk/guarantor-service/

Comment

thanks
          Student kind of got round it with a very kind other parent. They have agreed to be guarantor. Phew.
          A suggestion has been made that funds are paid up front if available by the time the tenancy starts - apx half the term rent. Thanks for everyone's advice....

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Charging during vivid 19
            by Liberty1237
            Hello, I really don’t want to charge my student renters during this time as their university is closed for the next term and they are not occupying the property for the rest of the contract. I was wondering if anyone knew any government schemes during this time that I could claim loss of rent through...
            07-04-2020, 17:19 PM
          • Reply to Charging during vivid 19
            by jpkeates
            There's no such scheme.

Property investment is an investment business and the government won't support investments which, by nature, go up and down in value and deliver varying returns.
            08-04-2020, 08:42 AM
          • Reply to Not yet moved in - do we?
            by buzzard1994
            By September there may be antibody testing and the government will be very keen to reduce the economic cost. by getting as much as possible back to normal. So I'd expect university terms to begin either as normal or a few weeks later with a shortened freshers time. As an ex student parent I wouldnt...
            01-04-2020, 16:35 PM
          • Not yet moved in - do we?
            by bompey
            I am writing this as someone who is a landlord and also has a student offspring at Uni so can see both sides of the fence as neither side wants to be out of pocket.

Son has signed up for a house for 2nd year of uni, as one of 6 in a house share. They are due to take it on from beginning...
            31-03-2020, 11:43 AM
          • Student Property & Coronavirus
            by boomboom
            Hi guys

Hope that you are all well and in good health. Tough times ahead but I am sure we will get through it.

I have a question which I am sure will be a common theme going forward but it would be great to get people's views on.

I have a student property where...
            24-03-2020, 08:59 AM
          • Reply to Student Property & Coronavirus
            by buzzard1994
            How reasonable landlords can afford to be depends on what their own commitments are.

At times like this people want their loved ones with them if possible - and young people can help their family by doing the shopping for them. I would have regarded by child as safer under my eye than...
            01-04-2020, 16:25 PM
            by jpucng62
            You run the risk of losing the house if you don't complete the agreement with the prospect of having to find a house for 6 at short notice if term starts again as usual.

I believe the Govt will try its hardest to have schools and Unis back at the beginning of the new year and the LL will...
            31-03-2020, 12:33 PM
            by jpkeates
            If the contract for the property is signed and complete, it's a done deal and not adhering to the terms would be a breach of that contract.

If there are movement restrictions which mean that moving in is impossible in July, it may be that the contract is frustrated, but you can't predict...
            31-03-2020, 11:58 AM
            by jpucng62
            I own a student rental too. The students will be getting their normal loans & have signed contracts until the end of the year but most have gone home now and will not return.

My plan: as it is nearly the Easter holidays, let the rent run until the end of the holiday as normal. For the...
            28-03-2020, 14:36 PM
            by theartfullodger
            From "The Times" of yesterday regarding "Unite Students" , biggest student landlord...etc etc etc etc...

On reflection I think their position is correct. I'm taking a flexible position. In reality nothing can realistically be done regarding unpaid rent for a few months....
            27-03-2020, 12:32 PM
          Working...
          X