Payed rent can't move in to my room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payed rent can't move in to my room

Hi, so I have payed this months rent and could of moved in on the 2nd September but I had work so I am moving in on the 28th, but got a message today say my room is still damp and the bed has been moved to the living room, also he does not know when I can move in to that bed room btw the girl before me left in July so... Is this legal or can I ask for money back?

What outcome are you hoping for? Do you want to unwind the contract or just live elsewhere until the room is habitable? Either should be possible and as long as you pay rent, the landlord would be obliged to pay your reasonable costs to live elsewhere in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by StudentRenter View Post
      my room is still damp .................... the girl before me left in July
      You have given a couple of clues as to what may be going on here but advice has to be limited because of lack of background information,

Firstly, as the landlord says the room is still damp then he must know that it was damp and have an idea what caused it. If he knows what has caused it and has solved it and you are happy with the explanation then you may be OK in the room when it has dried out( but see below). A suitable explanation of damp could be a wall having been replastered or a leak which has been repaired.

As the room has been unoccupied since July then the damp problem is unlikely to be related to occupation of the room. A possible explanation could be the recent very heavy rainfall which has leaked inside due to failing gutter and or roof issues.If these have not been fully solved then you will continue to have damp problems which may progress to mould growth. Even if leak is fixed a damp room may take months to dry out and is dependent on the heat and ventilation applied.

You are lucky in that you have had an early warning before the onset of winter,

Comment

It was your 'fault' you didn't move in on 2nd Sept, so usually the answer would be - tough, you need to pay.

However, as the room is uninhabitable and you never started the tenancy (moved in) then imho your landlord can't charge you for something he has been unable to provide. You can certainly ask for your money back but it is possible you will have difficulty getting it back - if that happens, come back here for more guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by Snorkerz View Post
          It was your 'fault' you didn't move in on 2nd Sept, so usually the answer would be - tough, you need to pay.

However, as the room is uninhabitable and you never started the tenancy (moved in) then imho your landlord can't charge you for something he has been unable to provide. You can certainly ask for your money back but it is possible you will have difficulty getting it back - if that happens, come back here for more guidance.
          What an odd response. Some very strange advice on here. Just because she was given the option to move in on 28th doesn't mean it's her fault she opted to take that option & that the landlord couldn't uphold his side of the contract due to damp issues.

If you signed a contract to move in on 28th, and the landlord cannot provide the room then of course you are entitled to your money back.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Charging during vivid 19
            by Liberty1237
            Hello, I really don’t want to charge my student renters during this time as their university is closed for the next term and they are not occupying the property for the rest of the contract. I was wondering if anyone knew any government schemes during this time that I could claim loss of rent through...
            07-04-2020, 17:19 PM
          • Reply to Charging during vivid 19
            by jpkeates
            There's no such scheme.

Property investment is an investment business and the government won't support investments which, by nature, go up and down in value and deliver varying returns.
            08-04-2020, 08:42 AM
          • Not yet moved in - do we?
            by bompey
            I am writing this as someone who is a landlord and also has a student offspring at Uni so can see both sides of the fence as neither side wants to be out of pocket.

Son has signed up for a house for 2nd year of uni, as one of 6 in a house share. They are due to take it on from beginning...
            31-03-2020, 11:43 AM
          • Reply to Not yet moved in - do we?
            by buzzard1994
            By September there may be antibody testing and the government will be very keen to reduce the economic cost. by getting as much as possible back to normal. So I'd expect university terms to begin either as normal or a few weeks later with a shortened freshers time. As an ex student parent I wouldnt...
            01-04-2020, 16:35 PM
          • Student Property & Coronavirus
            by boomboom
            Hi guys

Hope that you are all well and in good health. Tough times ahead but I am sure we will get through it.

I have a question which I am sure will be a common theme going forward but it would be great to get people's views on.

I have a student property where...
            24-03-2020, 08:59 AM
          • Reply to Student Property & Coronavirus
            by buzzard1994
            How reasonable landlords can afford to be depends on what their own commitments are.

At times like this people want their loved ones with them if possible - and young people can help their family by doing the shopping for them. I would have regarded by child as safer under my eye than...
            01-04-2020, 16:25 PM
            by jpucng62
            You run the risk of losing the house if you don't complete the agreement with the prospect of having to find a house for 6 at short notice if term starts again as usual.

I believe the Govt will try its hardest to have schools and Unis back at the beginning of the new year and the LL will...
            31-03-2020, 12:33 PM
            by jpkeates
            If the contract for the property is signed and complete, it's a done deal and not adhering to the terms would be a breach of that contract.

If there are movement restrictions which mean that moving in is impossible in July, it may be that the contract is frustrated, but you can't predict...
            31-03-2020, 11:58 AM
            by jpucng62
            I own a student rental too. The students will be getting their normal loans & have signed contracts until the end of the year but most have gone home now and will not return.

My plan: as it is nearly the Easter holidays, let the rent run until the end of the holiday as normal. For the...
            28-03-2020, 14:36 PM
            by theartfullodger
            From "The Times" of yesterday regarding "Unite Students" , biggest student landlord...etc etc etc etc...

On reflection I think their position is correct. I'm taking a flexible position. In reality nothing can realistically be done regarding unpaid rent for a few months....
            27-03-2020, 12:32 PM
          Working...
          X