Payed rent can't move in to my room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payed rent can't move in to my room

Hi, so I have payed this months rent and could of moved in on the 2nd September but I had work so I am moving in on the 28th, but got a message today say my room is still damp and the bed has been moved to the living room, also he does not know when I can move in to that bed room btw the girl before me left in July so... Is this legal or can I ask for money back?

What outcome are you hoping for? Do you want to unwind the contract or just live elsewhere until the room is habitable? Either should be possible and as long as you pay rent, the landlord would be obliged to pay your reasonable costs to live elsewhere in the meantime.

Comment

Originally posted by StudentRenter View Post
      my room is still damp .................... the girl before me left in July
      You have given a couple of clues as to what may be going on here but advice has to be limited because of lack of background information,

Firstly, as the landlord says the room is still damp then he must know that it was damp and have an idea what caused it. If he knows what has caused it and has solved it and you are happy with the explanation then you may be OK in the room when it has dried out( but see below). A suitable explanation of damp could be a wall having been replastered or a leak which has been repaired.

As the room has been unoccupied since July then the damp problem is unlikely to be related to occupation of the room. A possible explanation could be the recent very heavy rainfall which has leaked inside due to failing gutter and or roof issues.If these have not been fully solved then you will continue to have damp problems which may progress to mould growth. Even if leak is fixed a damp room may take months to dry out and is dependent on the heat and ventilation applied.

You are lucky in that you have had an early warning before the onset of winter,

Comment

It was your 'fault' you didn't move in on 2nd Sept, so usually the answer would be - tough, you need to pay.

However, as the room is uninhabitable and you never started the tenancy (moved in) then imho your landlord can't charge you for something he has been unable to provide. You can certainly ask for your money back but it is possible you will have difficulty getting it back - if that happens, come back here for more guidance.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X