Move in date moved on morning of move.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move in date moved on morning of move.

My son had a call this morning telling him he couldn’t move in to his student let this afternoon because they haven’t completed the checkout after the previous tenant. He was told this would be done a week ago.

He is already in the area and we were on our way with his belongings when he called us. Two hour trip!

Deposits have been payed but the contract was due to be signed when they collected the keys this morning. I imagine they can mess him around as much as they like without a signed contract. We have signed a guarantor document that states this is the move in date, does that have any weight?
    But any advice would be helpful.
    This is going cause a logistical nightmare and have financial implications.
    Thank you

Tell them you are going to need to book into a hotel and put belongings in storage and charge that to them.

Has he paid the first month of rent too? It sounds like you have a contract so even if they are not signed you are secure.

Stick to your guns and ask advice here if it becomes necessary to take then to court for breach of contract.

Where are the other students (presumably sharing?)?

Comment

Thank you for your reply, he had paid his deposit and first months rent. The agents originally suggested he could store his items in the property until he got the key on Tuesday. Can you imagine putting your belongings in a property you have no right to enter and have no key for and walking away, unbelievable.
      My son is nobodies fool, he has stuck to his guns and it looks like things are moving forward.
      Fingers crossed for a move today after all.

Comment

Spoke too soon, it seems they dragged it out through the day and are now saying they can’t do the check in until Monday and will change the contract to Mondays dates. This has caused major inconvenience to us as parents and to my son who now has to sofa surf for 2 nights.
        Do we have any rights?
        Thank you

Comment

Do as I said. They can't change the date. That is why it is a contract.

Comment

Usual addressing details:

Re: letter before claim

Dear Sirs

As you know I had a tenancy agreement in respect of [Property address] which was due to start on [date]. I am led to understand that the fact that the tenancy agreement was not yet signed as of the date of entry is irrelevant, since the final tenancy agreements does not have to be signed in order for a tenancy contract to be valid. I do not wish the contract start date to be changed to anything other than the promised start date which is mentioned in a variety of your correspondences.

When I arrived with my belongings on [date and time] expecting to receive the key I was told that the start date had been delayed until []. This is not acceptable to me, nor is an extension to the end date of the tenancy of any value to me. Kindly refund the amount of xxxxx from my first month of rent (and the rents of all my co-tenants), and also compensate me in the amount of £100 in respect of my time, excess travel costs and the costs incurred in having to seek cooked meals.

Please confirm by return that this is acceptable to you, otherwise we will be making a claim at the local country court in respect of the same. I expect a response within the seven days of the date of this letter [by xxx].

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to reply again. The above letter will be very helpful.

Comment

Do let us know the outcome here.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Payed rent can't move in to my room
                  StudentRenter
                  Hi, so I have payed this months rent and could of moved in on the 2nd September but I had work so I am moving in on the 28th, but got a message today say my room is still damp and the bed has been moved to the living room, also he does not know when I can move in to that bed room btw the girl before...
                  28-09-2019, 00:19 AM
                • Reply to Payed rent can't move in to my room
                  Snorkerz
                  It was your 'fault' you didn't move in on 2nd Sept, so usually the answer would be - tough, you need to pay.

However, as the room is uninhabitable and you never started the tenancy (moved in) then imho your landlord can't charge you for something he has been unable to provide. You can...
                  01-10-2019, 09:16 AM
                  AlexR
                  You have given a couple of clues as to what may be going on here but advice has to be limited because of lack of background information,

Firstly, as the landlord says the room is still damp then he must know that it was damp and have an idea what caused it. If he knows what has caused it...
                  30-09-2019, 19:38 PM
                  DPT57
                  What outcome are you hoping for? Do you want to unwind the contract or just live elsewhere until the room is habitable? Either should be possible and as long as you pay rent, the landlord would be obliged to pay your reasonable costs to live elsewhere in the meantime....
                  28-09-2019, 16:22 PM
                • Non paying tenant & court
                  Doris66
                  I signed a joint tenancy agreement with 3 other students. 1 of them dropped out after paying the 1st months rent. The contract was joint & severally liable. After a few months of us trying to find a replacement, with no chance! The letting agents called us for a meeting as to how we could pay...
                  23-09-2019, 18:20 PM
                • Reply to Non paying tenant & court
                  jpkeates
                  The arrangement between the tenants is nothing to do with the tenancy agreement or the document.
                  It's to do with the agreement that they must have made to somehow share the costs, for which the tenancy agreement is simply evidence.

What the split was and how it was agreed will be...
                  25-09-2019, 07:50 AM
                  theartfullodger
                  Clearly morally that's correct.

But, please, where in any document has the drop-out agreed to any particular proportion of the rent?

Surely the whole point of joint & several tenancies is that each tenant is sue-able for the whole lot? And if the split is defined in AST...
                  24-09-2019, 15:44 PM
                • Move in date moved on morning of move.
                  J Dut
                  My son had a call this morning telling him he couldn’t move in to his student let this afternoon because they haven’t completed the checkout after the previous tenant. He was told this would be done a week ago.

He is already in the area and we were on our way with his belongings when...
                  21-09-2019, 12:25 PM
                • Reply to Move in date moved on morning of move.
                  AndrewDod
                  Do let us know the outcome here.
                  24-09-2019, 10:53 AM
                  jpkeates
                  You have every right to sue the missing tenant.
                  All three of you would have to take the action (which could be done using the small claims court).

The tenant agreed to share the cost of the property with you and then reneged on the deal.
                  You should sue them for a quarter (or...
                  24-09-2019, 08:13 AM
                Working...
                X