How often do you change flooring in your student flat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How often do you change flooring in your student flat?

The carpets in my student flat are looking a bit tired. I’m hesitating between having them professionally cleaned, or changing. They are 5-6 years old. Thanks for sharing your views.

Good quality carpets well cared for can last 20 years or much more. Lousy carpets poorly cared for can last 2 years.

Comment

Good quallity, stain proof/bleach-cleanable carpets : 8 years unless, wrecked by tenants, in which case, sooner, but at their expense (minus an allowance for fw and t).

It's worth providing good ones and stressing to Ts that if they ALWAYS remove their shoes before walking on carpets (provide a tub in hallway for this purpose, with polite notice above it), they are much more likely to hang onto their deposit. Also remind them at the outset that irons and hot brushes melt carpets and that you WILL charge to replace the carpet in the room affected.

Also educate them about cleaning up spills immediately they've happened, (provide with spray botlle of Vanish) or risk the stain not coming out and being charged for it.
      'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Hello, thanks both, and sorry I’ve been off
        line for a month. I 5ink I’ll get the carpets steam cleaned next summer. They’re not great quality to be honest, but not shocking either and have a few years left in them.

Comment

Taking ones shoes off indoors is not a British tradition. People thought I was a bit strange when I did that in the office.

It does seem to be proper etiquette in many other cultures, but I don't think it is something that you can reasonably insist on in a UK HMO.

Comment

Agreed leaseholder. They are in their own home while they are renting, I can’t really stipulate what they do with their shoes.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Parent guarantor issue
              by HP mum
              6 students want to rent a house. 1 student proposed only parent to be guarantor - but parent doesn't fit LL/ agent criteria (no job/ no owned property). Student doesn't want to lose house (next autumn rental). Any good suggestions for student to propose to mates and the agent?
              Would paying deposit...
              06-02-2020, 12:20 PM
            • Reply to Parent guarantor issue
              by HP mum
              thanks
              Student kind of got round it with a very kind other parent. They have agreed to be guarantor. Phew.
              A suggestion has been made that funds are paid up front if available by the time the tenancy starts - apx half the term rent. Thanks for everyone's advice....
              15-02-2020, 15:02 PM
              by buzzard1994
              First see if the landlord will accept the 6 with one parent not meeting the criteria - my own child was in that position and the landlord did accept it as there was more than enough cover from the other parents. As one of the other parents I was not too happy effectively covering someone else's child...
              12-02-2020, 22:36 PM
              by toys19
              As an LL I tend to overlook it if one person cannot meet the criteria, I get the parent to sign anyway, as it adds pressure to the students to behave, but as its joint and several you can just sue the others.
              However from the students point of view, if LL won't change his mind then that's tough...
              12-02-2020, 10:35 AM
              by jpkeates
              There's no black and white answer to that, it depends on the landlord/agent's own criteria.

If they're all signing a joint and several tenancy agreement everyone is responsible for all of the rent, so, in theory, if one doesn't pay, the other 5 would have to make up the shortfall.
              06-02-2020, 12:52 PM
            • Reply to Payed rent can't move in to my room
              by pennythrip56
              What an odd response. Some very strange advice on here. Just because she was given the option to move in on 28th doesn't mean it's her fault she opted to take that option & that the landlord couldn't uphold his side of the contract due to damp issues.

If you signed a contract to move...
              06-02-2020, 09:22 AM
            • Payed rent can't move in to my room
              by StudentRenter
              Hi, so I have payed this months rent and could of moved in on the 2nd September but I had work so I am moving in on the 28th, but got a message today say my room is still damp and the bed has been moved to the living room, also he does not know when I can move in to that bed room btw the girl before...
              28-09-2019, 00:19 AM
            • Reply to Good place to buy art for a student house?
              by pennythrip56
              Be careful about putting artwork up- you're spending money that is likely to either get stolen or broken by students. Just make sure the place is decent, you don't need art work.
              06-02-2020, 09:18 AM
            • Good place to buy art for a student house?
              by JamesHopeful
              I'm currently renovating a student house and would like to buy some art (framed prints or canvas prints) for it.

I had a look at IKEA which is OK but I feel like I've seen the same pieces everywhere. I've also had a look at Loft Interiors, who have some nice stuff but their decent-sized...
              08-10-2017, 09:41 AM
            • Reply to Good place to buy art for a student house?
              by oscarandjo
              As a student tenant I'd have appreciated it if my landlord had made it easier for us to put our own stuff up. For example, having nails/hooks already in the walls, since we're not allowed to use blu tac.

​​​That being said, some colourful art in the property photos listed on the agency...
              22-01-2020, 11:48 AM
            Working...
            X