Mattress Disposal Charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously landlords do not act collectively. What I meant was that it is only the actions of landlords which have brought in new regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
      What I meant was that it is only the actions of landlords which have brought in new regulations.
      Of course it isn't. There are loads of political, financial and self interest reasons for legislation that are nothing to do with the actions of landlords.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

Of course it isn't. There are loads of political, financial and self interest reasons for legislation that are nothing to do with the actions of landlords.
        Deposit protection was brought in because tenants were getting ripped off.

Banning payment of fees by tenants was brought in because tenants were being ripped off.

Stopping the service of section 21 notices when tenants complained about the condition of a property was brought in to stop just that.

Regulations relating to the condition of property were brought in because too many let properties were sub-standard.

Comment

All those things have been going on for decades and government was well aware of them. Property conditions have actually improved quite dramatically.

But government has very recently brought in a raft of legislation and taxes because it needs to reverse the increase in private renting.

Renters vote Labour, homeowners vote Tory. Some tenants also benefitting is a bonus.

Comment

The reason for discouraging private landlords is the social harm that is resulting from the PRS. I suspect most landlords are right wing and deregulationist, so natural Conservative voters, not the people that the government would want to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
              The reason for discouraging private landlords is the social harm that is resulting from the PRS.
              There's some truth in that but a certain level of PRS homes is a good thing and very necessary. Rather than making renting worse, they should be making home ownership easier/better.

I suspect most landlords are right wing and deregulationist, so natural Conservative voters, not the people that the government would want to lose.
              I think they've worked out that they won't lose them, who else are they going to vote for?

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post

That would be fraud, unless you declared it as commercial waste and paid the tip's commercial waste rates.

You also need a lower tier waste carrier licence to do this, although that is free of charge. If you charge a tenant to remove their waste, and move it yourself, you will need a higher tier licence.

I'm sure it happens quite a lot, but my council has actually suggested that one of the main reason for mattresses being fly-tipped is because landlords cannot dispose of them free of charge.

This is not my council, but explains the general rules: https://www.durham.gov.uk/article/18...from-landlords
                So everytime, I take something from the tip from a rental property, it's commercial waste, but if my tenant took it, it would be domestic ? The world is madder than I naively thought.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Where to purchase study desk
                  by Lots on
                  I need to provide a new study desk in my student flat. Have looked at IKEA but would prefer ready assembled. Viking office supplies looks expensive- around £200 inc VAT! Any suggestions for decent quality at reasonable price- would prefer not to go above £100. Thank you....
                  30-07-2020, 14:12 PM
                • Reply to Where to purchase study desk
                  by oscarvl
                  As a student myself, I do not agree with the comment that says students rarely use their desks. For me, unless the house is within a 5 minute walk of the University I will use my desk for hours every day. It is a make or break thing in house viewings for me.

A big, spacious desk is a must....
                  04-08-2020, 22:59 PM
                  by nukecad
                  With business closing down, and more people working from home, I suspect that there is soon going to be a glut of second hand office furniture on the market.
                  04-08-2020, 11:37 AM
                  by Lots on
                  Thanks everyone. In the end I found something decent on gumtree which disassembles ( it’s being delivered by vendor tomorrow so fingers crossed the photo didn’t conceal any issues). The student did require a desk, that was a condition to them taking on the tenancy. I’m paying £40 plus £10 for...
                  03-08-2020, 19:21 PM
                  by DPT57
                  If the desk has to go upstairs you might find it difficult with a ready assembled option. I supplied my students with ikea kitchen tables some years ago as they needed big desks. Cost £20 each and just had to attach legs
                  03-08-2020, 07:56 AM
                • Student Letting advice
                  by Mardanis
                  Hi,

Does anyone have recommended sources of information around Student Letting?

Thank you
                  13-07-2020, 08:19 AM
                • Reply to Student Letting advice
                  by loanarranger
                  Before anyone contemplates letting the property to students I would suggest that one checks with the current lender if they are presently happy for such a letting arrangement. Because of the current situation Paragon, TMW and Aldermore have changed criteria which excludes such Letting arrangements including...
                  02-08-2020, 12:11 PM
                  by nukecad
                  A few breezeblocks and some offcut kitchen worktop will do for many.

Also try second hand / charity shops.

British Heart Foundation 'Home Stores' are widespread and have everything you'd want to furnish a flat at much cheaper than new.
                  Find your local one here:
                  02-08-2020, 11:51 AM
                • Reply to Student Letting advice
                  by mind the gap
                  I was being ironic, but less general than you, probably. 🙂
                  01-08-2020, 22:55 PM
                  by mind the gap
                  Try FB marketplace or gumtree.

If you want to buy new, IKEA table top and legs sold separately, total £18.

You could spend the other £78 on some metal drawers and a comfy chair.

But to be honest, students these days rarely study at a desk - they sit on their...
                  01-08-2020, 22:49 PM
                Working...
                X