Mattress Disposal Charge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obviously landlords do not act collectively. What I meant was that it is only the actions of landlords which have brought in new regulations.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
      What I meant was that it is only the actions of landlords which have brought in new regulations.
      Of course it isn't. There are loads of political, financial and self interest reasons for legislation that are nothing to do with the actions of landlords.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

Of course it isn't. There are loads of political, financial and self interest reasons for legislation that are nothing to do with the actions of landlords.
        Deposit protection was brought in because tenants were getting ripped off.

Banning payment of fees by tenants was brought in because tenants were being ripped off.

Stopping the service of section 21 notices when tenants complained about the condition of a property was brought in to stop just that.

Regulations relating to the condition of property were brought in because too many let properties were sub-standard.

Comment

All those things have been going on for decades and government was well aware of them. Property conditions have actually improved quite dramatically.

But government has very recently brought in a raft of legislation and taxes because it needs to reverse the increase in private renting.

Renters vote Labour, homeowners vote Tory. Some tenants also benefitting is a bonus.

Comment

The reason for discouraging private landlords is the social harm that is resulting from the PRS. I suspect most landlords are right wing and deregulationist, so natural Conservative voters, not the people that the government would want to lose.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
              The reason for discouraging private landlords is the social harm that is resulting from the PRS.
              There's some truth in that but a certain level of PRS homes is a good thing and very necessary. Rather than making renting worse, they should be making home ownership easier/better.

I suspect most landlords are right wing and deregulationist, so natural Conservative voters, not the people that the government would want to lose.
              I think they've worked out that they won't lose them, who else are they going to vote for?

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post

That would be fraud, unless you declared it as commercial waste and paid the tip's commercial waste rates.

You also need a lower tier waste carrier licence to do this, although that is free of charge. If you charge a tenant to remove their waste, and move it yourself, you will need a higher tier licence.

I'm sure it happens quite a lot, but my council has actually suggested that one of the main reason for mattresses being fly-tipped is because landlords cannot dispose of them free of charge.

This is not my council, but explains the general rules: https://www.durham.gov.uk/article/18...from-landlords
                So everytime, I take something from the tip from a rental property, it's commercial waste, but if my tenant took it, it would be domestic ? The world is madder than I naively thought.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Charging during vivid 19
                  by jpkeates
                  There's no such scheme.

Property investment is an investment business and the government won't support investments which, by nature, go up and down in value and deliver varying returns.
                  08-04-2020, 08:42 AM
                • Charging during vivid 19
                  by Liberty1237
                  Hello, I really don’t want to charge my student renters during this time as their university is closed for the next term and they are not occupying the property for the rest of the contract. I was wondering if anyone knew any government schemes during this time that I could claim loss of rent through...
                  07-04-2020, 17:19 PM
                • Not yet moved in - do we?
                  by bompey
                  I am writing this as someone who is a landlord and also has a student offspring at Uni so can see both sides of the fence as neither side wants to be out of pocket.

Son has signed up for a house for 2nd year of uni, as one of 6 in a house share. They are due to take it on from beginning...
                  31-03-2020, 11:43 AM
                • Reply to Not yet moved in - do we?
                  by buzzard1994
                  By September there may be antibody testing and the government will be very keen to reduce the economic cost. by getting as much as possible back to normal. So I'd expect university terms to begin either as normal or a few weeks later with a shortened freshers time. As an ex student parent I wouldnt...
                  01-04-2020, 16:35 PM
                • Student Property & Coronavirus
                  by boomboom
                  Hi guys

Hope that you are all well and in good health. Tough times ahead but I am sure we will get through it.

I have a question which I am sure will be a common theme going forward but it would be great to get people's views on.

I have a student property where...
                  24-03-2020, 08:59 AM
                • Reply to Student Property & Coronavirus
                  by buzzard1994
                  How reasonable landlords can afford to be depends on what their own commitments are.

At times like this people want their loved ones with them if possible - and young people can help their family by doing the shopping for them. I would have regarded by child as safer under my eye than...
                  01-04-2020, 16:25 PM
                  by jpucng62
                  You run the risk of losing the house if you don't complete the agreement with the prospect of having to find a house for 6 at short notice if term starts again as usual.

I believe the Govt will try its hardest to have schools and Unis back at the beginning of the new year and the LL will...
                  31-03-2020, 12:33 PM
                  by jpkeates
                  If the contract for the property is signed and complete, it's a done deal and not adhering to the terms would be a breach of that contract.

If there are movement restrictions which mean that moving in is impossible in July, it may be that the contract is frustrated, but you can't predict...
                  31-03-2020, 11:58 AM
                  by jpucng62
                  I own a student rental too. The students will be getting their normal loans & have signed contracts until the end of the year but most have gone home now and will not return.

My plan: as it is nearly the Easter holidays, let the rent run until the end of the holiday as normal. For the...
                  28-03-2020, 14:36 PM
                  by theartfullodger
                  From "The Times" of yesterday regarding "Unite Students" , biggest student landlord...etc etc etc etc...

On reflection I think their position is correct. I'm taking a flexible position. In reality nothing can realistically be done regarding unpaid rent for a few months....
                  27-03-2020, 12:32 PM
                Working...
                X