Taking payments 2-3 months in advance.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking payments 2-3 months in advance.

Normally tenants pay 1 month in advance, however for students who rely on student loans, i would like payment 3 months in advance. Has anyone successfully set this up on their tenancy?

This would almost certainly be construed as a deposit and therefore illegal under the Tenant Fees Act 2019, as it would exceed the maximum allowed deposit. The maximum deposit is 5 weeks' rent, but you seem to be proposing up to eight and a bit weeks rent, assuming monthly payments.

Comment

You can take a holding deposit of one weeks rent, although you will need a signed agreement with the tenant to change the date on which that is repaid or converted to rent/security deposit from the default 15 days.

Comment

You can take three month's rent in advance without it being a deposit.
        You just have to be clear about what's being paid.

I'm not sure it's a great idea to be treating students who rely on loans differently to other students.
        More practically, student loans are often late in arriving.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

What you can't do is take three month's rent and then take a month's each subsequent month. You must wait the full three months before taking any more rent. I would say any wording to get round that would be a sham.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• landlord refusing to hand over keys
            engelj
            My son has rented a house with 4 others at uni however one lad has left uni and is refusing to pay his share. The landlord has now told them that he will not hand over the keys until he receives this lads rent. Is this legal? Any advice please?
            15-07-2019, 18:39 PM
          • Reply to landlord refusing to hand over keys
            jpkeates
            If the five people are on a joint and several contract, which is how student lets are typically set up, the situation is:

There is (legally speaking) one tenant (who is everyone named as a tenant on the tenancy agreement) and one "rent", which the tenant is required to pay....
            16-07-2019, 15:08 PM
          • Reply to landlord refusing to hand over keys
            leaseholder64
            The remaining three will certainly have to cover the fourth person's rent, because this will have been a single, joint, tenancy, not four separate ones. However, I think there is a breach of contract on the landlord's side in not handing over the keys, unless the contract specifically states that the...
            15-07-2019, 19:15 PM
          • Mattress Disposal Charge
            SofiaN.M
            Hello Everyone,

My former landlord has just returned my deposit minus a £80 charge for disposing the mattress I have been using in the house since moving into the house in October 2016.

The mattress was still in a good usable condition (no marks or any tears) but he asked...
            11-07-2019, 09:09 AM
          • Reply to Mattress Disposal Charge
            Stef Cooke
            ?? Let me just check:

The mattress belongs to the landlord
            He is not claiming it is in any way damaged, stained or unusable
            He asked you to remove it
            He then charged you for its removal

That is ridiculous. It is his property, he cannot put the onus on you...
            11-07-2019, 16:13 PM
            jpkeates
            By not protecting the deposit, the landlord has also denied the tenant the ability to ask the deposit scheme to adjudicate on the disputed deduction.

If the mattress was the tenant's (otherwise why was it being thrown away if it was in decent condition) I'd suggest that the charge is actually...
            11-07-2019, 15:21 PM
            nukecad
            I notice no one has mentioned it yet, but you are aware that the penalty for non-protection of the deposit is up to 3x the amount of the deposit?

So you are not just talking about £80 here, you are talking up to 3x the full deposit.

If the LL is found to have deliberately...
            11-07-2019, 14:56 PM
            SofiaN.M
            Thank you leaseholder64

I will now go and weigh my options....
            11-07-2019, 11:51 AM
            leaseholder64
            If the mattress belongs to the landlord, disposal is their responsibility. I think it is common to change mattresses anyway, but there is a current TV advert advising doing this every 8 years, so any costs for damage to the mattress should be written off over those 8 years.

I think they...
            11-07-2019, 11:02 AM
            SofiaN.M
            Thank you Lawcruncher

That's very helpful....
            11-07-2019, 10:49 AM
          Working...
          X