Taking payments 2-3 months in advance.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking payments 2-3 months in advance.

Normally tenants pay 1 month in advance, however for students who rely on student loans, i would like payment 3 months in advance. Has anyone successfully set this up on their tenancy?

This would almost certainly be construed as a deposit and therefore illegal under the Tenant Fees Act 2019, as it would exceed the maximum allowed deposit. The maximum deposit is 5 weeks' rent, but you seem to be proposing up to eight and a bit weeks rent, assuming monthly payments.

Comment

You can take a holding deposit of one weeks rent, although you will need a signed agreement with the tenant to change the date on which that is repaid or converted to rent/security deposit from the default 15 days.

Comment

You can take three month's rent in advance without it being a deposit.
        You just have to be clear about what's being paid.

I'm not sure it's a great idea to be treating students who rely on loans differently to other students.
        More practically, student loans are often late in arriving.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

What you can't do is take three month's rent and then take a month's each subsequent month. You must wait the full three months before taking any more rent. I would say any wording to get round that would be a sham.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Payed rent can't move in to my room
            StudentRenter
            Hi, so I have payed this months rent and could of moved in on the 2nd September but I had work so I am moving in on the 28th, but got a message today say my room is still damp and the bed has been moved to the living room, also he does not know when I can move in to that bed room btw the girl before...
            28-09-2019, 00:19 AM
          • Reply to Payed rent can't move in to my room
            Snorkerz
            It was your 'fault' you didn't move in on 2nd Sept, so usually the answer would be - tough, you need to pay.

However, as the room is uninhabitable and you never started the tenancy (moved in) then imho your landlord can't charge you for something he has been unable to provide. You can...
            01-10-2019, 09:16 AM
            AlexR
            You have given a couple of clues as to what may be going on here but advice has to be limited because of lack of background information,

Firstly, as the landlord says the room is still damp then he must know that it was damp and have an idea what caused it. If he knows what has caused it...
            30-09-2019, 19:38 PM
            DPT57
            What outcome are you hoping for? Do you want to unwind the contract or just live elsewhere until the room is habitable? Either should be possible and as long as you pay rent, the landlord would be obliged to pay your reasonable costs to live elsewhere in the meantime....
            28-09-2019, 16:22 PM
          • Non paying tenant & court
            Doris66
            I signed a joint tenancy agreement with 3 other students. 1 of them dropped out after paying the 1st months rent. The contract was joint & severally liable. After a few months of us trying to find a replacement, with no chance! The letting agents called us for a meeting as to how we could pay...
            23-09-2019, 18:20 PM
          • Reply to Non paying tenant & court
            jpkeates
            The arrangement between the tenants is nothing to do with the tenancy agreement or the document.
            It's to do with the agreement that they must have made to somehow share the costs, for which the tenancy agreement is simply evidence.

What the split was and how it was agreed will be...
            25-09-2019, 07:50 AM
            theartfullodger
            Clearly morally that's correct.

But, please, where in any document has the drop-out agreed to any particular proportion of the rent?

Surely the whole point of joint & several tenancies is that each tenant is sue-able for the whole lot? And if the split is defined in AST...
            24-09-2019, 15:44 PM
          • Move in date moved on morning of move.
            J Dut
            My son had a call this morning telling him he couldn’t move in to his student let this afternoon because they haven’t completed the checkout after the previous tenant. He was told this would be done a week ago.

He is already in the area and we were on our way with his belongings when...
            21-09-2019, 12:25 PM
          • Reply to Move in date moved on morning of move.
            AndrewDod
            Do let us know the outcome here.
            24-09-2019, 10:53 AM
            jpkeates
            You have every right to sue the missing tenant.
            All three of you would have to take the action (which could be done using the small claims court).

The tenant agreed to share the cost of the property with you and then reneged on the deal.
            You should sue them for a quarter (or...
            24-09-2019, 08:13 AM
          Working...
          X