Do I have the right to have the contact number of Building management?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I have the right to have the contact number of Building management?

I am currently renting from a private landlord and have been currently locked out 3 times of my house because of the front entrance.

The first time I was locked out was because the front entrance door (not my apartment door) had an electronic lock which was running on battery power??? I had returned home at midnight and could not use the touchscreen to put in the code because the electronic lock ran out of power. I had nowhere to go and was locked out from midnight.

The second time was exactly the same as the first and I had complained to them thus they had changed the new lock to a mechanical one where you punch in the numbers.

The Third and most recent was today where a new code was put in place. Whilst I was at university, the management
    had slipped in a piece of paper under my front apartment door (not the front entrance) with a new code written on it, what good does that do when I am away from the building? What the actual ****? I mean At least email or text us the bloody code as I do check my emails quite often. I complained and said that any changes to the buildings I would be contacted by email

But I am worried that this might happen again (say if the front door is broken or someone had locked the door inside out) Or if a fire breaks out in the middle of the night ? (of course 999), Emailing is fucking useless at the middle of the night.

Should as a tenant, I be allowed to have the building managements contact number?

(Apologies for the language, I am very stressed at this time of the moment)

Howard

Contractually you should go through your landlord, but I would hope that most managing agents would be prepared to talk directly to sub-tenants, as long as they weren't asking for something expensive to be done without being paid for it.

Comment

Does the management company have an out of hours contact number anyway?

Comment

How is student letting relevant to the question? You may be getting little response because you are asking on a niche forum when the question is not relevant to the niche.

Comment

Tell your landlord you will be phoning them every time you are locked out no matter what time of the day or night and I suspect you'll be given any number there may be for the management company. If there is not a night time number you might suggest in future you call a locksmith to let you in and bill your landlord, who can claim from the management company.

But is there really no-one else in the building you can phone to let you in?

If there is a fire in the night the lock should let you out, it's the fire brigade getting in that could be an issue - but they'd smash their way in if necessary.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• landlord refusing to hand over keys
            engelj
            My son has rented a house with 4 others at uni however one lad has left uni and is refusing to pay his share. The landlord has now told them that he will not hand over the keys until he receives this lads rent. Is this legal? Any advice please?
            15-07-2019, 18:39 PM
          • Reply to landlord refusing to hand over keys
            jpkeates
            If the five people are on a joint and several contract, which is how student lets are typically set up, the situation is:

There is (legally speaking) one tenant (who is everyone named as a tenant on the tenancy agreement) and one "rent", which the tenant is required to pay....
            16-07-2019, 15:08 PM
          • Reply to landlord refusing to hand over keys
            leaseholder64
            The remaining three will certainly have to cover the fourth person's rent, because this will have been a single, joint, tenancy, not four separate ones. However, I think there is a breach of contract on the landlord's side in not handing over the keys, unless the contract specifically states that the...
            15-07-2019, 19:15 PM
          • Mattress Disposal Charge
            SofiaN.M
            Hello Everyone,

My former landlord has just returned my deposit minus a £80 charge for disposing the mattress I have been using in the house since moving into the house in October 2016.

The mattress was still in a good usable condition (no marks or any tears) but he asked...
            11-07-2019, 09:09 AM
          • Reply to Mattress Disposal Charge
            Stef Cooke
            ?? Let me just check:

The mattress belongs to the landlord
            He is not claiming it is in any way damaged, stained or unusable
            He asked you to remove it
            He then charged you for its removal

That is ridiculous. It is his property, he cannot put the onus on you...
            11-07-2019, 16:13 PM
            jpkeates
            By not protecting the deposit, the landlord has also denied the tenant the ability to ask the deposit scheme to adjudicate on the disputed deduction.

If the mattress was the tenant's (otherwise why was it being thrown away if it was in decent condition) I'd suggest that the charge is actually...
            11-07-2019, 15:21 PM
            nukecad
            I notice no one has mentioned it yet, but you are aware that the penalty for non-protection of the deposit is up to 3x the amount of the deposit?

So you are not just talking about £80 here, you are talking up to 3x the full deposit.

If the LL is found to have deliberately...
            11-07-2019, 14:56 PM
            SofiaN.M
            Thank you leaseholder64

I will now go and weigh my options....
            11-07-2019, 11:51 AM
            leaseholder64
            If the mattress belongs to the landlord, disposal is their responsibility. I think it is common to change mattresses anyway, but there is a current TV advert advising doing this every 8 years, so any costs for damage to the mattress should be written off over those 8 years.

I think they...
            11-07-2019, 11:02 AM
            SofiaN.M
            Thank you Lawcruncher

That's very helpful....
            11-07-2019, 10:49 AM
          Working...
          X