X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cupcakevelvet
    started a topic Banning fan heaters?

Banning fan heaters?

Hello today I had a room inspection and he tells me that my fan heater is banned as it could tip over so it is dangerous... and to go buy an oil based one. He told me to pack it away and not use it.

I can not afford to buy a heater and the fan heater I have was given to me for free. The heater in the room is an absolute waste of time and doesn’t heat up for long periods, it will turn off and then I can not switch it on again. I believe he has said this because fan heaters are more expensive? I never leave it on when I’m in the room or if I’m going to sleep, only when I’m absolutely freezing and for a short time.

i have read the terms and conditions and nowhere does it say the fan heater is banned. It does however say that electrical equipment should meet safety requirements by the act of parilament

What are my rights? Are they allowed to verbally tell me that my fan heater is banned? (He also made a note of it)

• Logical.Lean
    replied
    Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
    Interestingly, currently filling in details for landlord insurance with Hamilton Fraser Total Landlord (Add on this site) and I have to confirm their assumptions that "
    None of the properties contain portable gas or electric fan heaters"
    I'm not sure how a landlord can confirm this.

he can confirm that the contract says no portable heaters.
    he can confirm that during inspections and visits, that he will check the tenant has not brought any into the house.
    but he can't confirm that the tenant has ignored the contract.

That said, I added to my contract, a no candles clause. Biggest cause of house fires after faulty electrics and chip pans ? Probably.

Leave a comment:

• Hollywood
    replied
    Interestingly, currently filling in details for landlord insurance with Hamilton Fraser Total Landlord (Add on this site) and I have to confirm their assumptions that "
    None of the properties contain portable gas or electric fan heaters"

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    Is the electricity included in your rent, or do you pay it on a meter/directly to the energy provider?

Leave a comment:

• nukecad
    replied
    Most modern fan (and infra red) heaters have a spring safety switch built into the base so that if it's possible for it to tip over, or if you lift them up, they cut out.
    The exception being flat, squat, ones that are stable by design so can't tip over.

If your 'freebie' is an old one (or a cheap import) it may not have that safety switch and so be unsafe by modern standards.

A bigger concern, especially in HMO's, is people trying to dry clothes too close to fan or infra-red heaters, the clothes can catch fire.
    That's they usual reason why they are not allowed by some landlords.

While it's not ideal to dry clothes with an oil filled heater (condensation for one thing) it's less of a fire risk.

If the cost of electricity is included in your rent then that may be his real objection, but as buzzard points out an electric oil filled heater can use the same as a fan heater.

PS. It sounds like your room heater has a broken thermostat. - Which is why it turns off and you can't turn it back on (until it cools down again).
    You could ask the LL to get it fixed, always bearing in mind that he may have 'broken' it deliberately in the first place, to keep his heating costs down.
    (We ocassionally see LLs on here who admit they have set the thermostat very low, even to just frost protection, and locked it in place).

Leave a comment:

• buzzard1994
    replied
    Fan heaters are no more or less expensive than an oil filled radiator of similar KW rating. They can also tip over if not fixed to a wall.

Can you prove it is electrically safe? What does your lease say - if this is a university owned room it's common to ban things that have not been safety tested (often, not always, at your expense.

Any landlord can give notice to evict you without needing to give a reason.

Leave a comment:

• jpkeates
    replied
    Ask "him" on what basis he thinks he can ban things.]
    Fan heaters aren't any more likely to fall over than other things, and I can't imagine it would do much damage if it did.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Payed rent can't move in to my room
    StudentRenter
    Hi, so I have payed this months rent and could of moved in on the 2nd September but I had work so I am moving in on the 28th, but got a message today say my room is still damp and the bed has been moved to the living room, also he does not know when I can move in to that bed room btw the girl before...
    28-09-2019, 00:19 AM
  • Reply to Payed rent can't move in to my room
    Snorkerz
    It was your 'fault' you didn't move in on 2nd Sept, so usually the answer would be - tough, you need to pay.

However, as the room is uninhabitable and you never started the tenancy (moved in) then imho your landlord can't charge you for something he has been unable to provide. You can...
    01-10-2019, 09:16 AM
    AlexR
    You have given a couple of clues as to what may be going on here but advice has to be limited because of lack of background information,

Firstly, as the landlord says the room is still damp then he must know that it was damp and have an idea what caused it. If he knows what has caused it...
    30-09-2019, 19:38 PM
    DPT57
    What outcome are you hoping for? Do you want to unwind the contract or just live elsewhere until the room is habitable? Either should be possible and as long as you pay rent, the landlord would be obliged to pay your reasonable costs to live elsewhere in the meantime....
    28-09-2019, 16:22 PM
  • Non paying tenant & court
    Doris66
    I signed a joint tenancy agreement with 3 other students. 1 of them dropped out after paying the 1st months rent. The contract was joint & severally liable. After a few months of us trying to find a replacement, with no chance! The letting agents called us for a meeting as to how we could pay...
    23-09-2019, 18:20 PM
  • Reply to Non paying tenant & court
    jpkeates
    The arrangement between the tenants is nothing to do with the tenancy agreement or the document.
    It's to do with the agreement that they must have made to somehow share the costs, for which the tenancy agreement is simply evidence.

What the split was and how it was agreed will be...
    25-09-2019, 07:50 AM
    theartfullodger
    Clearly morally that's correct.

But, please, where in any document has the drop-out agreed to any particular proportion of the rent?

Surely the whole point of joint & several tenancies is that each tenant is sue-able for the whole lot? And if the split is defined in AST...
    24-09-2019, 15:44 PM
  • Move in date moved on morning of move.
    J Dut
    My son had a call this morning telling him he couldn’t move in to his student let this afternoon because they haven’t completed the checkout after the previous tenant. He was told this would be done a week ago.

He is already in the area and we were on our way with his belongings when...
    21-09-2019, 12:25 PM
  • Reply to Move in date moved on morning of move.
    AndrewDod
    Do let us know the outcome here.
    24-09-2019, 10:53 AM
    jpkeates
    You have every right to sue the missing tenant.
    All three of you would have to take the action (which could be done using the small claims court).

The tenant agreed to share the cost of the property with you and then reneged on the deal.
    You should sue them for a quarter (or...
    24-09-2019, 08:13 AM
Working...
X