• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollywood
    started a topic Student letting fees ban

Student letting fees ban

Hi all,
    My son is in first year at Uni and has just found a student house for 2nd year, sharing with five others. how will the tenant fees ban affect him. He has already paid a holding deposit for house. he will get the house from 9th Sep, so after date of ban.

Hollywoos

• galaxy123
    replied
    Now has Royal Assent. My view is that contracts signed before 1st June will not be covered, but I’m happy to be corrected (as I’m in precisely the same position)!!

Leave a comment:

• KTC
    replied
    Ask again in a month or two when the bill have received Royal Assent, and a commencement order have been laid down.

Leave a comment:

• mind the gap
    replied
    It's my understanding that the fees apply to contracts agreed and signed before the date of the ban, regardless of when the tenancy itself begins.

However, a holding deposit is not a fee as such unless it is non-returnable. It's normally offset against the tenancy deposit once the tenants commit by signing the contract. By 'agent's fees' I think what is meant is the silly amounts which agents tend to charge students for 'finding them a house', typically £150-200 per student. Half the time the agents don't even accompany the prospective tenants on viewings - in busy periods they just send them to the address in the hope the current Ts will show them round. It's basically a very expensive introduction service. The fees also cover printing out a standard contract and asking their Parent Guarantors lots of nosey questions via a credit search (for which parents are usually charged extra).

Another nice little earner is telling Ts that they must sign a new contract to renew a tenancy, when most of the time, they could just let it become periodic at no cost,.

Needless to say, agents aren't charities, so as soon as they are not allowed to charge Ts for 'admin' , they will charge the LL instead. Private LLs aren't charities either, so they will no doubt recoup the extra charge by shoving the rent up. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Taking payments 2-3 months in advance.
    max635
    Normally tenants pay 1 month in advance, however for students who rely on student loans, i would like payment 3 months in advance. Has anyone successfully set this up on their tenancy?...
    13-06-2019, 15:04 PM
  • Reply to Taking payments 2-3 months in advance.
    DPT57
    You can take a holding deposit of one weeks rent, although you will need a signed agreement with the tenant to change the date on which that is repaid or converted to rent/security deposit from the default 15 days....
    15-06-2019, 08:10 AM
  • Reply to Taking payments 2-3 months in advance.
    leaseholder64
    This would almost certainly be construed as a deposit and therefore illegal under the Tenant Fees Act 2019, as it would exceed the maximum allowed deposit. The maximum deposit is 5 weeks' rent, but you seem to be proposing up to eight and a bit weeks rent, assuming monthly payments.
    13-06-2019, 15:10 PM
  • Banning fan heaters?
    Cupcakevelvet
    Hello today I had a room inspection and he tells me that my fan heater is banned as it could tip over so it is dangerous... and to go buy an oil based one. He told me to pack it away and not use it.

I can not afford to buy a heater and the fan heater I have was given to me for free. The...
    27-03-2019, 17:14 PM
  • Reply to Banning fan heaters?
    Hollywood
    Interestingly, currently filling in details for landlord insurance with Hamilton Fraser Total Landlord (Add on this site) and I have to confirm their assumptions that "
    None of the properties contain portable gas or electric fan heaters"
    31-05-2019, 13:17 PM
  • Reply to Banning fan heaters?
    mind the gap
    Is the electricity included in your rent, or do you pay it on a meter/directly to the energy provider?...
    26-05-2019, 17:27 PM
  • Student houses and the abolition of section 21
    JamesHopeful
    It occurs to me that the abolition of section 21 could cause major problems for student landlords.

I had assumed that student houses would definitely be exempt, but I have looked up how it now works in Scotland as a precedent and it transpires only purpose-built student accommodation is...
    15-04-2019, 16:05 PM
  • Reply to Student houses and the abolition of section 21
    mind the gap
    I honestly don't think student tenancies will be affected, in practice. Students almost always move out, because if they don't, they (or their parents) will be jointly liable to continue paying the whole rent. We've only ever had one student who threatened not to move out (his five housemates had gone...
    26-05-2019, 17:21 PM
    JamesHopeful
    Thank you for the reply. I get what you are saying about s.8 ground 1, but I find it hard to see how the fixed term of a tenancy agreement in a post-s.21 world could constitute anything other than a minimum term (which might be of use to landlords as a way of ensuring that tenants don't try to use properties...
    22-04-2019, 13:27 PM
    jpkeates
    Thank you, that's extremely interesting and enlightening.

I'm not entirely sure that ending s21 evictions moves us to the Scottish model entirely, that might happen, but it's not inevitable.
    s8 ground 1 still requires notice outside the fixed term, and I'd imagine the proposed notice...
    22-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Working...
X