Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Student letting fees ban

Hi all,
    My son is in first year at Uni and has just found a student house for 2nd year, sharing with five others. how will the tenant fees ban affect him. He has already paid a holding deposit for house. he will get the house from 9th Sep, so after date of ban.

Hollywoos

It's my understanding that the fees apply to contracts agreed and signed before the date of the ban, regardless of when the tenancy itself begins.

However, a holding deposit is not a fee as such unless it is non-returnable. It's normally offset against the tenancy deposit once the tenants commit by signing the contract. By 'agent's fees' I think what is meant is the silly amounts which agents tend to charge students for 'finding them a house', typically £150-200 per student. Half the time the agents don't even accompany the prospective tenants on viewings - in busy periods they just send them to the address in the hope the current Ts will show them round. It's basically a very expensive introduction service. The fees also cover printing out a standard contract and asking their Parent Guarantors lots of nosey questions via a credit search (for which parents are usually charged extra).

Another nice little earner is telling Ts that they must sign a new contract to renew a tenancy, when most of the time, they could just let it become periodic at no cost,.

Needless to say, agents aren't charities, so as soon as they are not allowed to charge Ts for 'admin' , they will charge the LL instead. Private LLs aren't charities either, so they will no doubt recoup the extra charge by shoving the rent up. There's no such thing as a free lunch.

'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Ask again in a month or two when the bill have received Royal Assent, and a commencement order have been laid down.
      I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

I do not answer questions through private messages which should be posted publicly on the forum.

Comment

Now has Royal Assent. My view is that contracts signed before 1st June will not be covered, but I’m happy to be corrected (as I’m in precisely the same position)!!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Charging during vivid 19
          by Liberty1237
          Hello, I really don’t want to charge my student renters during this time as their university is closed for the next term and they are not occupying the property for the rest of the contract. I was wondering if anyone knew any government schemes during this time that I could claim loss of rent through...
          07-04-2020, 17:19 PM
        • Reply to Charging during vivid 19
          by jpkeates
          There's no such scheme.

Property investment is an investment business and the government won't support investments which, by nature, go up and down in value and deliver varying returns.
          08-04-2020, 08:42 AM
        • Reply to Not yet moved in - do we?
          by buzzard1994
          By September there may be antibody testing and the government will be very keen to reduce the economic cost. by getting as much as possible back to normal. So I'd expect university terms to begin either as normal or a few weeks later with a shortened freshers time. As an ex student parent I wouldnt...
          01-04-2020, 16:35 PM
        • Not yet moved in - do we?
          by bompey
          I am writing this as someone who is a landlord and also has a student offspring at Uni so can see both sides of the fence as neither side wants to be out of pocket.

Son has signed up for a house for 2nd year of uni, as one of 6 in a house share. They are due to take it on from beginning...
          31-03-2020, 11:43 AM
        • Student Property & Coronavirus
          by boomboom
          Hi guys

Hope that you are all well and in good health. Tough times ahead but I am sure we will get through it.

I have a question which I am sure will be a common theme going forward but it would be great to get people's views on.

I have a student property where...
          24-03-2020, 08:59 AM
        • Reply to Student Property & Coronavirus
          by buzzard1994
          How reasonable landlords can afford to be depends on what their own commitments are.

At times like this people want their loved ones with them if possible - and young people can help their family by doing the shopping for them. I would have regarded by child as safer under my eye than...
          01-04-2020, 16:25 PM
          by jpucng62
          You run the risk of losing the house if you don't complete the agreement with the prospect of having to find a house for 6 at short notice if term starts again as usual.

I believe the Govt will try its hardest to have schools and Unis back at the beginning of the new year and the LL will...
          31-03-2020, 12:33 PM
          by jpkeates
          If the contract for the property is signed and complete, it's a done deal and not adhering to the terms would be a breach of that contract.

If there are movement restrictions which mean that moving in is impossible in July, it may be that the contract is frustrated, but you can't predict...
          31-03-2020, 11:58 AM
          by jpucng62
          I own a student rental too. The students will be getting their normal loans & have signed contracts until the end of the year but most have gone home now and will not return.

My plan: as it is nearly the Easter holidays, let the rent run until the end of the holiday as normal. For the...
          28-03-2020, 14:36 PM
          by theartfullodger
          From "The Times" of yesterday regarding "Unite Students" , biggest student landlord...etc etc etc etc...

On reflection I think their position is correct. I'm taking a flexible position. In reality nothing can realistically be done regarding unpaid rent for a few months....
          27-03-2020, 12:32 PM
        Working...
        X