burglary damage costs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

burglary damage costs

During the Christmas break, my student tenants have been burglarized while they were away. There is no sign of forced entry into the property, so it seems that one of the tenants had left a window open through which the burglars have entered the house.

I believe that absence of forced entry is stated on the police report, although I have not seen it (I am abroad at the moment). The students themselves suggested to me that a window had probably been left open.

Several internal doors have been kicked in and damaged. These are fire doors and need to be repaired or replaced.

Who is responsible for these repairs?

This damage is not covered by any insurance, so it will have to be either me (landlord) or them (tenants) - or both in some proportion.

The Tenancy Agreement explicitly states that the tenants have to properly secure all locks and bolts to the doors, windows and other openings when leaving the property unattended.

I have a good relationship with the tenants and want to be reasonable, but this is probably a significant expense and I would like to know where we all stand on this from a legal point of view.

You are responsible for the repairs.
    The issue is who pays for them.

The damage occurred while the tenants were in control of the property and is their liabiity (adjusted, though, see below).

Don't go down the path of who left a window open or who is "responsible" for the break in - it's academic.
    The tenants were in control of the property and they have to compensate you for the loss as a consequence - just the same as if someone threw a brick through the window - it's not about blame it's about liability.

You have to adjust your claim to ensure you don't benefit unfairly (as you'll be getting a benefit from the doors long after the tenants have gone).
    The simplest way is to take the cost of the damaged doors and estimate how much use of them you've lost.
    So if the doors were fitted 12 years ago, and you'd expect them to last (say) 20 years, your claim is for 8/12ths the cost of the doors (i.e. what you've lost).
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Thanks for your reply, jpkeats.

I tend to agree with your view, but reading around there seems to be consensus that burglary damages are to be treated similarly to a natural event (say flooding) and as such the costs should be covered by the landlord rather than the tenants.

If one accepts this view, the fact that the tenants left a window open (in breach of contract conditions) could tilt things toward negligence and therefore shift the financial burden in their direction.

Comment

The burglary was not a natural event as it was precipitated by the tenants leaving the window open. In any case, there has been no break-in so as far as you are concerned, the property has damage caused by the negligence of the tenants. You are not really interested in whether it was a burglar or an end of term party that got out of control, (which is possible by the way).

Comment

Why no insurance?

It's your responsibility to ensure that internal doors meet fire regulations, and your responsibility to repair them. You can argue about whether you can recover the cost from the tenants when it comes to returning their deposit.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• To be a guarantor
            Hollywood
            Hi All, I had some good news this afternoon,( I think). My son text me from Uni, (he is in his 1st year.) to say that he and 5 others have found and applied for a six bedroom house for next year. He said the agent will probably be in touch as I'm down as Guarantor.
            I've had guarantors for flats...
            26-11-2018, 16:07 PM
          • Reply to To be a guarantor
            buzzard1994
            As the parent of a student you are held to ransom and have very little choice. However the courts have been rather reluctant to enforce guarantor agreements and IME they are often done so badly that it would be difficult to get a court to enforce them.

We have been fortunate in that our...
            14-02-2019, 08:26 AM
          • Student letting fees ban
            Hollywood
            Hi all,
            My son is in first year at Uni and has just found a student house for 2nd year, sharing with five others. how will the tenant fees ban affect him. He has already paid a holding deposit for house. he will get the house from 9th Sep, so after date of ban.

Hollywoos
            24-01-2019, 11:42 AM
          • Reply to Student letting fees ban
            KTC
            Ask again in a month or two when the bill have received Royal Assent, and a commencement order have been laid down.
            01-02-2019, 12:28 PM
          • Reply to Student letting fees ban
            mind the gap
            It's my understanding that the fees apply to contracts agreed and signed before the date of the ban, regardless of when the tenancy itself begins.

However, a holding deposit is not a fee as such unless it is non-returnable. It's normally offset against the tenancy deposit once the tenants...
            31-01-2019, 21:27 PM
            mind the gap
            Wot Lawcruncher said, above. I have been using his form of guarantee for nearly ten years now and it is excellent.

I would however add that in student joint tenancies at least, damages are nearly always claimed, in the first instance, by the joint tenancy deposit, usually the equivalent...
            11-01-2019, 20:17 PM
            Lawcruncher
            The form of guarantee set out above sets out to deal with the problem by saying that in the event of damage for which the tenants are reponsible the guarantor is ony liable to cover to the extent that the particular tenant he is guaranteeing is reponsible. It also confirms that the joint and several...
            11-01-2019, 10:01 AM
            alice123
            I am in the process of suing a particular guarantor for rental arrears, damage, cleaning of rubbish, and also certain legal costs the total amount is over 6,000 as well as tracing fees. The agent specifically drew up the AST making the guarantor responsible for legal costs. arrears and a host of other...
            11-01-2019, 00:09 AM
            leaseholder64
            I'm not thinking of rent, where the liability is obvious; I'm thinking of damage. In criminal law, joint enterprise is used when everyone is somewhat culpable, but only one person did the really heinous thing. Without it, they could all cast reasonable doubt as to the primary offender, making a beyond...
            10-01-2019, 23:18 PM
            mind the gap
            I think you are making it more complicated than it is.

Each individual's liability is the appropriate fraction of the whole.

In the first instance, as tenants, they are jointly liable. But it is a rare student joint tenancy where the rent is paid jointly. In a six bedroom...
            10-01-2019, 18:18 PM
          Working...
          X