X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rano10
    started a topic Deposit

Deposit

My son is at University and is in shared private student accommodation. They signed for the tenancy a year ago with a view to moving in last August. At the time of signing each of the 5 had to pay a £500 deposit and a £90 admin fee. They moved in last July .They are currently in the house and are now signing up to keep the tenancy for a further year . They have been told to pay a second admin fee of £90 each and a second £500 deposit each ... I cannot understand this as the company still have their initial £500 deposit . Any advice gratefully received

• DPT57
    replied
    Is it possible that your Son has just been sent the Agency's standard template letter asking for fee and deposit and that in this case the deposit doesn't apply?

Leave a comment:

• leaseholder64
    replied
    Did your son receive details of how the £500 would be protected, during July or August?

The arrangement sounds fishy, but it is possible that the landlord thinks a £1,000 deposit is now necessary.

Legislation expected to come into force next year will outlaw the £90 fee.

Landlords on this forum would normally be advised to let the tenancy become an SPT, as a new tenancy rarely benefits the landlord. It gives the agent more fees and gives the tenant more security.

If the deposit is in an insurance based scheme, it would need to be re-protected and new paperwork given to the tenant, but no money would flow between landlord and tenant. Generally insurance based schemes are the only ones where the landlord gets any benefit from the money during the tenancy.

With student lets, if the exact set of tenants has changed, landlords are advised to start a completely new tenancy, in which case the deposit would need to be returned and claims for damage crystallised.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Taking payments 2-3 months in advance.
    max635
    Normally tenants pay 1 month in advance, however for students who rely on student loans, i would like payment 3 months in advance. Has anyone successfully set this up on their tenancy?...
    13-06-2019, 15:04 PM
  • Reply to Taking payments 2-3 months in advance.
    DPT57
    You can take a holding deposit of one weeks rent, although you will need a signed agreement with the tenant to change the date on which that is repaid or converted to rent/security deposit from the default 15 days....
    15-06-2019, 08:10 AM
  • Reply to Taking payments 2-3 months in advance.
    leaseholder64
    This would almost certainly be construed as a deposit and therefore illegal under the Tenant Fees Act 2019, as it would exceed the maximum allowed deposit. The maximum deposit is 5 weeks' rent, but you seem to be proposing up to eight and a bit weeks rent, assuming monthly payments.
    13-06-2019, 15:10 PM
  • Banning fan heaters?
    Cupcakevelvet
    Hello today I had a room inspection and he tells me that my fan heater is banned as it could tip over so it is dangerous... and to go buy an oil based one. He told me to pack it away and not use it.

I can not afford to buy a heater and the fan heater I have was given to me for free. The...
    27-03-2019, 17:14 PM
  • Reply to Banning fan heaters?
    Hollywood
    Interestingly, currently filling in details for landlord insurance with Hamilton Fraser Total Landlord (Add on this site) and I have to confirm their assumptions that "
    None of the properties contain portable gas or electric fan heaters"
    31-05-2019, 13:17 PM
  • Reply to Banning fan heaters?
    mind the gap
    Is the electricity included in your rent, or do you pay it on a meter/directly to the energy provider?...
    26-05-2019, 17:27 PM
  • Student houses and the abolition of section 21
    JamesHopeful
    It occurs to me that the abolition of section 21 could cause major problems for student landlords.

I had assumed that student houses would definitely be exempt, but I have looked up how it now works in Scotland as a precedent and it transpires only purpose-built student accommodation is...
    15-04-2019, 16:05 PM
  • Reply to Student houses and the abolition of section 21
    mind the gap
    I honestly don't think student tenancies will be affected, in practice. Students almost always move out, because if they don't, they (or their parents) will be jointly liable to continue paying the whole rent. We've only ever had one student who threatened not to move out (his five housemates had gone...
    26-05-2019, 17:21 PM
    JamesHopeful
    Thank you for the reply. I get what you are saying about s.8 ground 1, but I find it hard to see how the fixed term of a tenancy agreement in a post-s.21 world could constitute anything other than a minimum term (which might be of use to landlords as a way of ensuring that tenants don't try to use properties...
    22-04-2019, 13:27 PM
    jpkeates
    Thank you, that's extremely interesting and enlightening.

I'm not entirely sure that ending s21 evictions moves us to the Scottish model entirely, that might happen, but it's not inevitable.
    s8 ground 1 still requires notice outside the fixed term, and I'd imagine the proposed notice...
    22-04-2019, 11:44 AM
Working...
X