To be a guarantor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wot Lawcruncher said, above. I have been using his form of guarantee for nearly ten years now and it is excellent.

I would however add that in student joint tenancies at least, damages are nearly always claimed, in the first instance, by the joint tenancy deposit, usually the equivalent of a months rent per joint tenant. You may have to enter into dispute with them via the deposit protection scheme, but if you have appropriate evidence you can get it back.

Only when the damage exceeds the deposit value, and the Ts lack the means to pay, might you need to start chasing Gs, and then it;s the same principle as explained above.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

As the parent of a student you are held to ransom and have very little choice. However the courts have been rather reluctant to enforce guarantor agreements and IME they are often done so badly that it would be difficult to get a court to enforce them.

We have been fortunate in that our child had decent landlords but students are seen as easy pickings by some landlords who claim for thinking like cleaning a place that wasnt clean when they moved in and pre-existing damage.. Usual advice applies - tenants should photograph everything when they move in, document the ways in which the inventory departs from the truth - and be trained that it doesnt matter whose fault it is they will be paying for any damage so they need to keep their flatmates under control.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• landlord refusing to hand over keys
        engelj
        My son has rented a house with 4 others at uni however one lad has left uni and is refusing to pay his share. The landlord has now told them that he will not hand over the keys until he receives this lads rent. Is this legal? Any advice please?
        15-07-2019, 18:39 PM
      • Reply to landlord refusing to hand over keys
        jpkeates
        If the five people are on a joint and several contract, which is how student lets are typically set up, the situation is:

There is (legally speaking) one tenant (who is everyone named as a tenant on the tenancy agreement) and one "rent", which the tenant is required to pay....
        16-07-2019, 15:08 PM
      • Reply to landlord refusing to hand over keys
        leaseholder64
        The remaining three will certainly have to cover the fourth person's rent, because this will have been a single, joint, tenancy, not four separate ones. However, I think there is a breach of contract on the landlord's side in not handing over the keys, unless the contract specifically states that the...
        15-07-2019, 19:15 PM
      • Mattress Disposal Charge
        SofiaN.M
        Hello Everyone,

My former landlord has just returned my deposit minus a £80 charge for disposing the mattress I have been using in the house since moving into the house in October 2016.

The mattress was still in a good usable condition (no marks or any tears) but he asked...
        11-07-2019, 09:09 AM
      • Reply to Mattress Disposal Charge
        Stef Cooke
        ?? Let me just check:

The mattress belongs to the landlord
        He is not claiming it is in any way damaged, stained or unusable
        He asked you to remove it
        He then charged you for its removal

That is ridiculous. It is his property, he cannot put the onus on you...
        11-07-2019, 16:13 PM
        jpkeates
        By not protecting the deposit, the landlord has also denied the tenant the ability to ask the deposit scheme to adjudicate on the disputed deduction.

If the mattress was the tenant's (otherwise why was it being thrown away if it was in decent condition) I'd suggest that the charge is actually...
        11-07-2019, 15:21 PM
        nukecad
        I notice no one has mentioned it yet, but you are aware that the penalty for non-protection of the deposit is up to 3x the amount of the deposit?

So you are not just talking about £80 here, you are talking up to 3x the full deposit.

If the LL is found to have deliberately...
        11-07-2019, 14:56 PM
        SofiaN.M
        Thank you leaseholder64

I will now go and weigh my options....
        11-07-2019, 11:51 AM
        leaseholder64
        If the mattress belongs to the landlord, disposal is their responsibility. I think it is common to change mattresses anyway, but there is a current TV advert advising doing this every 8 years, so any costs for damage to the mattress should be written off over those 8 years.

I think they...
        11-07-2019, 11:02 AM
        SofiaN.M
        Thank you Lawcruncher

That's very helpful....
        11-07-2019, 10:49 AM
      Working...
      X