To be a guarantor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wot Lawcruncher said, above. I have been using his form of guarantee for nearly ten years now and it is excellent.

I would however add that in student joint tenancies at least, damages are nearly always claimed, in the first instance, by the joint tenancy deposit, usually the equivalent of a months rent per joint tenant. You may have to enter into dispute with them via the deposit protection scheme, but if you have appropriate evidence you can get it back.

Only when the damage exceeds the deposit value, and the Ts lack the means to pay, might you need to start chasing Gs, and then it;s the same principle as explained above.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• To be a guarantor
      Hollywood
      Hi All, I had some good news this afternoon,( I think). My son text me from Uni, (he is in his 1st year.) to say that he and 5 others have found and applied for a six bedroom house for next year. He said the agent will probably be in touch as I'm down as Guarantor.
      I've had guarantors for flats...
      26-11-2018, 16:07 PM
    • Reply to To be a guarantor
      mind the gap
      Wot Lawcruncher said, above. I have been using his form of guarantee for nearly ten years now and it is excellent.

I would however add that in student joint tenancies at least, damages are nearly always claimed, in the first instance, by the joint tenancy deposit, usually the equivalent...
      11-01-2019, 20:17 PM
      Lawcruncher
      The form of guarantee set out above sets out to deal with the problem by saying that in the event of damage for which the tenants are reponsible the guarantor is ony liable to cover to the extent that the particular tenant he is guaranteeing is reponsible. It also confirms that the joint and several...
      11-01-2019, 10:01 AM
      alice123
      I am in the process of suing a particular guarantor for rental arrears, damage, cleaning of rubbish, and also certain legal costs the total amount is over 6,000 as well as tracing fees. The agent specifically drew up the AST making the guarantor responsible for legal costs. arrears and a host of other...
      11-01-2019, 00:09 AM
      leaseholder64
      I'm not thinking of rent, where the liability is obvious; I'm thinking of damage. In criminal law, joint enterprise is used when everyone is somewhat culpable, but only one person did the really heinous thing. Without it, they could all cast reasonable doubt as to the primary offender, making a beyond...
      10-01-2019, 23:18 PM
      mind the gap
      I think you are making it more complicated than it is.

Each individual's liability is the appropriate fraction of the whole.

In the first instance, as tenants, they are jointly liable. But it is a rare student joint tenancy where the rent is paid jointly. In a six bedroom...
      10-01-2019, 18:18 PM
    • How to surrender tenancy without filling my room
      johnane
      I'm currently in an uncomfortable situation, in which I feel bullied and harrassed by one of my housemates in particular. There have been two recent episodes in which she has verbally and over social media been particularly aggressive, hostile and unkind. I find rubbish in my belongings and outside...
      07-11-2018, 13:11 PM
    • Reply to How to surrender tenancy without filling my room
      katinthemill
      Our tenants sign on a joint tenancy, and this last contract, within 3 mths the new girl wanted out as she was a party and the other girls weren't happy so she asked to leave.
      I will never expect anyone to stay where they are unhappy, so I agreed that we would let her out of her lease, if she or...
      07-01-2019, 23:16 PM
    • burglary damage costs
      Colombino
      During the Christmas break, my student tenants have been burglarized while they were away. There is no sign of forced entry into the property, so it seems that one of the tenants had left a window open through which the burglars have entered the house.

I believe that absence of forced entry...
      03-01-2019, 15:28 PM
    • Reply to burglary damage costs
      bluebonnie
      Why no insurance?

It's your responsibility to ensure that internal doors meet fire regulations, and your responsibility to repair them. You can argue about whether you can recover the cost from the tenants when it comes to returning their deposit....
      06-01-2019, 18:40 PM
    Working...
    X