If All Bills included does that mean 24/7 heating?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone who agrees to pay unrestricted heating bills for their tenants needs their bumps feeling. Accept that you will make a huge loss on this tenancy, then get a contract drafted which caps energy usage to something sensible - or even better, make them behave like grown ups and sort out the bills themselves.
    'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

I dont think "all inclusive of bills" implies that heating will be on 24/7 however if we had an arctic chill such that for the dwelling to achieve adequate warmth the boiler would have to be on 24/7. What an incentive to improve your insulation! I personally live in an older home which cannot be altered greatly as it is listed and in freakishly cold cold weather the boiler controller does have to be kept on 24/7.
      People love old houses but not the ideal place in relation to which to grant lettings fully inclusive of energy. Sometimes, however, if letting off a small part where separate metering is not practical its the only way to go........

Comment

If the place is adequately insulated, there will not be much difference in the Winter bills between 24/7 and occupied hours only.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Parental involvement
          aroundincircles
          We are currently having a problem with a group of 6 tenants on a joint AST whereby 4 of them are unhappy with the behaviour of 1 (the 6th tenant has remained silent on the matter). The accusations revolve around late night partying, drug taking and supplying/dealing and the disgruntled group of 4 want...
          05-03-2019, 19:33 PM
        • Reply to Parental involvement
          buzzard1994
          Unless the tenants have specifically asked you to deal with the parents then it is actually illegal for you to do so. If they do authorise it (and I'd require that in writing) you can tell them what you'd tell the tenants.You need proof of the drug taking/ supplying to ask the police to take action...
          13-03-2019, 21:34 PM
          DPT57
          Agree completely...
          12-03-2019, 11:09 AM
          aroundincircles
          AndrewDod,

Whilst your concerns may be real for some, in this case they are six 20/21 year olds who approached us as a group of friends wanting to rent a house for their third year of study. They are hardly adolescent children who didn't know each other. Whilst I have some sympathy for...
          11-03-2019, 16:43 PM
          AndrewDod
          The bottom line of all of this is that the whole legal structure of student tenancies in the UK is a disaster and a disgrace. The idea that 6 adolescent children end up getting trapped in an expensive irreversible arrangement with others they may never have encountered before via a joint tenancy is...
          10-03-2019, 02:21 AM
          aroundincircles
          The license does not say anything specific about drugs. The taking and/or supplying of drugs is a legal matter & in my opinion should be dealt with as such. I doubt that the local authority can insist that landlords take matters into their own hands.

Thanks to everyone for your good...
          07-03-2019, 13:06 PM
          DPT57
          I dont think that attempting to mediate or referring elsewhere would cut it. And what does the licence say on drugs? Many have a zero tollerance approach....
          06-03-2019, 18:48 PM
          jpkeates
          Point out that a section 8 notice ends the tenancy and, if you were successful their child would be homeless and all of the tenants would be liable for the legal costs.
          That's seems a remarkably stupid suggestion.

There's no way that the actions as described by one tenant is sufficient...
          06-03-2019, 17:15 PM
          theartfullodger
          I've had parents wanting to get involved before. Just remind them (unless they are guarantors..) that your tenants are the kids, not them, but thank them for their kind contribution....
          06-03-2019, 15:26 PM
          leaseholder64
          Having procedures in place really means that you must have designed and documented them before the problem arose, which would probably also mean that those procedures were reflected in the tenancy agreement.
          06-03-2019, 14:39 PM
        Working...
        X