If All Bills included does that mean 24/7 heating?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If All Bills included does that mean 24/7 heating?

I have a student house where I have an internet thermostat as they have a bills included contract (where I am responsible to pay utilities). This has worked well for many years until this set of students. The heating is on 9 and a half hours a day and if they want to change the timings they just tell me and I change them immediately. They are supposed to be at uni!

They say they want total control and should be able to have the heating on any time without limits. They say that me not allowing them this could be seen as harassment under Quiet Enjoyment!.

I am a bit stunned by this as always had good relationships with my tenants. Your advice and feedback would be appreciate.

Does ALL Bills Included mean 24/7 use if they want?
    Am I doing something wrong but controlling the timer? IF I was neglectful I could see it but I respond immediately, so not.

Thanks,

Depends on your contract.

If you have let them on room by room basis (HMO) with shared common area, you may have control of the thermostat.

If you let the property out as a whole, unless you explicitly mention you will be controlling the heating, then they should have access and control to the whole property, you messing with the thermostat would be a bit out of ordinary.

Having all bills inclusive is never a good idea, I've had a friend who used to mine bitcoins in a flat he rented because it was all bills inclusive, in the end landlord actually bribed him out of the tenant contract by paying 2 x his monthly rent back to him in order to get him to leave, as he was drawing 5KW from his mining rig.

Comment

The housing health and safety ratings system guidance for landlords bottom of page 24 says:

"Centrally controlled space heating systems should operate in a way that makes sure
      occupants are not exposed to cold indoor temperatures. Occupants should be
      allowed to control temperature within their dwelling."

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...425/150940.pdf

They might argue they can't control it if they have to text you to change things. I cant imagine 24/7 heating would be a reasonable expectation however.

Comment

Just a thought, like mobile data limits, maybe worth having a fair usage policy incorporated into the tenancy. Alternatively may be cap at x amount once over then the tenant pays the remainder.

Comment

What exact wording does it say in the TA about the bills being included? Maybe something in the wording already to stop the T taking the mick.

Comment

Normally there is a stiplulated £2,000 pa cap where tenant's pay above (although I have never enforced). With this one it just says the landlord pays the utilites.

Comment

You are screwed and liable for ALL utility bills unless you can persuade Ts to sign a more reasonable usage TA as outlined above. Serve s21 when permitted.

Comment

Internet thermostats and landlords don't mix.

I'd argue that the existence of an internet thermostat is a breach of quiet enjoyment and risks an illegal eviction claim unless the landlord is resident. Remote monitoring of tenants is not a good idea.
                When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I agree with jpkeates. I think the tenants are probably right. If you contracted to pay the heating bills without limits then thats what you have to do and you must give the tenants control of the theromostat in my view. You can consider placing limits on it next time but you'll have to suck it up for the current set of tenants.

Comment

I have a nest system at home, and can set a pin and an upper temperature limit.
                    Works wonders with SWMBO who is feeling slightly chilly so turns it up to 25.. Limits it to 21

Would the same work here? Dial in an upper limit that is above the normal reasonable range.
                    Once the property is up to temperature then it will stop heating anyway, so its not like the heating is going to be on 24 hrs a day.

Comment

Boilers have a maximum limit at which they can generate heat.
                      If someone sets the property thermostat to above that limit, the boiler will simply run 24/7.

Using a thermostat that lies to the user and which restricts the heat output below what they set is (legally at least) fine at home, but not for a rented property.

The (only) issue here is an inadequate contract that doesn't limit the tenant's usage.
                      When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                      Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

I see my idea would fall foul of the rule that "Occupants should be allowed to control temperature within their dwelling."

One thing I am not clear on, @KerryFl Are you sharing the property (ie lodger agreement) or is this an AST?

Comment

It might also fall foul of the law that prohibits " a landlord from doing " acts likely to interfere with the peace or comfort of the residential occupier or members of his household".

Moreover, they're intrusive. They store records of activity in the property and, albeit in a minor way, monitor the occupants.
                          In your home, you install one, you're making that decision for your own purposes.
                          In a rental, not so much.

Comment

If you have an internet thermostat, I'd expect the heating to be on continuously, with the set point varying throughout the day.

In any case, assuming that reasonable temperatures are maintained at all times, the cost of having it at the highest setting for m hours instead of n hours will not be m/n time higher

Comment

I used to run HIMOs and student houses and heating was often an issue. The problem is that tenants prefer an all-inclusive rent and you may not be competitive without it. Any clause you add to the contract will be difficult to enforce.You are better to make a good allowance for heating overuse in the rent charged. I tried programmable thermostats which worked to a degree but I found that you either take a risk with all-inclusive or don't cover bills and they can use what they like.

I took a hard look at my houses where there was heavy gas and elec usage and I found that the ones where there was poor insulation and damp or cold rooms etc were the ones with the problems. Cold attic rooms are not really acceptable to most people these days for example. Students are varied in their courses, mode of study and lifestyles. Some study mostly at home and this has a heating implication. It may be you have been lucky up till now with tenants and you need to upgrade the property or the way it is tenanted. I insulated one of my houses and sold the rest. My houses were 1900 terraced types which students don't see as a first choice option anyway.

Also you have to ask whether it unreasonable to be able to turn your heating on (yourself) or up when friends come around?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Parental involvement
                                aroundincircles
                                We are currently having a problem with a group of 6 tenants on a joint AST whereby 4 of them are unhappy with the behaviour of 1 (the 6th tenant has remained silent on the matter). The accusations revolve around late night partying, drug taking and supplying/dealing and the disgruntled group of 4 want...
                                05-03-2019, 19:33 PM
                              • Reply to Parental involvement
                                buzzard1994
                                Unless the tenants have specifically asked you to deal with the parents then it is actually illegal for you to do so. If they do authorise it (and I'd require that in writing) you can tell them what you'd tell the tenants.You need proof of the drug taking/ supplying to ask the police to take action...
                                13-03-2019, 21:34 PM
                                DPT57
                                Agree completely...
                                12-03-2019, 11:09 AM
                                aroundincircles
                                AndrewDod,

Whilst your concerns may be real for some, in this case they are six 20/21 year olds who approached us as a group of friends wanting to rent a house for their third year of study. They are hardly adolescent children who didn't know each other. Whilst I have some sympathy for...
                                11-03-2019, 16:43 PM
                                AndrewDod
                                The bottom line of all of this is that the whole legal structure of student tenancies in the UK is a disaster and a disgrace. The idea that 6 adolescent children end up getting trapped in an expensive irreversible arrangement with others they may never have encountered before via a joint tenancy is...
                                10-03-2019, 02:21 AM
                                aroundincircles
                                The license does not say anything specific about drugs. The taking and/or supplying of drugs is a legal matter & in my opinion should be dealt with as such. I doubt that the local authority can insist that landlords take matters into their own hands.

Thanks to everyone for your good...
                                07-03-2019, 13:06 PM
                                DPT57
                                I dont think that attempting to mediate or referring elsewhere would cut it. And what does the licence say on drugs? Many have a zero tollerance approach....
                                06-03-2019, 18:48 PM
                                jpkeates
                                Point out that a section 8 notice ends the tenancy and, if you were successful their child would be homeless and all of the tenants would be liable for the legal costs.
                                That's seems a remarkably stupid suggestion.

There's no way that the actions as described by one tenant is sufficient...
                                06-03-2019, 17:15 PM
                                theartfullodger
                                I've had parents wanting to get involved before. Just remind them (unless they are guarantors..) that your tenants are the kids, not them, but thank them for their kind contribution....
                                06-03-2019, 15:26 PM
                                leaseholder64
                                Having procedures in place really means that you must have designed and documented them before the problem arose, which would probably also mean that those procedures were reflected in the tenancy agreement.
                                06-03-2019, 14:39 PM
                              Working...
                              X