Can I have a friend to stay for a month while he completes an internship?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I have a friend to stay for a month while he completes an internship?

Hi everyone

I'm currently renting a student house at my university and a friend has recently got an internship position close by to where we currently live. My question is, am I allowed to let this friend stay for a few weeks without charging him rent? Surely if he's staying as a guest and not paying rent we're not subletting (which is forbidden in our tenancy agreement)

Is it a joint tenancy with other students? If so then I think its mainly a question for them. If you do, dont be tempted to take any rent or let him pay toward bills or he may acquire tenancy rights and the you have a bigger problem. The other isdue that would worry me as a landlord is overcrowding and potentially being caught by the new HMO licensing regulations, depending on when this is.

Comment

Hi, a few of the students I live with are going back home this summer so he would have his own room, I just wanted to check if I'm within my right to let him stay with us, as long as he doesn't pay rent

Comment

Have the other students paid rent for the period he would be occupying? If so then I dont think you can just assume its ok to give him one of their rooms.. what if the students return for resits or just decide to come back to the house.

Comment

Two are leaving for the whole of summer so he'll definitely have a room for the month he is here, and I believe the others are paying rent for the rooms while they're away, they're okay with him staying for free I believe. Am I right in thinking this is okay and not at all subletting ?

Comment

People change their minds but at the end of the day its your risk. You wouldn't be subletting.

Comment

I agree that all the other housemates must agree, preferably in writing (e.g. text or whatsapp). It may however be worth establishing who would pay for any damage he causes (accidentally or otherwise), and who pays for the energy he uses having showers, washing his clothes etc. It can cause resentment if these issues are not sorted out before the friend comes to stay.
              'Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation fo the first link on one memorable day'. Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X