EPC ratings, what does that mean for us students?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPC ratings, what does that mean for us students?

Hello there,

I'm new to the forum so excuse my lack of expertise.

Recently i've been doing a lot of research in regards to the change in legislation in regards to the minimum EPC rating changing from an G/F to E which comes into play on 01/04/18.
    I've found out that our boiler is a F rating and need to upgrade. I know we as a tenant our landlord is at liberty to sort this however after contacting them i've not got any contact back so I'm starting to get antsy.

What would you suggest the next steps be to get this sorted myself? I have an ideal boiler. Would I get it sorted with them or the original installer maybe? We've got a service form that says that help-link last did a service in 2016. Do we have to pay for this? So many questions. Hopefully someone can help.

Thanks for you help

The new legislation relates to the building as a whole, not to an individual appliance, so an F rated boiler may be acceptable, in a well insulated building.

Comment

Originally posted by leaseholder64 View Post
      The new legislation relates to the building as a whole, not to an individual appliance, so an F rated boiler may be acceptable, in a well insulated building.
      This could explain why the landlord is being so lax about it. That gives me a little peace of mind, thank you.

Comment

You can search for a copy of the EPC and see what rating the property has yourself at https://www.epcregister.com/reportSe...yPostcode.html
        I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Originally posted by cscanlan91 View Post

This could explain why the landlord is being so lax about it. That gives me a little peace of mind, thank you.
          Why is it "lax" - replacing marginally inefficient appliances just for the sake of it is usually neither cost effective nor environmentally friendly.

Even if it did apply to the property as a whole, it does not apply to an ongoing tenancy.

...and you ask "what does that mean for us students?"

What it means in practice is that student rents will rise (on average) - well beyond the amount of money those students will save in energy bills.

Comment

more generally there is about to be some changes to the way EPC scores are calculated. Rather a blunt instrument at present

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post

Why is it "lax" -
              Possibly student speak for reLAXed - i.e. laid back

Comment

I meant relaxed. Apologies.

The landlord told us to take it up with the installer who happen to be help-link after much research.

Looking into it i've seen they've written a piece on this. Can anyone let me know if it's informative? The people on the phone hadn't a clue what I was talking about but I assume this was just the operations department.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X