Deed of Trust and LBTT (Stamp Duty)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deed of Trust and LBTT (Stamp Duty)

I was wondering if you could help me answer a few questions. I am planning to buy a flat in Edinburgh to live in (and rent my current flat out), and I was exploring the possibility of adding my girlfriend to the mortgage for this Edinburgh flat. She owns half a flat in Edinburgh. Technically, this would both count as our second property, so we'd have to pay the extra 3% LBTT stamp duty.

Because she only just bought half a flat in Edinburgh in the last few months, I would be financing everything for this purchase, aswell as paying the mortgage. My intent is to buy a flat in Edinburgh to live in and do up, then sell in 6 months to a year. Then, at that point, I can buy a more expensive flat in Edinburgh with my girlfriend where I don't need to pay the extra 3% stamp duty (because I'd be replacing my main residence). She'd then contribute to the mortgage.

Here are some questions I have regarding this idea:

- I was told by First Mortgage that a solicitor could draw up a "deed of trust" protecting my deposit, if things should go sour and me and my girlfriend were to break up. Since I would be paying the mortgage in its entirety, is there a way where all the proceeds from the flat would go to me, in the unfortunate event where we were to break up? Also, if I were to die unexpectedly, is it possible to cover myself for this eventuality?

- If I were to buy this Edinburgh flat, and sell it within 6 months, would this still be able to count as my main residence? I know there are some rules with "main residences". My current flat would be put on a buy to let and my new flat would be a live in mortgage.

- If I sold within 6 months, would I have to pay the enhanced stamp duty again? I'm not sure if there is a rule where you have to live in the property for a set period of time before buying a new main residence in order to avoid the enhanced LBTT?

- Also, there is the issue with my girlfriends flat. She bought it with a friend 50/50. It's not possible to change her flat to a Buy to Let because her friend still lives there (as a live in owner) and intends to do so for the foreseeable future. What happens in this instance? Can she just keep it empty if she wanted to? Or, does she have to have somebody stay in her room? Because it is only half a flat (which is relatively inexpensive), it wouldn't cost too much to keep empty in the meantime.

I appreciate that this area is a bit of a minefield, but any light you can shed on this would be very helpful.

Thanks!

You should consult the experts in Scotland as the rules are different.

Comment

The experts don't seem to reply...or know what exactly are the rules with regards to this LBTT issue. It's very frustrating!

Comment

Here are some questions I have regarding this idea:

- I was told by First Mortgage that a solicitor could draw up a "deed of trust" protecting my deposit, if things should go sour and me and my girlfriend were to break up. Since I would be paying the mortgage in its entirety, is there a way where all the proceeds from the flat would go to me, in the unfortunate event where we were to break up? Also, if I were to die unexpectedly, is it possible to cover myself for this eventuality? I am by no means an expert but would suspect that this is correct. I would repost this question on the tax thread and am sure you will get a better answer.

- If I were to buy this Edinburgh flat, and sell it within 6 months, would this still be able to count as my main residence? I know there are some rules with "main residences". My current flat would be put on a buy to let and my new flat would be a live in mortgage. You should write to HMRC and elect that this property be your main residence. The test of whether it is your main residence is based on quality of time at the property rather than length. In this scenario you would meet the requirements but I would keep Council Tax and utility bills as evidence in case it was ever questioned.

- If I sold within 6 months, would I have to pay the enhanced stamp duty again? I'm not sure if there is a rule where you have to live in the property for a set period of time before buying a new main residence in order to avoid the enhanced LBTT? Please find attached a link with the rules https://www.revenue.scot/land-buildi...ional-dwelli-5 My own interpretation is that you have two properties at the start and two properties at the end of the transaction so wouldn't have to pay but again I am by no means an expert on this subject.

- Also, there is the issue with my girlfriends flat. She bought it with a friend 50/50. It's not possible to change her flat to a Buy to Let because her friend still lives there (as a live in owner) and intends to do so for the foreseeable future. What happens in this instance? Can she just keep it empty if she wanted to? Or, does she have to have somebody stay in her room? Because it is only half a flat (which is relatively inexpensive), it wouldn't cost too much to keep empty in the meantime. I would imagine this will be governed by the mortgage lendors conditions which will change from lender to lender.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Factors
          fixerupper
          My flat is in a block of 8, with 7 owners paying their share of factor's bills. The 8th hasn't paid in years so the factor went to court and got a lein against him. Means that when he sells up, they get their money. Last month (we get monthly bills), the factor shared the bill between 7 owners ie, we...
          12-07-2018, 07:57 AM
        • Reply to Factors
          theartfullodger
          When you wrote to them raising the matter what did you get in reply?

Contact the First Tier Tribunal, start with their website
          12-07-2018, 11:06 AM
        • End of 6 monthly Winter Lets?
          arealhighlander
          With the change at the end of last year to Private Residential Tenancy, does this mean that people will no longer be able to rent their holiday home out for 6 months as a winter let and then kick the tenant back out once tourist season begins again?

We have a lot of holiday homes in NW...
          02-07-2018, 19:08 PM
        • Reply to End of 6 monthly Winter Lets?
          Sandi
          The new PRT does not have an end date.

So you can’t control when the tenancy ends however if you have a person who only wants to stay for six months then there’s no reason why you cannot go ahead you just can’t force them to move if they change their mind and want to stay longer.
          11-07-2018, 10:45 AM
        • Leaving tenant
          rty4858
          Hello,

Hoping somebody can help me with this (I'm the landlord in this scenario):

Tenant A and Tenant B both signed the same SAT agreement, in 2016, to lease a property. This tenancy agreement has never been ended by either the tenants or myself, so has been continuing on...
          10-07-2018, 14:37 PM
        • Reply to Leaving tenant
          rty4858
          Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, as I was writing that post it was making more and more sense to me to leave things just as they are.

Cheers again for the reply.
          10-07-2018, 15:00 PM
        • Reply to Leaving tenant
          theartfullodger
          In theory BOTH A & B would need to give you written authority to end tenancy.

But if you grant a new tenancy (to anyone !) it will no longer be an SaT but a PRT so no option to end the tenancy for no reason, only on grounds.

I'd do nothing. Currently you have two people...
          10-07-2018, 14:46 PM
        • Illegal/fraudalent subletting situation
          Tadeusz1
          Saw an advert on Gumtree.

Was advised I would bhe living with a live in landlord, thereby making me a lodger or "excluded occupier".

I signed a tenancy agreement and applied for housing benefit. Turns out that the gentleman who gave me the tenancy agreement (and which...
          07-07-2018, 09:16 AM
        • Reply to Illegal/fraudalent subletting situation
          theartfullodger
          As it's Scotland any lodger is almost certainly a ”common law tenant" and a Sherrif court decree is needed to evict
          08-07-2018, 15:16 PM
        • Reply to Illegal/fraudalent subletting situation
          nukecad
          Correction to my post above:
          Of course that should have been LODGER, not tenant....
          08-07-2018, 14:01 PM
        Working...
        X