Cold house

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Cold house

    Hi everybody !
    Apologize in advance for my bad english but I'm french ans speaking about heating issues is quite complicated when it's not your language.
    We moved in a new house in december and unfortunately, discovered that the house is bloody cold even with all the heaters on.
    There is no central heating, only old storage heaters wich I think are probably 20 years old at least. It's cold and quite expensive tho, around 300 quids a month. Just to be precise, they are correctly set up and we have a "peak off" system. Downstairs the temperature is around 14 degrees at the maximum.
    I've contacted the agency and the landlord about this. In first instance the landlord offered to get cheap radiators at Argos. I told him that I'm not going to pay more electricity just because he doesn't want make any improvments in the house. He says he doesn't have the money to put a central heating system and he recently told me that he will probably put the house for sale.
    I'm 5 month pregnant and I'm totally struggled with this situation. We live in a remote location and there is no private tenants at all in our area. The waiting queue for a council house is about a year and I really don't know what to do.
    Does anyone know if there is a way to get this fixed by the landlord ? Or if there is any financial help for him ? The electricity bill cost us a fortune every month, and the house is still bloody cold.

    Any help will be more than appreciated !
    Thanks in advance.

    Get your landlord to agree to a Green Deal Assessment to be done on the property. There may be more funding if you are receiving some state benefits or live in certain areas, or are off the gas grid under Energy Company Obligations. If you let me know your postcode I can give you more information. Green Deal and ECO are available to improve the energy efficiency of the property without upfront capital costs.

    I speak French, but your English is far better than my French, and you write just like our French architect friend.

    Hope this helps a bit
    Jane Needham

    Whilst the advice given is believed to be correct, I hold no liability for any actions taken on the basis of the advice.


      Thanks Jane ! Poor french people, even when writing we can't hide it.
      My postcode is HS3 3AJ. We're not on benefits (unfortunately ?) and the gas is not available in our area... I've checked for walls insulation too but that's only for old or benefits people. :/
      Thanks in advance


        Monique - I suggest you give up your tenancy at the earliest possible moment and move to a let with proper heating and insulation - check the EPC - that is what it is there for. Did you check it or indeed where your shown it?

        Freedom at the point of zero............


          Originally posted by moniquedubois View Post
          My postcode is HS3 ---.
          Lewis off Scotland? Remote location, indeed!

          Btw, British postcodes are very precise (as opposed to French ones), I wouldn't advise posting it on public forums too often...


            I'd suggest transferring this to the Scottish rental forum, as the laws are quite different.

            In Scotland there is - I think - a legally binding repair protocol.


            Try phoning Shelter Scotland on 0808 800 4444 for advice.

            Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.


              I must have driven past your house when I did all the outer hebrides bottom to top - Barra to Harris&Lewis. Hmmmnnnn Scotland gets very cold in winter & the winds off the Atlantic where you are will be very strong... a different world...

              Have you written (yes WRITE!!!! keep copy) a calm polite letter to agency & landlord about this?? Stating it is too cold etc?? The link in the post above has suggested samples.. If you are unhappy with the reply then contact PRHP who are there to sort out disputes between landlord & tenant.. and ask for their help - see...

              You might ask landlord/agent if they are interested in a "Green Deal" assessment - see..

              You should already know about PRHP as your landlord has to have told you about them.. ;-) ..

              You may want to ask Shelter Scotland, a housing advice charity, for advice - 0808 800 4444 see..
              Shelter provides a free, national telephone advice line staffed by trained housing advisers. Lines are open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

              Housing problems can affect anyone. But many people can find it hard to go for advice or just don't know what help is available. Through our helpline, we have helped thousands of people solve all kinds of housing related problems, from finding them a place to sleep to suggesting how to handle mortgage arrears.

              If you have a housing problem, you can call free on 0808 800 4444 (now free to call from all six of the main UK mobile networks, Virgin, Orange, 3, T-mobile, Vodafone and O2, but charges may apply from any other network). Lines are open between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

              Our advisers can:

              give immediate, practical assistance
              tell you your rights
              offer advice and guidance
              link you in with specialist or local services to help you longer term.

              Keep asking if you have more questions.

              Your English is much better than my French!!! How's your Gaelic?? slàinte mhòr
              I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


              Latest Activity


              • Repairs to do, tenants moving out
                I need to get my property fully rewired. It will take 1-2 weeks for all the work to be done and hey will have to move out. My letting agent has advised not to charge rent this month which we haven’t. Is this right? Do I also need to pay for hotel bill too? With the worms being carried out and covering...
                20-01-2018, 15:52 PM
              • Reply to Repairs to do, tenants moving out
                Since you need your tenants cooperation to dig you out of the hole of not complying with electric laws (see other thread, next time please don't start a fresh thread) you pretty much have no alternative than paying for other accomodation, indeed a smart tenant (they might be viewing, it's a free open...
                20-01-2018, 16:09 PM
              • Reply to Repairs to do, tenants moving out
                Stef Cooke
                Oh! Not sure about Scotland, but I thought the procedure was they continue to pay rent, you can choose to reduce it, and you provide alternative accommodation.

                Hopefully someone versed in Scottish law will be along... good luck
                20-01-2018, 15:54 PM
              • Lodger moving out without notice
                Hi, looking for some advice. My lodger has lived with me for 3 years, since October her boyfriend has been staying 6 nights a week. I spoke to her about it in November & she said she would “bear it in mind”.
                I have now asked her to move out. She asked what her notice period was & I...
                19-01-2018, 09:55 AM
              • Reply to Lodger moving out without notice
                I say again, you want the lodger to leave,
                You MUST have the lodger leave.
                You must have her boyfriend leave also.
                she is leaving.

                You have achieved your objective.

                If she loses the new place because you demand rent according to your verbal agreements, she
                20-01-2018, 11:20 AM
              • Reply to Lodger moving out without notice
                Thanks for all the conflicting info! Citizens Advice agree that a common law tenant needs to give reasonable notice which is 28 days.
                Also, I haven’t “evicted” her as such, my circumstances have changed & I explained this to her & she had no problem at all & asked again what...
                20-01-2018, 01:48 AM
              • Reply to Lodger moving out without notice
                1. You want your lodger out.
                2. You have had 3 years of rent.
                3. Give the deposit back, less for any damge, and JOB DONE

                But no, you want MORE rent even though you want your tenant OUT.
                Go to number 1, and repeat.
                20-01-2018, 00:59 AM
              • Reply to Lodger moving out without notice
                About 100 miles north east of that. But that would be around 3 hours by car - so about as long as it takes me to drive from London to Leeds.

                Guess it depends on the definition of "better" -- mine would involve less bloody interference, meddling, nannying and pseudo-protection...
                19-01-2018, 21:20 PM
              • Reply to Lodger moving out without notice
                Think almost all resident landlords and most lodgers don't understand court requirement.

                Some things (IMHO) re LL/T law are better in Scotland than Engerland, some v v.

                Which bit of the Highlands Sandy? My properties are in Lochaber...
                19-01-2018, 17:24 PM
              • Reply to Lodger moving out without notice
                Ahhh.. I missed the Scottish bit in my (spam trapped) response.....
                Why on earth would anyone take on a lodger in Scotland if they have to get a court degree to eject a malign abusive person from their own home? Good grief -- legislators haven't a friggin clue (nor any basic human compassion or...
                19-01-2018, 16:57 PM