Cold house

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cold house

    Hi everybody !
    Apologize in advance for my bad english but I'm french ans speaking about heating issues is quite complicated when it's not your language.
    We moved in a new house in december and unfortunately, discovered that the house is bloody cold even with all the heaters on.
    There is no central heating, only old storage heaters wich I think are probably 20 years old at least. It's cold and quite expensive tho, around 300 quids a month. Just to be precise, they are correctly set up and we have a "peak off" system. Downstairs the temperature is around 14 degrees at the maximum.
    I've contacted the agency and the landlord about this. In first instance the landlord offered to get cheap radiators at Argos. I told him that I'm not going to pay more electricity just because he doesn't want make any improvments in the house. He says he doesn't have the money to put a central heating system and he recently told me that he will probably put the house for sale.
    I'm 5 month pregnant and I'm totally struggled with this situation. We live in a remote location and there is no private tenants at all in our area. The waiting queue for a council house is about a year and I really don't know what to do.
    Does anyone know if there is a way to get this fixed by the landlord ? Or if there is any financial help for him ? The electricity bill cost us a fortune every month, and the house is still bloody cold.

    Any help will be more than appreciated !
    Thanks in advance.

  • #2
    Get your landlord to agree to a Green Deal Assessment to be done on the property. There may be more funding if you are receiving some state benefits or live in certain areas, or are off the gas grid under Energy Company Obligations. If you let me know your postcode I can give you more information. Green Deal and ECO are available to improve the energy efficiency of the property without upfront capital costs.

    I speak French, but your English is far better than my French, and you write just like our French architect friend.

    Hope this helps a bit
    Jane Needham

    Whilst the advice given is believed to be correct, I hold no liability for any actions taken on the basis of the advice.


    • #3
      Thanks Jane ! Poor french people, even when writing we can't hide it.
      My postcode is HS3 3AJ. We're not on benefits (unfortunately ?) and the gas is not available in our area... I've checked for walls insulation too but that's only for old or benefits people. :/
      Thanks in advance


      • #4
        Monique - I suggest you give up your tenancy at the earliest possible moment and move to a let with proper heating and insulation - check the EPC - that is what it is there for. Did you check it or indeed where your shown it?

        Freedom at the point of zero............


        • #5
          Originally posted by moniquedubois View Post
          My postcode is HS3 ---.
          Lewis off Scotland? Remote location, indeed!

          Btw, British postcodes are very precise (as opposed to French ones), I wouldn't advise posting it on public forums too often...


          • #6
            I'd suggest transferring this to the Scottish rental forum, as the laws are quite different.

            In Scotland there is - I think - a legally binding repair protocol.


            Try phoning Shelter Scotland on 0808 800 4444 for advice.

            Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.


            • #7
              I must have driven past your house when I did all the outer hebrides bottom to top - Barra to Harris&Lewis. Hmmmnnnn Scotland gets very cold in winter & the winds off the Atlantic where you are will be very strong... a different world...

              Have you written (yes WRITE!!!! keep copy) a calm polite letter to agency & landlord about this?? Stating it is too cold etc?? The link in the post above has suggested samples.. If you are unhappy with the reply then contact PRHP who are there to sort out disputes between landlord & tenant.. and ask for their help - see...

              You might ask landlord/agent if they are interested in a "Green Deal" assessment - see..

              You should already know about PRHP as your landlord has to have told you about them.. ;-) ..

              You may want to ask Shelter Scotland, a housing advice charity, for advice - 0808 800 4444 see..
              Shelter provides a free, national telephone advice line staffed by trained housing advisers. Lines are open from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

              Housing problems can affect anyone. But many people can find it hard to go for advice or just don't know what help is available. Through our helpline, we have helped thousands of people solve all kinds of housing related problems, from finding them a place to sleep to suggesting how to handle mortgage arrears.

              If you have a housing problem, you can call free on 0808 800 4444 (now free to call from all six of the main UK mobile networks, Virgin, Orange, 3, T-mobile, Vodafone and O2, but charges may apply from any other network). Lines are open between 9am and 5pm, Monday to Friday.

              Our advisers can:

              give immediate, practical assistance
              tell you your rights
              offer advice and guidance
              link you in with specialist or local services to help you longer term.

              Keep asking if you have more questions.

              Your English is much better than my French!!! How's your Gaelic?? slàinte mhòr
              I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


              Latest Activity