Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After 2 months notice, he hasn't signed

Hi all I hope someone can help me.
    I got call from council saying that my tenant say's he's homeless.
    Which in fact he hadnt given me notice of any kind.
    He was on 6 month short assured tenancy that rolls over to monthly.
    He has been in property for 10 months 2 of which no rent was paid.
    I wrote to him about rent arrears and no contact was made, he doesn't take my calls either. I then sent another letter giving him two months notice to vacate the property. No contact was made by him. After one month into his notice, I sent another letter stating that since he had made no contact with me, I would be doing a saftey inspection giving him a date and time I would be round and that I would let myself in, in his absence if he hadnt arranged an alternative date/time. On this visit I realized he had infact moved out, leaving behind 4 dozen bin bags with kitchen waste in shed. Some bedside furniture etc. It is now end of notice period and my letters are still there unopened and unsigned. Can I now relet my property? If so what do I do with his belongings? Council wont give me his forwarding address, or pass anything on to him from me.
    Can anyone help me please?

Originally posted by 1st timer View Post
    Hi all I hope someone can help me.
    I got call from council saying that my tenant say's he's homeless.
    Which in fact he hadnt given me notice of any kind.
    He was on 6 month short assured tenancy that rolls over to monthly.
    He has been in property for 10 months 2 of which no rent was paid.
    I wrote to him about rent arrears and no contact was made, he doesn't take my calls either. I then sent another letter giving him two months notice to vacate the property. No contact was made by him. After one month into his notice, I sent another letter stating that since he had made no contact with me, I would be doing a saftey inspection giving him a date and time I would be round and that I would let myself in, in his absence if he hadnt arranged an alternative date/time. On this visit I realized he had infact moved out, leaving behind 4 dozen bin bags with kitchen waste in shed. Some bedside furniture etc. It is now end of notice period and my letters are still there unopened and unsigned. Can I now relet my property? If so what do I do with his belongings? Council wont give me his forwarding address, or pass anything on to him from me.
    Can anyone help me please?
    At the very least I'd formally write to the Council (with Proof of Posting etc) stating that your tenant's claim of homelessness was a lie.

Two reasons for that:

1 - A corollary of the claim may be a claim that you *made* him homeless, which could be used as a contemporaneous account in subsequent legal actions etc, and needs to be refuted.
    2 - That there may be a fraudulent claim involved if he was only "homeless" of his own accord.

On the repossession, others are better placed to advise, as it is Scottish Law.

ML
    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Holiday letting in Scotland
      HantsAgent
      My wife’s best friend lives in Inverness and we visit them a couple of times per year.

We’ve fallen in love with the Highlands and, in particular, the Cairngorms NP. We tend to visit Aviemore every time we go up there and I’ve been very impressed with how well used it is all year...
      20-08-2018, 14:13 PM
    • Reply to Holiday letting in Scotland
      HantsAgent
      Thanks for the advice.

Yes, any agent would need to be both local and experienced in this sort of thing.

So, from what you’re saying, someone could book to take it on for a week or two but then stay as long as they want provided they continued to pay the rent?

21-08-2018, 06:53 AM
    • Reply to Holiday letting in Scotland
      theartfullodger
      Aye, fabulous country (**). Be aware if someone takes the holiday let but actually resides there then it is, regardless of paperwork, a PRT new form Scottish tenancy with tenant having right to give notice after 28 days, landlord may only evict for breach of tenancy (eg not paying rent).

20-08-2018, 14:16 PM
    • Scottish short assured tenancy question
      Scotty4406
      This is a duplicate post of one I posted earlier in the wrong section.....
      I granted a short assured tenancy in February 2017 for a 12 month duration. The tenancy was continued by tacit relocation in February 2018 on the same terms and conditions.
      At present, the tenant has indicated that...
      20-08-2018, 13:30 PM
    • Reply to Scottish short assured tenancy question
      theartfullodger
      Rent increase form (try to avoid needing this ) is AT1(L) - see
      https://beta.gov.scot/publications/r...nancies-forms/

SaT continues as does tacit relocation - both forever.
      20-08-2018, 13:50 PM
    • Factors
      fixerupper
      My flat is in a block of 8, with 7 owners paying their share of factor's bills. The 8th hasn't paid in years so the factor went to court and got a lein against him. Means that when he sells up, they get their money. Last month (we get monthly bills), the factor shared the bill between 7 owners ie, we...
      12-07-2018, 07:57 AM
    • Reply to Factors
      baldelectrician
      If the factor has a decree and the property concerned is rented by the owner the factors could obtain a rent arrestment order and serve it on the tenant.
      This will require the tenant to pay rental monies to the sheriff officers till the debt is cleared, the tenant also cannot be evicted for rent...
      18-08-2018, 09:28 AM
    • Reply to Factors
      fixerupper
      They said either the 7 pay up or they're leaving. I don't want the building to be without a factor so guess I need to pay up
      16-08-2018, 18:24 PM
    • Advice needed
      Scottishrenter
      So my joyfull rented house is still falling apart.
      the boiler is kaput an old back boiler I have 2 oil filled heaters and emersion now. The fail sheet has all fails apart from the co2 detector I bought. 7 months since last been able to use gas.
      The window lock in bedroom is still knackered....
      13-08-2018, 14:57 PM
    • Correct procedure for eviction
      Dumbo
      Hi

I have been living overseas and renting out my property for 4 years. I am returning to Scotland and wish to live in my property. The lease expires in October 2018 and I think it's an assured tenancy given it commenced prior to the changes in December 2017.

I want to be fair...
      12-08-2018, 03:35 AM
    Working...
    X