Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After 2 months notice, he hasn't signed

Hi all I hope someone can help me.
    I got call from council saying that my tenant say's he's homeless.
    Which in fact he hadnt given me notice of any kind.
    He was on 6 month short assured tenancy that rolls over to monthly.
    He has been in property for 10 months 2 of which no rent was paid.
    I wrote to him about rent arrears and no contact was made, he doesn't take my calls either. I then sent another letter giving him two months notice to vacate the property. No contact was made by him. After one month into his notice, I sent another letter stating that since he had made no contact with me, I would be doing a saftey inspection giving him a date and time I would be round and that I would let myself in, in his absence if he hadnt arranged an alternative date/time. On this visit I realized he had infact moved out, leaving behind 4 dozen bin bags with kitchen waste in shed. Some bedside furniture etc. It is now end of notice period and my letters are still there unopened and unsigned. Can I now relet my property? If so what do I do with his belongings? Council wont give me his forwarding address, or pass anything on to him from me.
    Can anyone help me please?

Originally posted by 1st timer View Post
    Hi all I hope someone can help me.
    I got call from council saying that my tenant say's he's homeless.
    Which in fact he hadnt given me notice of any kind.
    He was on 6 month short assured tenancy that rolls over to monthly.
    He has been in property for 10 months 2 of which no rent was paid.
    I wrote to him about rent arrears and no contact was made, he doesn't take my calls either. I then sent another letter giving him two months notice to vacate the property. No contact was made by him. After one month into his notice, I sent another letter stating that since he had made no contact with me, I would be doing a saftey inspection giving him a date and time I would be round and that I would let myself in, in his absence if he hadnt arranged an alternative date/time. On this visit I realized he had infact moved out, leaving behind 4 dozen bin bags with kitchen waste in shed. Some bedside furniture etc. It is now end of notice period and my letters are still there unopened and unsigned. Can I now relet my property? If so what do I do with his belongings? Council wont give me his forwarding address, or pass anything on to him from me.
    Can anyone help me please?
    At the very least I'd formally write to the Council (with Proof of Posting etc) stating that your tenant's claim of homelessness was a lie.

Two reasons for that:

1 - A corollary of the claim may be a claim that you *made* him homeless, which could be used as a contemporaneous account in subsequent legal actions etc, and needs to be refuted.
    2 - That there may be a fraudulent claim involved if he was only "homeless" of his own accord.

On the repossession, others are better placed to advise, as it is Scottish Law.

ML
    Refer Mad Regulators to Arkell vs Pressdram.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Legality and procedure of ending (SSTA) Joint Tenancy.
      marmitestainz
      Hello,

I have been trying to work out where I stand here for quite some time, I have researched what I can but am still unsure of my rights in this situation:
      (Sorry for the length of this)

I am a tenant of an Aberdeen City Council flat with Short Scottish Secure Tenancy...
      25-07-2017, 17:47 PM
    • Reply to Legality and procedure of ending (SSTA) Joint Tenancy.
      marmitestainz
      Yes. And if the council are legally required to have confirmation from both joint tenants it would be unlawful for them to grant a single tenant termination without this.

Unless she forged my signature or something like that I'm not sure why I was not contacted.

If indeed there...
      26-07-2017, 13:37 PM
      MrShed
      So get her to pay you the rent!! You cant arbitrarily pick the council over the person at fault.

You may, or may not, be correct. But your opinion is irrelevant, what matters is the law....
      26-07-2017, 13:01 PM
      marmitestainz
      Yes, I realise she was at fault. I am of the opinion that those who deal with this professionally are the ones who should do everything by the book.

Within the tenancy agreement it's stated that if you are married or living as partners within the joint tenancy both parties must be made...
      26-07-2017, 12:59 PM
      MrShed
      I dont think the council have got anything wrong here, I think your ex has.

She needed to give you 4 weeks notice in writing. She clearly actually did this to the council, but not to you. I can find no reference anywhere that the council needed to notify you of this, and I certainly dont...
      25-07-2017, 21:39 PM
      theartfullodger
      Whilst unlikely to happen, a landlord may take court action (after serving valid notices..) over any rent arrears, even only 1p for 1 day. And you can get evicted - although hopefully not in this case - so this needs attention, urgently.

STRONGLY suggest you 'phone Shelter Scotland tomorrow...
      25-07-2017, 18:18 PM
    • Simple Proceedure for Claim against Landlord?
      Melmel
      I am pursuing my Landlord for a material breach of the tenancy. He denied us an 1/8th of the floorspace for over 3 years despite requests to remove his property.
      It was my intention to raise a small claims action however have been reading that a simple proceedure might be an option. Can anyone...
      17-07-2017, 20:35 PM
    • Reply to Simple Proceedure for Claim against Landlord?
      Melmel
      Yes. Just pay the excess.
      20-07-2017, 17:41 PM
      MrShed
      Out of interest, will that cover your court costs also?
      20-07-2017, 16:23 PM
      Melmel
      Either way, we pay our excess on the insurance and that's it... I don't see the downside risk....
      20-07-2017, 16:17 PM
    Working...
    X