Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish landlord- advice re tenant's damage/dirt

Any advice gratefuly appreciated on the below -

1) My tenant moves out at the end of the tenancy agreement. If there is any damage to items with nominal value (like cups, plates etc) how do I arrive at a cost including depreciation etc?

2) If the oven is filthy can I charge them to get this cleaned professionally and do I need to provide receipts for all purchases/costs?

3) With new tenants, am I responsible for providing replacements for all the items listed in the inventory. For example, if the washine machine of television breaks do i have to get it fixed or provide a similar replacement? Or, can I put a clause in the lease stating that the tenant is responsible for the up-keep and repair of such items?

4) Finally, I have read a little about S21 forms recently on the forum. Does this legislation apply in Scotland/is there an equivelant? Briefly and to someone new to this business, what is this for and should I be using it?

Once again, thanks to those who provide any advice on the above.

Originally posted by EH11 View Post
    Any advice gratefuly appreciated on the below -

1) My tenant moves out at the end of the tenancy agreement. If there is any damage to items with nominal value (like cups, plates etc) how do I arrive at a cost including depreciation etc?

You would technically charge what you would pay for a second hand item of the same age.

2) If the oven is filthy can I charge them to get this cleaned professionally and do I need to provide receipts for all purchases/costs?

Yes and yes, as long as the oven was clean when they moved in and you have documentary evidence to support this.

3) With new tenants, am I responsible for providing replacements for all the items listed in the inventory. For example, if the washine machine of television breaks do i have to get it fixed or provide a similar replacement? Or, can I put a clause in the lease stating that the tenant is responsible for the up-keep and repair of such items?

You must fix or replace...you cannot pass this responsibility onto the tenant.

4) Finally, I have read a little about S21 forms recently on the forum. Does this legislation apply in Scotland/is there an equivelant? Briefly and to someone new to this business, what is this for and should I be using it?

Once again, thanks to those who provide any advice on the above.

Don't know about 4 I'm afraid, regarding the Scotland thing, but I assume it is the same. You will have to use a S21 form at some point, it is used to evict tenants. But there is more than enough information already on the forum about them.
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
    X