Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Professional Carpet Cleaning

Hi

I'm soon due to move out of a house I've been renting for the last 4 months. I've got two cats, and because of that there was an additional clause added to the Private Residential Tenancy Agreement stating that I had to have carpets and furnishings professionally cleaned and deoderised when I moved out.

However, when I moved in it was clear that the carpets had not been professionally before the start of my tenancy - they were stained throughout the house, and badly worn in places. This is noted in the inventory that I signed after moving in. I've asked the letting agency if I will be held to the clause about getting the carpets cleaned given the state they were in when I moved in, but all they will say is that they acknowledge what is recorded in the inventory, and that the house will be inspected after I move out and it will be up to the landlord to decide if I should be held to the cleaning clause. By that time it will be too late for me to organise cleaning myself, and whatever he decides to do will be deducted from my deposit (which is held by SafeDeposits Scotland).

Can anyone please give me some advice as to whether the landlord can hold me to the cleaning clause, or if I have a fair case for not doing it given then state of the carpets when I moved in?

Thanks for your help!
    Graham

I would get them cleaned so that you have a receipt for it so you get your deposit back. The problem is that if you don't, your probably going to make the LL think twice before letting a T with pets take on a property in the future, limiting accommodation for other T's.

Comment

I think the landlord would have a fairer case for holding you to the cleaning clause than you would for trying to wriggle out of paying for it, because the tenancy agreement that you agreed to states that you would pay for the carpets to be professionally cleaned at tenancy end.
      You might get lucky and find that you have a landlord that can’t be bothered to insist that you stick to your side of the tenancy agreement.

Comment

The clause requiring the professional cleaning isn't legal, so it can't be enforced (Tenant Fees Act).
        The agent (and landlord) should have known that.

However, from a moral point of view, you agreed to the clause, which was added purely to facilitate your staying there with your pets.
        And I'm a cat owner and there's a lot more cat by-product in those carpets than is visible, they're definitely not in the same condition as when you moved in, even if they were already worn and stained.

You need to get them back to a pre-pet condition (ie. as they were when you moved in), and it's hard to see how you'll do that without proper cleaning, even if you do it yourself with a rented cleaner.
        That might have the side effect of helping with some of the existing stains, but it's incidental.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Too late now, but I would have got the stains cleaned by the Landlord at the beginning of the Tenancy - or agreed a £££ off your first months rent to "compensate" for the condition.

Then, at the end, you would be happy to clean properly knowing the carpets were clean to begin with - or you'd have had £££ to cover the additional (negligible) cost of cleaning the stains as well as the pet use.

I think you're going to struggle to have the carpets properly cleaned but still leave those original stains in place lol
          My views are my own - you may not agree with them. I tend say things as I see them and I don't do "political correctness". Just because we may not agree you can still buy me a pint lol

Comment

Thanks for your feedback everyone, I'll get them cleaned, that definitely feels like the least-hassle and least-stress option...and I did agree to do it. And I completely agree re the point about pet-friendly accommodation - it was hard enough to find somewhere that accepted the cats, so I don't want to do anything to further diminish the supply!

Thanks again!

Comment

It is sometimes said, (on here and elsewhere) that a tenant must return the property in the same condition that it was let, but my understanding is that this isn't strictly true. If the tenancy agreement has a valid clause requiring you to clean the carpets on exit then this should be enforceable regardless of their condition on entry. As jpkeates says, it's up to you, not the landlord if you want to use a company to clean it.

Comment

Firstly- if the clause is unfair (which it is in Scotland) you cannot he held to it, however if I were in your position I would be tempted to hire one of these Rug Doctor devices to clean the carpets and make the place smell fresh.

The LL will have a hard time deducting money if you leave the carpet cleaner than you got it

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                X