• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest Activity

Collapse

• university and residence deposits
    by islandgirl
    Daughter had an offer from a Scottish uni. Due to the estimated grades situation she did not meet conditions and cannot go (but has a place at her insurance uni thank goodness!) . We were told we had to reserve her residence (which is privately run) and pay 135 pounds deposit which we did. We did not...
    18-08-2020, 11:11 AM
  • Reply to university and residence deposits
    by islandgirl
    Thank you Mooch - much appreciated - I have thought that the First Tier Tribunal was correct but apparently not. However if student lets are exempt from the illegal premium rule presumably I would still not get my money back?
    30-11-2020, 19:09 PM
  • Reply to university and residence deposits
    by mooch
    Looks like you need the Simple Procedure, because this tenancy had not begun, and as outlined in the first link that AD gave to you. Here it is again http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/legal...nlawful_fees#1...
    30-11-2020, 19:01 PM
  • Role of director in Residential management company
    by WellHP
    Hi,

Our board of directors wish to simplify and be less involved in the day to day running of our block of flats.
    They have on more than one occasion had to (successfully) defend legal claims for disrepair from residents who have become exasperated with the managing agents and tried...
    29-11-2020, 14:49 PM
  • Reply to Role of director in Residential management company
    by AndrewDod
    This is a nonsense

a) The Directors ARE responsible. They cannot devolve that responsibility. If the agent stuffs up the Directors/Company are responsible. They need to manage the agent.

b) They cannot claim their defence out of service charge funds - it is a not a service...
    29-11-2020, 17:50 PM
  • Windows
    by annathomo
    Hi,
    I wonder if you can help. I rent a private property in Edinburgh and I moved in last August. When I viewed the property the double glazing units in the bedrooms had blown and I was assured they would be fixed prior to move in. I since moved in and didn’t view the property again and the units...
    27-11-2020, 11:24 AM
  • Reply to Windows
    by annathomo
    Well I am not a glazer but I assume the water is streaming down the window, and the blind blows in the wind because the glazing unit has failed so I assume it is linked. The windows where the glazing unit hasn’t failed don’t do that. But I have absolutely no idea and I’ll see what the FTT say....
    28-11-2020, 16:22 PM
  • Reply to Windows
    by AndrewDod
    The wind or watertight bit I can definitely buy. But that is a totally different issue to the double glazing vacuum being blown.

But that said it depends how much the lack of airtightness is. No property should be 100% airtight anyway (but should be watertight)....
    28-11-2020, 14:59 PM
  • Reply to Windows
    by annathomo
    Hi both. Shelter advised that as the window gets very wet and there is a draught it doesn’t meet the repairing standard in that the property is not wind or watertight, and that the structure of the building is not in a reasonable state of repair. Having done a quick search on FTT they have previously...
    28-11-2020, 14:18 PM
  • Reply to Windows
    by AndrewDod
    So arbitrary make-it-up-as-you-go law in other words.

Scotland is a bit like North Korea I guess....
    27-11-2020, 21:30 PM
Working...
X