Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rotting timber windows

Hello,
    I live in a flat which has a property factor. I have rotting timber windows.
    There are problems with the roof and as a result water hasn't been draining correctly and as such the timber windows have rotted.The roof needs to be fixed first and then the stonework on the walls will need to dry out or be treated. When that has been completed who should pay for timber window replacement or repair? I have heard some people say that i should pay for the repairs however that seems like saying it's your car and sorry someone crashed into you but you have to pay for it.
    I'm hoping the shared buildings insurance will pay for the damage but sadly the roof appears to have a history of poor maintenance along with issues with various property factors so my confidence in insurance paying up is low. Should insurance not pay up who is liable?

You are in Scotland. When you live in a place where the nanny state aims to (factor) set minimum standards of practice for the residential property and land management industry and to provide increased protection for homeowners - why would you be surprised to find that standards are dismal? A bit like North Korea.

Insurance doesn't pay for stuff like this - it is not an insured event.

Suggest you apply to the "homeowner housing panel for a determination if the homeowner believes that his or her property factor has failed to comply with the Code"

Comment

Thanks for responding Andrew.

Are you indicating that the failure to maintain the roof or adequately deal with issues is in-itself liable for the damage to the windows and as such I/others need to prove that to claim costs for repairs?

Comment

No - I'm suggesting that because they set up a useless fruitless mechanism for state control of rotting windows you should use that mechanism.

Do you have a lease of some sort which defines responsibility for the windows?

Comment

I think thats the issue. It isn't clear so everyone ducks for cover and the person who lives/owns the flat has to do all the donkey work.

It seems clear to me. Problem with the roof has caused damage to the stonework and all timber attached to it (struts and windows). Fix the roof (common or insurance), fix the stonework (common or insurance) fix the rotting timbers (should be covered by common or insurance). Trying to pin this down is like running up a hill full of treacle.

Comment

If you have rotten window frames, the other flats in your block must have same problem. The Managing Agent should arrange replacement of all windows through the service charge account.

Comment

They don't have the same problem. The building has many sections. The problem with the roof effects one of the walls. The rotten window frames are on that wall. 3 flats share that wall the flat i have is the top. I would guess if left as is then the flats below would also begin to suffer.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X