HMO Licensing (Scotland)

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    HMO Licensing (Scotland)


    I am a fairly inexperienced when it comes to HMO licensing and I have a query about some potential tenants:

    I have two guys, who have stated they are in a relationship. Themselves and one other mutual friend (unrelated) are planning on living together. I am unsure if this meets the criteria that would mean an HMO is required or if this is considered as two households. I can't find any guidance on cohabiting couples and what their stance is in regards to the number of households.

    Any help would be appreciated


    In England this would be an HMO. A co habiting couple forms one household. The friend is the second household So that is 2 or more households and 3 or more people. The definition of a House in Multiple Occupation in England is a property occupied by three or more people (including children) who form two or more households.


      same in Scotland just worded a bit differently. You need a house in multiple occupancy (HMO) licence if both of the following apply: you want to rent your property out to 3 or more tenants. none of the tenants are related or part of the same family.


        It's broadly the same in Scotland, except (I think) all HMOs have to be licensed.

        Two people in a relationship and a friend is three people in two households.
        It's a very difficult combination to rent in both countries as a consequence.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).


        Latest Activity