Help with water leak and unhelpful neighbour

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with water leak and unhelpful neighbour

Hi everyone, I am having issues with my 1 bedroom ground floor flat which I rent out in Scotland. There is water leak coming through the bedroom ceiling, a constant drip. When I went to speak to the neighbour upstairs regarding the problem he was not very helpful. Eventually I had to go up with my own plumbers to have a look and they pinpointed the leak to their water tank. Obviously this is not something I can repair and I am left waiting with my tennant sleeping in the living room and a bucket catching the drip in the bedroom. The neighbour is going through insurance and he is not moving quickly. Is there anything I can do to speed up the process of this bad situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated

I would point out to insurers that you will also be claiming 'loss of rent' for time when your flat is not fully occupiable.

Comment

Thank you for your reply JK0. This is something I have not thought of asking. It is not my insurance that is dealing with this and I have no way of contacting them or getting the message through my neighbour. Would you say I should contact my insurance even though I wont be claiming through them?

Comment

Presumably your neighbour dropped it out at some point what company he is with, didn't he? I'd drop them a line.

Comment

Claim off your own Insurers, they can recover their costs from neighour's Ins Co.

Comment

Originally posted by mariner View Post
            Claim off your own Insurers, they can recover their costs from neighour's Ins Co.
            (But be prepared to pay an excess and higher premiums in future years.) That's why I always claim against miscreant directly.

Comment

If I had water coming from an upper flat I would turn the supply going to upstairs off
              I would inform them of this in writing and let them know my actions were to protect the fabric of our building.

That will galvanise their mind

Comment

Thanks for your suggestion baldelectrician. That would be a good idea but I do worry they will turn it back on or take longer to do the repair just to be inconvenient. Are the local councils any good with helping with these situations?

Comment

If you are in the bottom flat the water usually comes from the outside, through the lower property and up to the next one.
                  Get a plumber in to check- he or she can add a separate valve that isolates the pipe going upstairs which means you can have water on downstairs whilst the upper flat is off.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                  X