tenant police incident & landlord billed

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    tenant police incident & landlord billed


    My tenant contacted police Scotland during a dispute with partner (who’s not part of my tenancy agreement). Police refuse to provide any details citing data protection reasons, however, end result was my front door being knocked down and boarded up.

    The police have tried to get the tenant partner to pay with no success and have now sent me the bill.

    seems ridiculous that despite having zero involvement or awareness of this other than seeing my badly refitted door practically hanging off the hinges (presumably by tenant partner) that I now have to pay for it.

    Has as anyone else experienced similar? Did you pay? Police are adamant that I am liable as they’ve been unsuccessful in getting the payment from the person responsible.


    Sounds like they're trying it on to me. Surely the person responsible IS the person responsible. I'd ask them for documentation/legislation or WHY that says you are responsible for payment and for the actions of your tenant's partner.


      Pay up and deduct from deposit at end of tenancy?


        Ask to the police to state under what part of the Scottish legislation you are liable.
        Then tell us.

        Freedom at the point of zero............


          As above, and ask SaL helpline for guidance
          I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


            This sort of thing gets asked quite often. (and there's been plenty of debate on here alone).

            It's a 2-pronged situation -

            The police have a "power of entry" to stop a crime in progress, or if there is a concern for the welfare of the occupant.
            They can't be sued for doing their job, and if that means breaking a door in then they will.

            In this case it sounds like they may have forced entry to protect your tenant from abuse/injury by her partner.
            There's a big crackdown, rightfully, on domestic abuse at the moment, especially in Scotland.

            Although it's still not clear here if it was the police or the agressive partner that broke the door in the first place?

            Once the crime/concern is over then the police role changes.
            They act as "agents of necessity", acting on owner/occupants behalf by asking the securers to carry out the work (typically boarding up).
            The company sends the bill to owner/occupant (not to the police) and they (or their insurers) are responsible for paying it.

            Cambridge English Dictionary:
            Agent of necessity - Someone who represents another person in an emergency, but who has not officially been given the right to do so.
            You could go to court and argue that the police had no right to contract on your behalf to get the property secured.
            They'll argue that they were acting as "agents of necessity", which is an established principle in law.
            Which way do you think the court would go?

            If there was someone still in the property then you could argue that there was no need for an "agent of necessity" and that the police should have contacted you, or left it to the occupier to arrange for securing the property, which could be more successful.
            (But if they asked the tenant if they wanted then to get someone to secure it and the tenant said 'go ahead they would still have justification).

            You could also try to argue that the joiner charged too much or did more work than was necessary to secure the property.
            But that's an argument about the cost between you and the joiner, not the police.

            In the end it's the partner who is ultimately responsible and who should be paying, but it looks like you'll end up stuck with the bill.


              Thanks for your responses.

              Ive already taken the tenant deposit to pay for a new door and frame. Arrears is another matter....
              The door had a big hole in it either from the police smashing it in or from the tenants partner who seems to enjoy wrecking things given that 2 other internal doors with holes in them also needed replaced! Door was definitely forced by police.

              I do think they’re trying their luck but wouldn’t want that debt to be associated with me and potentially damage credit rating.


                Oh, well then tenant either reimburses you or gets a s21 notice, and eventually possession order. Frankly, I think you can do without tenants like that.


                  Originally posted by Cmcb View Post
                  Thanks for your responses.

                  Ive already taken the tenant deposit to pay for a new door and frame. .....
                  I trust with tenant's written agreement,,,,

                  Better luck next time

                  I am legally unqualified: If you need to rely on advice check it with a suitable authority - eg a solicitor specialising in landlord/tenant law...


                  Latest Activity


                  • Factors
                    My flat is in a block of 8, with 7 owners paying their share of factor's bills. The 8th hasn't paid in years so the factor went to court and got a lein against him. Means that when he sells up, they get their money. Last month (we get monthly bills), the factor shared the bill between 7 owners ie, we...
                    12-07-2018, 07:57 AM
                  • Reply to Factors
                    When you wrote to them raising the matter what did you get in reply?

                    Contact the First Tier Tribunal, start with their website
                    12-07-2018, 11:06 AM
                  • End of 6 monthly Winter Lets?
                    With the change at the end of last year to Private Residential Tenancy, does this mean that people will no longer be able to rent their holiday home out for 6 months as a winter let and then kick the tenant back out once tourist season begins again?

                    We have a lot of holiday homes in NW...
                    02-07-2018, 19:08 PM
                  • Reply to End of 6 monthly Winter Lets?
                    The new PRT does not have an end date.

                    So you can’t control when the tenancy ends however if you have a person who only wants to stay for six months then there’s no reason why you cannot go ahead you just can’t force them to move if they change their mind and want to stay longer.
                    11-07-2018, 10:45 AM
                  • Leaving tenant

                    Hoping somebody can help me with this (I'm the landlord in this scenario):

                    Tenant A and Tenant B both signed the same SAT agreement, in 2016, to lease a property. This tenancy agreement has never been ended by either the tenants or myself, so has been continuing on...
                    10-07-2018, 14:37 PM
                  • Reply to Leaving tenant
                    Thanks for the reply.

                    Yeah, as I was writing that post it was making more and more sense to me to leave things just as they are.

                    Cheers again for the reply.
                    10-07-2018, 15:00 PM
                  • Reply to Leaving tenant
                    In theory BOTH A & B would need to give you written authority to end tenancy.

                    But if you grant a new tenancy (to anyone !) it will no longer be an SaT but a PRT so no option to end the tenancy for no reason, only on grounds.

                    I'd do nothing. Currently you have two people...
                    10-07-2018, 14:46 PM
                  • Illegal/fraudalent subletting situation
                    Saw an advert on Gumtree.

                    Was advised I would bhe living with a live in landlord, thereby making me a lodger or "excluded occupier".

                    I signed a tenancy agreement and applied for housing benefit. Turns out that the gentleman who gave me the tenancy agreement (and which...
                    07-07-2018, 09:16 AM
                  • Reply to Illegal/fraudalent subletting situation
                    As it's Scotland any lodger is almost certainly a ”common law tenant" and a Sherrif court decree is needed to evict
                    08-07-2018, 15:16 PM
                  • Reply to Illegal/fraudalent subletting situation
                    Correction to my post above:
                    Of course that should have been LODGER, not tenant....
                    08-07-2018, 14:01 PM